A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8+ Questions - close to pulling trigger

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S8+ Questions - close to pulling trigger

Looking at replacing my aging D3 A8 SWB with a new S8+. Did a quick drive recently and plan to drive again tomorrow. Here are my questions:

1. I've seen pictures of rear seat controls (on the side of the rear arm rest: lumbar, recline) on S8's but don't see where that's an option in the USA build. Is this an option?
2. Upon a quick first look at a 2017 S8+, the only 12 volt power source in the front of the car I saw was in the cup holder area. Is there any in the glove box or center console or anywhere else in the front (I saw a couple in the rear)?
3. If you get the USB MMI cable, will that provide digital music connection for android phones, and do these MMI cables provide power?
4. Other than a new color interior, were there any differences between MY17 and MY16 for the S8+?
5. Does having the Google Earth setup with the SIM card provide the same Google Maps routing and traffic rerouting as if you were using Google Maps on your Android phone?
6. What is the monthly subscription fee for the SIM card that enables Google Earth and the other services; can you go to any mobile provider to buy a data plan?
7. I will need winter wheel/tire setup; what size wheels will fit - can I go 19" (-2) or can I only go down one size to a 20"?

Many thanks.

Last edited by audirb; 05-19-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Some answers:

Originally Posted by audirb
Looking at replacing my aging D3 A8 SWB with a new S8+. Did a quick drive recently and plan to drive again tomorrow. Here are my questions:

1. I've seen pictures of rear seat controls (on the side of the rear arm rest: lumbar, recline) on S8's but don't see where that's an option in the USA build. Is this an option?
No AFAIK. Yes, I saw those pics too. Confusing. I think that is either off a Euro configured one or a non S8 with a different seat set up.

2. Upon a quick first look at a 2017 S8+, the only 12 volt power source in the front of the car I saw was in the cup holder area. Is there any in the glove box or center console or anywhere else in the front (I saw a couple in the rear)?
Again no AFAIK. But if you use a dedicated player device with hard cable (what I really recommend), essentially all that is left to plug in normally is a phone anyway and it gets drained less if not playing music too. There are also the two plugs you mention right at back of console that are usable from front seats as a practical matter. If you are thinking radar detector, dash cam, etc., many hard wire off upper center console area; I use a Savvy connector for V1 off the OBDII port.

3. If you get the USB MMI cable, will that provide digital music connection for android phones, and do these MMI cables provide power?
Yes, MMI cables (actually called AMI for the music stuff) provide power, at least for Apple. I don't have experience, but would expect for Android it just comes down to getting right form factor of USB related plug.

4. Other than a new color interior, were there any differences between MY17 and MY16 for the S8+?
No AFAIK. 2016 intro of Plus was sort of chaotic--shows up mid year, not promoted, etc. If looking at used, you need to look carefully. Assume if an ad doesn't say Plus, it probably isn't. Plus is where the couple of tweaks came in, as opposed 2017s--the CCBs, etc. The Black Optic and Dynamic packages. I think a lot of 2016's got ordered by dealers that way but then sat on lots given how pricy they got.

5. Does having the Google Earth setup with the SIM card provide the same Google Maps routing and traffic rerouting as if you were using Google Maps on your Android phone?
Can't speak about Androids, but this area is sort of convoluted to me as far as how Audi actually sets it up. Car gets its traffic data from Sirius AFAIK actually (TMC based)--I think that is where routing and rerouting decision occurs. It does give you route choices when you select destination, and does occasionally re route. From some informal comparisons with wife or friend on board as co pilot and variously Google Maps, Waze, etc, it is a coin toss which one is actually best real time. For different scenarios and known traffic patterns, sometimes I have found any one of them more or less believable. No matter what their story line/talking points, they all have issues with predictive logic--known traffic patterns at time of day that change likely traffic and routes.

6. What is the monthly subscription fee for the SIM card that enables Google Earth and the other services; can you go to any mobile provider to buy a data plan?
Go on to the Audi Connect page. $450 for 30 months is the common one I recall. Also confused by Audi cutting over from TMobile to ATT a year or so ago. You need to do a deeper dive on that via thread searches if interested, but your universe are those two only--forget Verizon, etc. And again, realize traffic feed is over on Sirius IIRC, so you need that component for full functionality.

