A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set of D4 OE 20x9 wheels on 2015 S8

Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

funny, I was going to make a comment about the rings, almost looks like it's a dealer car and I like that they're kind of smoked out, very light. nice add to an S8.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

wheels look good...I might go this route for a winter set. I see you mentioned you had ride height at "normal" setting...are there multiple ride height adjustments? In the MMI, all I see is an option to raise the car...
Old 02-03-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Karrera4
wheels look good...I might go this route for a winter set. I see you mentioned you had ride height at "normal" setting...are there multiple ride height adjustments? In the MMI, all I see is an option to raise the car...
Short version: the reference is really for A8's as far as when it is parked, and thus the pictures.

It's a subtle thing for the A8/non sport owners. "Raise" shows up in that upper screen corner, but realize if pick "Dynamic" off the main suspension setting menu in a standard A8, you would dropping it 10mm even at rest. Page from the D4 suspension SSP explaining it more is below. This chart and more detailed stuff used to be in the D3 owner's manual but they seem to have dumbed it down on the current D4 manual. From either the lower chart or the same behavior as a D3 S8 or sport suspension, those conceptually already started out "down" that first step so it was excluded from the programming. Step used to be 20mm, but now 10mm. Thus, no further step down possible when parked or slow speed.

IIRC on at least my S8, the Raise mode they say is reset to normal at 100kph/62mph actually happens on my S8 by 25mph. Apparently another difference from this documentation. Makes it kind of a hassle in snow driving to keep selecting it when more height can help.
Attached Thumbnails Set of D4 OE 20x9 wheels on 2015 S8-screen-shot-2017-02-03-9.28.35-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-03-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Short version: the reference is really for A8's.

It's a subtle thing for the A8/non sport owners. "Raise" shows up in that upper screen corner, but realize if pick "Dynamic" off the main suspension setting menu in a standard A8, you would dropping it 10mm even at rest. Page from the D4 suspension SSP explaining it more is below. This chart and more detailed stuff used to be in the D3 owner's manual but they seem to have dumbed it down on the current D4 manual. Unfortunately they don't get into the S8 differences here, but from D3 I know the ones with a sport or S8 suspension already started out "down" that first step so it was excluded from the programming. Step used to be 20mm, but now 10mm. Seems like same set up though on my D4 S4 where from playing with it, it does not drop when put in Dynamic at rest--notice right in the first sentence it says it depends on the vehicle configuration.

IIRC on at least my S8, the Raise mode they say is reset to normal at 100kph/62mph actually happens on my S8 by 25mph. Apparently another difference from this documentation. Makes it kind of a hassle in snow driving to keep selecting it when more height can help.
Interesting. I figured the S8 would auto lower from the raised mode at a certain speed. I have also noticed that when I come to a stop after exciting the interstate or slowing from a higher rate of speed, the car raises up. That tells me it auto lowers at certain speeds from its normal setting.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Karrera4
Interesting. I figured the S8 would auto lower from the raised mode at a certain speed. I have also noticed that when I come to a stop after exciting the interstate or slowing from a higher rate of speed, the car raises up. That tells me it auto lowers at certain speeds from its normal setting.
Yes, an S8 will have the higher speed step down which you see in the diagrams, but it does not have the all the way from a stop initial step down that is in the upper diagram for non-Sport A8. I see the lower chart from the earlier attachment actually does cover that sport or S8 type case so I edited the prior reply some. And yes, if you come off the freeway you can sometimes see that raise back up cycle happen. Same on D3 conceptually, though ste were a bit different and great in total (25 vs. 20mm).

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-03-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information, thanks.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:39 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I thought my twin 5-spoke wheels were the best looking wheels on a D4 body until I saw yours. Positively stunning!!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Short version: the reference is really for A8's as far as when it is parked, and thus the pictures.

It's a subtle thing for the A8/non sport owners. "Raise" shows up in that upper screen corner, but realize if pick "Dynamic" off the main suspension setting menu in a standard A8, you would dropping it 10mm even at rest. Page from the D4 suspension SSP explaining it more is below. This chart and more detailed stuff used to be in the D3 owner's manual but they seem to have dumbed it down on the current D4 manual. From either the lower chart or the same behavior as a D3 S8 or sport suspension, those conceptually already started out "down" that first step so it was excluded from the programming. Step used to be 20mm, but now 10mm. Thus, no further step down possible when parked or slow speed.

If I am interpreting this correctly, if I have my suspension set to Comfort in Individual Settings and all the other parameters set to Dynamic, the car will not lower at highway speeds?

Excellent Information MP.... thank you!
Old 05-26-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
If I am interpreting this correctly, if I have my suspension set to Comfort in Individual Settings and all the other parameters set to Dynamic, the car will not lower at highway speeds?

Excellent Information MP.... thank you!
I haven't tested it for that mode in D4 (nor could I really w/ S8), but yes that is the way it worked in D3. Simplified, Comfort mode never lowers at all. The basic difference from Comfort to Automatic is that dropping at highway speeds. I always used Automatic for my D3 as a result.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have part # this second since I got them a while ago and they on inside of hub. The "normal" twin 7's used for D4's and A7/S7's. 20 x 9, ET 37. Polished face. If not polished, then not OE in 20s. 19's are not the same either, and probably cast. Indirectly, a polished face in an Audi OE wheel is closely connected to the ones that are forged. Older D3 wheels of same design (and weight) were ET46 and had the older smaller hub center.

Weight = 12.7 kg = 28 pounds per mfr. (Fuchs) spec, which I have also confirmed with loose wheels. S8 5 spoke 21 x 9 wheel that came off mine was 35.4 pounds. Right choice in tires if otherwise to your liking can also move overall weight up or down 3-4 pounds. Even in going to the 40 sidewall from 35's, I came down 2 more pounds there. If I went with the Conti summer in 265's (std. D4 A8 sizing), it would have gotten me to a full 10 pounds per corner.

I posted more info on wheels in past here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...wheel-2897889/ Other very easily found forged OE choice with the twin 10's are 13.7kg = 30.2 lbs.
Are you sure you confirmed that 28lb weight for the polished 20x9 Fuchs S8 wheel? The reason I ask is Audi lists this wheel as weighing 32.52lbs and from my experience these weights are extremely accurate about 99% of the time. Thx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Set of D4 OE 20x9 wheels on 2015 S8