A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat comfort - vertical piping on back

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default seat comfort - vertical piping on back

I’ve put about 300 miles on my newly acquired D4. What started out as a minor annoyance is starting to become a deal breaker. I have the ventilated sport/comfort seats which have the two vertical piping pieces which run top to bottom on the seat bottom and seatback. My issue is the piping is really stiff, sits up proud and is right on the center of your back/spine.I’ve been trying to pretend that it’s not bothering me but it’s driving me crazy, sort of like forgetting to remove one of the tags off on new clothes.

Has anyone else experienced the same? The seats in my D3 are so much better and have much softer leather too which also helps. The “feel” of these ventilated seats is pretty course but I could probably live with that. I’m not sure what my options are but it’s definitely not something I can adjust out.

Frustrated and hoping I’m not the only one who’s had this issue.

thanks

Last edited by A8CT; 03-29-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Are these your seats? I checked the piping on my seams and they seem to protrude about a millimeter. Certainly not enough to even notice. Maybe you could try softening the seams with a top quality leather balm... there are several recommended in various posts in the D4 section...
Having said that, the Cadillac CTS Performance I traded for my A8 had a seam across the back that seemed to perfectly bisect my shoulder blades... I was always squirming around to change the position.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have sheepskin covers on all my cars, I hate these leather seats....
My seats are the same, the leather is not really soft but the covers definitely makes an improvement. I understand I’m losing the ventilated feature but I really don’t care for it.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I also have the same seat style (design selection) and have not noticed any issues with these seams either, I am a taller/bigger guy so not sure if that has anything to do with it either?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, those are my seats above. If that 1" gap or so was a couple of inches wide it would probably be a non issue. Not sure what to do. Seat covers or wearing a jacket year round would def solve my problem. I have to look into softening/flattening that out a bit. It is much less prominent on the base of the seat either because of a slight manufacturing difference or from the weight of sitting in it. I'm 6', 180ish .... wish I had a little more back fat right about now.

I stopped by an upholstery shop and he said that he could do something. I need to take a better look this weekend.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to go the "sheepskin cover" avenue I would recommend Rocky Mountain Sheepskin from California, I have used these guys for years with excellent results.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A8CT
yes, those are my seats above. If that 1" gap or so was a couple of inches wide it would probably be a non issue. Not sure what to do. Seat covers or wearing a jacket year round would def solve my problem. I have to look into softening/flattening that out a bit. It is much less prominent on the base of the seat either because of a slight manufacturing difference or from the weight of sitting in it. I'm 6', 180ish .... wish I had a little more back fat right about now.

I stopped by an upholstery shop and he said that he could do something. I need to take a better look this weekend.
How many miles on the car? Maybe they will soften up. I have the same seam on my car with the diamond stitch pattern and I don’t feel it. I am 6’, 160 lbs, no issues here. My biggest problem is the massage isn’t noticeable enough unless I push off of the steering wheel into the seat. I assume it would work better if I had some more weight to naturally push me into the seat more.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Maybe play with the lumbar control and see if that helps. Perhaps it's out too far? I have the same seat and haven't had an issue for 4 years and I'm about your size. It can take some time to fully dial in the seat adjustment.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mileage wise, I’m at 36k. For me, I think the diamond pattern seats are ultimately going to be better for me because they are stitched differently. In looking at pics, the vertical seams are folded over and sewn underneath. On my seats, that inward fold is replaced with the hard piping and catches me right in the middle of my back. I’m going to drive a car with the diamond stitching just to be sure but I think that will be my only option (seat swap) short of selling the car.