7. I will need winter wheel/tire setup; what size wheels will fit - can I go 19" (-2) or can I only go down one size to a 20"?
Yes you can use 19's if you get the right ones--easiest are baseline D4 19's. I run 20's both summer and winter. Answer is for conventional brakes. Not sure on CCB's, though rotor is still 400mm on both set ups and caliper is similarly shaped. Doesn't work on RS7s with CCB's, but those are 420mm so not same as S8+ set up.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent, appreciate the quick and quality response. So what does Google Earth, and the SIM card for that matter get you other than pretty pictures, if the traffic routing/re-routing data is sourced from Sirius?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it's been my experience that Waze is far superior to the Google earth SIM card/ Sirus/XM set-up.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx. Was hoping that maybe the S8 Google Earth setup would have allowed me to dispense with using my phone for navigation, but it looks like phone it is. Wish there were more or better located power options.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by audirb
Excellent, appreciate the quick and quality response. So what does Google Earth, and the SIM card for that matter get you other than pretty pictures, if the traffic routing/re-routing data is sourced from Sirius?
Not really sure since I haven't run non-Connect as far as maps--except for brief window on Q5 when they did a modem change. The "earth" overlay does go away. The other real world use we definitely use is the wi fi hot spot. Not for driver typically, but with wife, kids, friends, etc. on board they definitely connect up that way, especially if they have a device that is WiFi only like non-cellular iPads and other tablet type devices. Or, a lap top on the go instead of tethering thru phone. That is very user/family specific, as well as how it might dovetail to an existing data plan. Some also managed just to fit an ATT SIM (pre T Mobile transition) and add it to a family plan for $10/mo like any other data device. Search on that for more info if interested, maybe on other higher volume boards like Q5, C7 ones, etc.

I think power options are fine from practical use. Candidly I avoid plugging much in for charging, but also avoid apps that are power pigs, don't stream, etc. The plugs are sufficient for all passengers, plus you can get some with a second USB port off the connector if needed. Too often I have found leaving phone plugged in (especially on an AMI cable) starts to be real world an invitation to leave behind. Leads at minimum to awkward need to run back to car from office or meeting...BTDT...or the attractive eye candy for low life. Same low life temptation for low mounted radar detectors and other things that may be lighter connected and are a hassle to stick to glass each time.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

With CCBs you can fit only 21" wheels, 20s are too small.
I tried but nothing that fits A8/S8 can accommodate this car with Dynamic Package.
Ended up with OZ wheels and Pirelli Sottozeros for Winter.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Audirb, the 2017 A8/S8 brochure shows a "19" A8/S8 plus winter wheel and tire package" in the Audi Genuine accessories section. That section also shows a 20" wheel that Audi USA parts indicates fits the 2017 S8. This wheel has appeared in A8 brochures for a few years and is priced at $155.22 each. The stock number is 4 H00 714904 EE, and I think it is a VW part number. I may have the stock number wrong-- it may be 4 Hoo 714904 EE. It is called the Cartesian alloy wheel. Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The ever practical field test: I finally took off the A/S's today for he dedicated summers. Here is the man's XL hand stuck in there up to knuckles on the factory D4 twin 7 20" wheel with the standard S8 brakes. As in, 20's are easy. With the right 19,especially Audi OE, they should still clear. Often the trickiest part is where the outer part of the spokes meet barrel.
Attached Thumbnails S8+ Questions - close to pulling trigger-img_9132.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Mike and MP4. General thoughts on whether to go 19 or 20" on the snows; looking at tire rack, the tire prices are about the same.

Where would I find list prices for the Audi OEM wheels options? And what is the recommended source for these OEM wheels (how much off list should be expected)?

The 19" official wheel/tire option is one way to go (anyone know what this option goes for). But I'm also thinking 20" 5-double-spoke design, titanium finish (part of A8L Black optic pkg) would look great, although probably more expensive.

BTW, here's a link to that 20" Audi wheel Mike notes http://www.audiusaparts.com/oe-audi/4h00714904ee

Last edited by audirb; 05-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: S8+ Questions - close to pulling trigger