A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 first tow to dealer since new...sigh...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer called me saying they need my loaner back and they’ll give me a new one.

And while I was there, I went to go see my car and it was back on the rack after failing the engine out injector change plus some timing change.

They have to have all the Germans come back and they think another engine out is in the cards. Ugh.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
The dealer called me saying they need my loaner back and they’ll give me a new one.

And while I was there, I went to go see my car and it was back on the rack after failing the engine out injector change plus some timing change.

They have to have all the Germans come back and they think another engine out is in the cards. Ugh.
After this most recent update, it seems something is quite suspicious. As I have never heard of two contiguous engine removal procedures for one such issue. To be quite honest the D3 computer diagnostic systems are enough to figure and track down 80% of the issues present. I would find why this repair is oriented to be highly over complicated mess ASAP, also I would make documentation of every part of the engine if possible. If MP4 is correct and they are replacing turbos to date, they may not want their customers to know, thus changing the part number and having a paper trail, if you have prior part numbers that is.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another call from Audi, apparently the car has thrown another code, a catalytic converter fault, and now that is being replaced. Ofcourse, the cat is on back order and it is unknown when they can get one.

Hey, at least they didn't have to pull the engine a second time! That said, they are not sure if replacing the catalytic converter will cure the problems of the car.

It baffles me why starting the 7th week in the shop, my car has been so hard to diagnose.

An educated guess regarding how much this would've costed me out of pocket if I were out of factory warranty (it expires in december) puts me in the tens of thousands just for diagnosis.

Sigh.....I am the classic cautionary tale for the german luxury brands.

Last edited by Ravill; 11-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Poor showing by Audi USA and Rector

Puzzling. Besides your frustration and poor experience, frankly more and more a black eye for both Rector and Audi. This should not take four weeks, or seven weeks. Period.

FWIW, my own current arm chair guess (besides turbos) might be ECU itself or wiring harness. Low miles don't really add up for what they are replacing to me. But if the data is essentially garbled because of issues with ECU or related wiring, it may affect both running and diagnostics. At (only) 17K, I would also tend to guess either MAP or O2 sensor rather than cat--those together with the cat (and the injection) form the basics of the closed loop that relates fuel and air. Or, maybe a flaky high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) on one side--and an item known to fail occasionally.

Net, I would also be questioning the reliability of the data driving the system (ECU, wiring, sensors) more than some of the extreme environment parts like injectors or cats without known (to us) failure profiles among owners. I'm just an arm chair guy here, but frankly I would hope their similar arm chair people in their service support center are thinking through these same things and not just reacting narrowly and serially to the latest nominal code. Forests vs. trees.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-03-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turbo failure 2012 s8 58000 miles

my s8 showed no codes when both turbos faile​​​​​​d. car was still drivable with the propeller half way down the down pipe. both turbos where completely destroyed. it started as the slightest of engine rocking and audi told me that the injectors need cleaning at a cost of Ł5000 but they weren't 100% sure what the problem was. problem got worse then I actually heard the turbo break into peices. https://www.instagram.com/p/BoqquRKgo4T/ from what I've read it's either turbos or high pressure fuel pumps but your car on the YouTube video sounds like mine when the turbos went. it cost me $7161 or Ł5500 for 2 turbos fitted. audi do not want to replace because it is a big job and very expensive. their are no replacement parts to recondition these turbos. I think you must drive your car very hard for the turbos to go. my car was at 58000 miles but had never been driven hard till I got it. autobahn 202mph run may have contributed to my turbos failing.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, my car is still under factory warranty and I mentioned the turbo's being blown early on, but they are adamant that blown turbos is not my problem.

I have officially started the Audi buy back request. Too bad really, this car was a beast for the first 17,399 miles.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All this reminds me why I traded my '15 S8 before the warranty expired. I just don't think these cars, as great as they are, are worth the risk to own out of warranty. Mine was out of service for 8 weeks total in 3 years just for fuel tank issues. I don't know if the Audi tech training program isn't sufficient for the A/S 8's or what, but they don't seems to know much. It took four dealer visits, where they claimed they called Germany each time, to diagnose bad sender in fuel tank.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:03 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

We could start an entirely new Forum titled Dealer Training Needed
My '15 4.0 had the 1000rpm shudder, known across the land as a downpipe replacement issue, and on my first dealer trip this was their response (it is printed on my service order):

Cust (Me): when driving at 1000 rpm and below vehicle shudders
Dealer: check duplicated customer concern of shudder around 1000rpm. This is normal operation as the torque converter is engaging and disengaging at this low of a speed

Ooops! NORMAL?? If the car shuddered like mine did as normal operation, no one who ever took a test drive would EVER buy the car as every Hyundai on the planet shifts better!

This is not just an Audi specific issue: The 2014 Cadillac CTS6 Performance I traded in for my A8 had several issues that required multiple diagnostic trips.... the worst being the front suspension would creak over slow speed bumps and jolt you hard on highway potholes. The 3rd dealer trip for this revealed entire front suspension replacement of faulty magnetic ride components. After replacement the suspension was sublime...but it took nearly 9 months of to-and-fro to get it right. Straw that broke the camels back on the Caddy was about 3000 miles after this fix the tranny started to shudder and pop.....never a good sign when under 45,000 miles!

And we could extend this category to body shops:
My son's 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible was badly rear-ended, and probably should have been totaled. When we got it back it drove great, paint color matched, so we decided to keep it...but the roof (a hardtop retractable engineering marvel/nightmare) rattled so loudly you couldn't carry on a conversation. Back to the body shop, where they just rolled their eyes and applied a "fix" that really did nothing. After 5 or 6 months of my son constantly complaining and then me confirming he was right, I found a local GM dealer with a good service reputation. Took it in and they found numerous connectors in the roof panel that were completely missing. Fixed!! When we picked it up and the service manager described it, we had to tell him it was his dealer's body shop across town that couldn't get it right. More eye-rolling!!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry to read this...and the fears of having a car out of warranty. I just returned from a car rally. Corsa Gambler rally. Vegas to Long Beach, to Monterrey and then back to Vegas. Shipped my car out there, should be back Friday. I drove the crap out of it. Hard as I could for 1250 miles. My S8 has 75K miles, I have APR Stage 1 and 2 on it. Hit 188 in the desert. I have tons of confidence in these vehicles and will always own one. I plan to post pics later. The only issues I had was some of the sound proofing came off from underneath. I assume they are not designed to stand up to 150 plus mph for extended hours...some screws back out.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem on my s8. some of the underfloor panalling coming off a bit and my a8 a screw cone off as well. but what is strange is my a8 diesel feels like it is designed to be driven at its limited top speed all day at 166mph with no problem at all. the s8 doesbt feels as strong at sustained high speed driving. maybe the higher revs or the increased use of fuel but the s8 eats oil like mad as well compared to the diesel. 4.2tdi. I just get the sense in the s8 like the engine is more stressed when doing the same speeds. obviously it will get to the speeds a lot faster and go faster but I think the s8 engine is like on a tightrope and the limits of perfection are very fine in order for the engine to perform that good.

Quick Reply: S8 first tow to dealer since new...sigh...