A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 vs S6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Visualguy, I test drove a new S6 a few months ago, and it was very nice. My focus was directed toward how it felt on the roads I generally drive, a lot of which are back roads, and whether it would be a good replacement for my SWB A8. From a weight and WB standpoint, it was similar to my A8, and it's "feel" was very good, and it cost much less than an S8. I didn't pay attention to speed vs the A8, but even the basic A8 interior was a clear upgrade, if that's important to you.

I agree, S8's are few and far between, so it is difficult to get behind the wheel.

MP4 suggests spending an hour or two reading through this forum as a means of getting a feel for the S8, and I think that's good advice. My sense is that the owners on this forum are well informed and very diligent; many of those who have made the plunge have spent a good deal of time owning or testing high end alternatives to the S8, their expressed opinions re the S8's they own couldn't be more favorable, and I, for one, am willing to rely upon their opinions, and in fact did so. And I want to take this opportunity to thank them all, because I had difficulty pulling the trigger without hands on experience.

My 2018 S8 plus is scheduled to arrive in August. Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 05-20-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i know what im about to say isnt apples to apples but i had to drive an a6 as a loaner...it was the new refreshed model and the interior was just not up to par for a car thats $50k+. My brothers 2015 kia optima sxl had a much nicer interior lol and that cost only $38k or something. But I would have to say the handling felt much better though in the a6 than my s8...it could be that its lighter overall or maybe just that few hundred lbs off the front end makes that much of a difference so maybe the s6 will handle more like the s8...but I would highly recommend that you test drive both for more than 2 miles.

but since both cars arent really track cars I would definitely go with the s8 if its in your budget as its overall the much nicer car...its way more comfortable...less noise (much less)...more room...more powerful. the s8 is just a monster lol and im loving it everyday.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone from A6 to S6 to S8. The jump from A6 to S6 was a pretty big one--I was in love with the 4 liter, it drove so much smaller than it was, and those sport seats were awesome. It had a fun loving nature--always in the mood for a fair bit of hooliganism. Then I met my S8. I never thought I could be as impressed with a car as I was with the S6--but S8 is a whole different level from top to bottom. It is plain and simple a big car--the width is what I notice most--she's broad on the beam. S8 comes across with an almost cold, determined and serious "all business no foolishness" attitude. Point A to B in the minimum amount of time with no fuss. Just GO. No canyon carving tendencies (but once it takes a set it sees you through--just not as joyfully as the S6). The most comfortable car I've ever experienced. Devours miles effortlessly. Quality details throughout. And then there's the silence. Amazing quiet compared with it's C7 cousins. If size doesn't bother you--spend some time with an S8. You won't regret it.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am not going to waste time and elaborate on all the differences between the two, just my experience.
When my S8 Plus delivery was delayed by over a month, my dealer decided to take my trade in (to protect it from further depreciation) and loaned me a brand new, loaded S6.
Drove it for 6 weeks and put over 2k miles on it, loved the car, really a fabulous ride but when I finally got the S8, it felt like stepping from a Marriott to a Peninsula hotel.
Different level, different planet.....
Old 05-21-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Absent, I really appreciate your comments. As I mentioned in my post above, I ordered a S8+ without the benefit of actually driving one, so a certain level of anxiety is difficult to shake.But since I have driven a new S6, and liked it a lot insofar as road feel, I now have a solid reference point while I wait out the next three months. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 05-21-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
Right, but getting a meaningful test drive on an S8 isn't easy.

What is it about the S8 that buyers of that car prefer over the S6?
Search for any used ones in your area? Might be easier than finding a new one to test drive.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 518 Jersey03_T
Search for any used ones in your area? Might be easier than finding a new one to test drive.
No used ones in the area - I checked.

The S8 doesn't seem to sell around here - I've never seen one in person. In that class, I mostly see S-Class and 7-series.

There are a couple of new ones at dealerships not too far away, so I can look at the car, but they don't typically let you have any kind of a meaningful test drive.

Without checking out the car and driving it, I can't really make a decision. Based on my reading, the S8 handles better than the S550 and 750i, but isn't as luxurious. On the other hand, it doesn't handle as well as the S6, 5-series, or E-Class, but is more luxurious.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
Without checking out the car and driving it, I can't really make a decision. Based on my reading, the S8 handles better than the S550 and 750i, but isn't as luxurious. On the other hand, it doesn't handle as well as the S6, 5-series, or E-Class, but is more luxurious.
The combination of handling, performance and comfort beats S63 hands down (for a driver), IMO.
Passengers on the other hand, would appreciate the comfort and room in S-Class, in this regard S8 can not compete.
I use my S8 by myself 90% of the time so the choice was a no brainer, if I were a limo driver (for family or commercial), the MB would be the only choice.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

The price difference has to come into play at some point if you're going with a new car. By my estimation it's close to $30k. Which brings me to this consideration: Would you choose a CPO S8 (say a 2015 for $75 to $80k) over a brand new S6? Add to the thought process that the D4 is in its final run and the car will appear dated with older tech once the new car is unveiled. Maybe that's not an issue, just throwing it out there.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
The price difference has to come into play at some point if you're going with a new car. By my estimation it's close to $30k. Which brings me to this consideration: Would you choose a CPO S8 (say a 2015 for $75 to $80k) over a brand new S6? Add to the thought process that the D4 is in its final run and the car will appear dated with older tech once the new car is unveiled. Maybe that's not an issue, just throwing it out there.
I hate taking the risk on used cars, so no CPO.

The S6 is also close to the end of the model.

I don't think the new S8 and S6 will be available in the US before late 2018 or more likely 2019. Also, I don't like buying the first year or two of a new model.

Yes, I find it hard to justify the extra $30K of the S8 over the S6, but maybe test driving it will make the value clearer.

Quick Reply: S8 vs S6?