A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 vs S6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S8 vs S6?

I'm planning to get an S6, but was looking at the S8 as well.

What's the rationale for getting an S8 instead of an S6? The interior and cargo measurements are practically the same, although the exterior dimensions of the S8 are larger, and it's 300 lbs heavier. It doesn't seem to make sense from that perspective. The S6 is also very comfortable, and you can get it with seats that are almost identical to those of the S8. The S8 is significantly more expensive.

What motivates buyers to buy an S8? I've never actually seen one, so it seems like very few are sold. I must not be the only one who is baffled...
Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
I'm planning to get an S6, but was looking at the S8 as well.

What's the rationale for getting an S8 instead of an S6? The interior and cargo measurements are practically the same, although the exterior dimensions of the S8 are larger, and it's 300 lbs heavier. It doesn't seem to make sense from that perspective. The S6 is also very comfortable, and you can get it with seats that are almost identical to those of the S8. The S8 is significantly more expensive.

What motivates buyers to buy an S8? I've never actually seen one, so it seems like very few are sold. I must not be the only one who is baffled...
Personal preference. That's all.

You have to be an informed buyer and the only way to do that is to go and test drive both cars - otherwise you're just getting opinions.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Do a search here for starters. Or just read through posts in last few months. You will find a whole lot of posts from folks who have experience with the C7 bodies and then the D4 and don't put them in same league. Some surprisingly negative comments quality of material, solidity, driving satisfaction, etc. Having owned a bunch of C bodies, and now two generations of D's, they really are in different classes. Space wise, D4 even in SWB form like S8 really does have more back seat room too. Get in each, set drivers' seat to your liking and then check out rear legroom. What I always do to get sense of back seat. A6/S6 is frankly more like our Q5 in terms of passenger room, and definitely that is squeezed down in everyday feel from my S8. Meanwhile, much better to read forum for an hour or two to get a sense. Here with a single post you will just get a somewhat random sampling of this week's active posters and browsers.

Let me also reset your sense too in a pretty big way. The comparo is NOT the S8 for the S6 to my mind. It is the A8 4.0T. Trouble is the SWB version of 4.0T for A8 went away (after 2015), so it now it seems like a pretty big size diff. and at first blush a different car. Meantime, the S8 will embarrass the S6 in many a way. Look at motors, state of tune, etc. and it is very clear. S6 is also somewhat handicapped by the tranny. Folks may sometimes want a 7 speed sequential, but the 8 speed auto in the A8 or S8 can take more power, is faster, regarded as smoother, and more economical in general. In any case, I would do your comparo there--S6 to A8 4.0T. Price, performance, build quality, included features, etc. I own a "pre-plus" S8 too, and know it isn't close to S6. In turn, the current standard USA S8 is the S8 Plus. But, also understand that in other than badging it is essentially an "RS" version by normal Audi standards, state of tune and set up. I would put that two notches above S6 in turn, not just one (big one). There has been no RS6 in USA since 2003/2004. At the time that was a very expensive and special ride too. There is an RS6 in Europe these days. And just like RS7 here, that is more the comparison ride to the S8 , not the std. S6.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audisession
Personal preference. That's all.

You have to be an informed buyer and the only way to do that is to go and test drive both cars - otherwise you're just getting opinions.
Right, but getting a meaningful test drive on an S8 isn't easy.

What is it about the S8 that buyers of that car prefer over the S6?
Old 05-19-2017, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Do a search here for starters. Or just read through posts in last few months. You will find a whole lot of posts from folks who have experience with the C7 bodies and then the D4 and don't put them in same league. Some surprisingly negative comments quality of material, solidity, driving satisfaction, etc. Having owned a bunch of C bodies, and now two generations of D's, they really are in different classes. Space wise, D4 even in SWB form like S8 really does have more back seat room too. Get in each, set drivers' seat to your liking and then check out rear legroom. What I always do to get sense of back seat. A6/S6 is frankly more like our Q5 in terms of passenger room, and definitely that is squeezed down in everyday feel from my S8. Meanwhile, much better to read forum for an hour or two to get a sense. Here with a single post you will just get a somewhat random sampling of this week's active posters and browsers.

