AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Should I buy a warranty? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/should-i-buy-warranty-2968633/)

Dizenman 03-12-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by NotoriousGLU (Post 25288397)
My 2013 had an sway bar bushing issue, pano seal issue (fixed at the end of the factory warranty), water pump issue with thermostat (extended warranty), right now I have an issue with the outside handle light not working on passenger side and back of pano doesn't want to open. I just fixed driver side cat becayse flange from the original cat just cracked. 2011 had small upper oil pan leak which is fixed under extended warranty and that cost was almost 5k in a friendly indy shop, dashboard speaker issue which was fixed same issue with an outside door handle. All the small things will add up at the end of the day to almost 7k. Including cost of my own labor for it.

thats good to know. I don’t have a pano roof so luckily I won’t have issues with that, but I can see how other things can add up. Thanks for the input!

Verybumpy 03-12-2019 09:11 AM

Audi is doing well in their reliability rating. I don't think you will get your $6.8k out of it.

Eric Potter 03-12-2019 10:08 AM

In my opinion yes

Originally Posted by Dizenman (Post 25288196)
Hey guys,

Im new here to the forum, I just picked up a 2014 a8 4.0t. I have the option to buy an extended exclusionary warranty of 5 years and 75,000 miles at a cost of $6800. I’m in the Bay Area, so labor rates are in the ballpark and upwards of $200 an hour.

as of right now the car is experiencing the 1k and 3k rpm vibration. I heard the apr s8 downpipes fit and I was considering going that route, but I believes the downpipes are catted so I can try to see if 8/80 emissions warranty covers them.

with all of that said, and your ownership experiences, were you guys in my position would you shell out the money for the warranty, or would you pay for the repairs as/if they happen?

thanks in advance

Yes. I bought a 2 year warranty on my 2013 A8L 4.0T and have already had the turbos replaced. ($10,000) and getting my water pump replaced ($2000). Only cost me my deductible. It comes in handy.

Dizenman 03-12-2019 10:13 AM

Good to know!

I also have an offer for one that is 3 year 36k for $4000 or 2 year 24k for $3000.

going to keep searching for more options though.

Kelzo 03-12-2019 10:20 AM

If you get the warranty... The car will be perfect

​​​​​​If you don't buy the warranty.....the car will fall apart. This is guaranteed sadly!

I purchased an extended warranty for my S8 for that pure peace of mind that it is covered through my years of ownership.

collantes_C6 03-12-2019 10:43 AM

I'm in the same dilemma. Just bought a 2012 A8 4.2 from a local Audi dealer. They offered me a mechanical breakdown protection warranty which I took for $5k CAD to cover 3 years or 40k kms under the platinum package. The car has 116k kms (72k mi) when I bought it. I have 60 days until end of April to cancel it and get a refund if chose not to go with it. I've heard about other third party warranty companies but I heard they tend to be a bit tricky since they have their own rules.
Buying this warranty from an Audi dealer make it easier to claim but again, they have their deductables. I'm still on the fence whether to continue with this. Someone advised me to just keep my money, invest it and pay as you go. While others say it's a peace of mind. I can always go back to my regular Audi Indy who knows me since my early VW days.

Dizenman 03-12-2019 10:44 AM

I’m definitely on the fence in it. The less expensive warranty is inclusionary rather than exclusionary, so I don’t think I want to go that route.

TinyElviss 03-12-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by collantes_C6 (Post 25288470)
I'm in the same dilemma. Just bought a 2012 A8 4.2 from a local Audi dealer. They offered me a mechanical breakdown protection warranty which I took for $5k CAD to cover 3 years or 40k kms under the platinum package. The car has 116k kms (72k mi) when I bought it. I have 60 days until end of April to cancel it and get a refund if chose not to go with it. I've heard about other third party warranty companies but I heard they tend to be a bit tricky since they have their own rules.
Buying this warranty from an Audi dealer make it easier to claim but again, they have their deductables. I'm still on the fence whether to continue with this. Someone advised me to just keep my money, invest it and pay as you go. While others say it's a peace of mind. I can always go back to my regular Audi Indy who knows me since my early VW days.

Originally Posted by Dizenman (Post 25288452)
Good to know!

I also have an offer for one that is 3 year 36k for $4000 or 2 year 24k for $3000.

going to keep searching for more options though.

A lot depends on how many miles you drive. I can easily put 75k on a car in 4 years.....
Another route is to put in the bank the money you would have spent on the warranty, and use that fund when the car breaks (not regular maintenance). If the car does not break, you have that for down payment on your next car. Or a nice vacation.

Audi0609 03-12-2019 12:26 PM

I have a 2015 with 35miles on it. So for i have close to $4000 of work done due to issues that came up. This all was in 1 year

Smiley50 03-13-2019 12:53 PM

extended warranty

If you shop online with Audi dealer Finance department guys at dealers selling cars on the internet they will deal with you, I called and sent emails and got an Audi warranty from out of state dealer.