A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 vs S6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're purchasing used market here's my opinion.
I just went through this and drove an S7/S6 and lastly the S8 which i purchase on the spot lol

I found the interior of the S8 way more refine and luxurious and lets no mention the power, (Don't let the size fool you ) its way more powerful then both the S6/S7 .
Paid a little more but theres that saying as you get what you pay for.

Last edited by m4xm1l10n; 05-22-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
I hate taking the risk on used cars, so no CPO.

The S6 is also close to the end of the model.

I don't think the new S8 and S6 will be available in the US before late 2018 or more likely 2019. Also, I don't like buying the first year or two of a new model.

Yes, I find it hard to justify the extra $30K of the S8 over the S6, but maybe test driving it will make the value clearer.
The s8 is a much more substantial ride, period, their flagship sedan, like comparing an e class Mercedes to their s class. It depends what you're looking for. The s6 will be a sportier ride, more maneuverable, more nimble handling. The s8 is in another class altogether fit and finish and quality of interior materials and build quality, world class engine in the s8 plus, 605hp, a 4600 pound car that can do 0-60 in 3.3 seconds, insane!!, interior is stunning, ultimate highway cruiser, incredibly quiet. Door slam test is night and day, s8 much more substantial vehicle. From a practical perspective, most of us don't need a car any bigger than the A6/s6, it is certainly much easier to deal with as far as turning radius and fitting into tight parking areas, the s8 is a very wide sedan. But don't delude yourself, the s6 is not close to the quality of the s8 from any perspective, build quality, engine performance, comfort and luxury. It is what it is. The s6 is very nice and practical, the s8 plus is other worldly. Regards. Ned.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

So what did the OP end up doing here? I found this to be an interesting thread. So, yes, trying to keep it alive.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
So what did the OP end up doing here? I found this to be an interesting thread. So, yes, trying to keep it alive.
He came to a forum of A8/S8 owners asking if he should buy a S6.
Seems strange.

He had plenty of reasons to buy a S6, and said he can't justify paying the extra $$ for a S8. Seemed moot to me.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I like that the overwhelming response was that the S8 was totally worth the difference if you could swing it, but he still leaned toward the S6. It's like his mind was made up before he asked.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I like that the overwhelming response was that the S8 was totally worth the difference if you could swing it, but he still leaned toward the S6. It's like his mind was made up before he asked.
I can understand the potential consternation. I had been driving Mercedes e class sedans for the last 17 years and while loving many things about the s8 and not being particularly price sensitive, I knew I didn't need the additional size and appreciated the added nimbleness of an e or A6 size sedan. At the end of the day, I went "less practical" and bought the s8 plus to at least once in my life own a top of the line, large super car. It does have its downside as it is big and has its visibility issues with all the headrests and "a" pillar interfering with view. But what a gorgeous car, luxurious and rediculous performance, still thrilling to step on it and feel that big a car more like it can, the dynamic package and ceramic brakes are a joy as well. Regards. Ned.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
I can understand the potential consternation. I had been driving Mercedes e class sedans for the last 17 years and while loving many things about the s8 and not being particularly price sensitive, I knew I didn't need the additional size and appreciated the added nimbleness of an e or A6 size sedan. At the end of the day, I went "less practical" and bought the s8 plus to at least once in my life own a top of the line, large super car. It does have its downside as it is big and has its visibility issues with all the headrests and "a" pillar interfering with view. But what a gorgeous car, luxurious and rediculous performance, still thrilling to step on it and feel that big a car more like it can, the dynamic package and ceramic brakes are a joy as well. Regards. Ned.
Yes, I have the same concerns. I'll check out the S8 Plus at a dealership to assess the comfort/quality. I don't need the extra power beyond the S6 (useless on public roads in the US), and the interior/luggage space doesn't seem to be meaningfully larger based on the specs. I am concerned that the exterior might be too large - pain to park. Also, concerned about losing handling and nimbleness. However, if I feel that the extra comfort or luxury compensates for all that, and is worth the extra $30K, I will consider it seriously.

Thanks for all the responses!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
Yes, I have the same concerns. I'll check out the S8 Plus at a dealership to assess the comfort/quality. I don't need the extra power beyond the S6 (useless on public roads in the US), and the interior/luggage space doesn't seem to be meaningfully larger based on the specs. I am concerned that the exterior might be too large - pain to park. Also, concerned about losing handling and nimbleness. However, if I feel that the extra comfort or luxury compensates for all that, and is worth the extra $30K, I will consider it seriously.

Thanks for all the responses!
Agreed. I will say that one obviously doesn't need the extra power, you don't even "need" the power of the s6, the A6 would do. Like I said it's the thrill of that kind of power in the s8 plus that's the rush, why does someone buy any super car with stupid power, because you can. All that said the s6 is the safer choice, a more generally practical size. Regards. Ned.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny, as posted earlier the choice is between the S6 or the A8L 4.0 based on price, not S6 versus S8.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When in doubt, try an S7

That's what I did and haven't looked back.

Quick Reply: S8 vs S6?