Let me also reset your sense too in a pretty big way. The comparo is NOT the S8 for the S6 to my mind. It is the A8 4.0T. Trouble is the SWB version of 4.0T for A8 went away (after 2015), so it now it seems like a pretty big size diff. and at first blush a different car. Meantime, the S8 will embarrass the S6 in many a way. Look at motors, state of tune, etc. and it is very clear. S6 is also somewhat handicapped by the tranny. Folks may sometimes want a 7 speed sequential, but the 8 speed auto in the A8 or S8 can take more power, is faster, regarded as smoother, and more economical in general. In any case, I would do your comparo there--S6 to A8 4.0T. Price, performance, build quality, included features, etc. I own a "pre-plus" S8 too, and know it isn't close to S6. In turn, the current standard USA S8 is the S8 Plus. But, also understand that in other than badging it is essentially an "RS" version by normal Audi standards, state of tune and set up. I would put that two notches above S6 in turn, not just one (big one). There has been no RS6 in USA since 2003/2004. At the time that was a very expensive and special ride too. There is an RS6 in Europe these days. And just like RS7 here, that is more the comparison ride to the S8 , not the std. S6.
Thanks. I understand the A8L - it has more room in the back. The S8, on the other hand, has similar room to the S6, just a tiny bit more in the back seat. I realize the engine is stronger on the S8, but the car is also quite a bit heavier (300 lbs) which negates some of this power advantage, and hurts the handling. The smoother transmission on the S8 may be a good point. In terms of the fuel economy you mentioned, the S8 is a lot worse...
Old 05-19-2017, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I understand the A8L - it has more room in the back. The S8, on the other hand, has similar room to the S6, just a tiny bit more in the back seat. I realize the engine is stronger on the S8, but the car is also quite a bit heavier (300 lbs) which negates some of this power advantage, and hurts the handling. The smoother transmission on the S8 may be a good point. In terms of the fuel economy you mentioned, the S8 is a lot worse...
Get in back seat of each again as I spelled out. Having done it and owned a lot of C bodies, I disagree with you. C7 = roughly Q5, not S8 size wise in back. A8L 4.0T which is more where the performance metric comparo falls is a walk away for L body of course.

Again, look up weight of A8 4.0T. Your comparison is faulty. Compare MPG's there--S6 to A8 4.0T--though in 2015 for "standard S8" it was 17/27/20 for reference. Meantime, S8 Plus is really the same as an RS8 other than name only. Its comparo is RS7 and Euro only RS6, not the S6.

Let me leave you with the usual S8 videos findable all day long on YouTube. See if you still think it is hard to sort the diff., or let me know when you find the S6 ones, chipped or otherwise. Some of the S8 actual times in those videos are actually fairly mediocre too by S8 standards, and especially for tuned ones more likely in these settings.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Let me leave you with the usual S8 videos findable all day long on YouTube. See if you still think it is hard to sort the diff., or let me know when you find the S6 ones, chipped or otherwise. Some of the S8 actual times in those videos are actually fairly mediocre too by S8 standards, and especially for tuned ones more likely in these settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfNvmRnUnIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCPV_zzStBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBlVh6qrJz4
I think the S6 would beat these cars as well in this type of drag race. The AWD makes a big difference in this.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the S6 would beat these cars as well in this type of drag race. The AWD makes a big difference in this.
Sounds honestly like you should buy the S6... And I would frankly not try to take most any of those in an S6 in street tune even in the quarter, while more interesting in std. tune S8. Tranny factor lurks in there too.

Regardless, S6 = A8 4.0T. Other than "S" and not the extended wheel base they are different rides, different performance, different quality of finish, at different price points. S8 = RS7 = RS6 give or take for more debatable comparos. RS6 = unobtainium in USA since two generations ago with 2003.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-19-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want an S6, get an S6. Be advised, the S8 is both significantly quicker and more comfortable. This is a fact. MP4.2's repeated notions that the S6 is better compared to a A8 4.0t is dead on, in fact even the long wheelbase version posts identical acceleration times to the S6. That's why they cost more, because you get more. The S6 has been updated more recently, so you get a more updated mmi interface. Buy the S6 if you want it, it's a lovely car. But if you pull up next to an S8 and are thinking about taking it on, you will be embarrassed, badly if it's a plus.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

you already like the S6 and you're seeking confirmation bias from S8 owners??

i think you should get the s6 - don't look back - and enjoy - it's a lovely car

Quick Reply: S8 vs S6?