A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius Presets Dropping

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a regular occurrence. Virtually every time I start the car I get the message that the entertainment system is initializing or something like that. Once it loads, if I switch to AM from Sirius, I get the message the station list is being updated. How often do AM stations get updated? I'd say once every 10 years...
I thought I was the only one having this issue - sounds like an A8-wide problem.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiff
This is a regular occurrence. ..... - sounds like an A8-wide problem.
Actually, an Audi wide problem - there is a thread for virtually every model on this forum. The TSBs referred to (See copy of same I have attached below) in some of these threads can be summed up as: Audi is aware of this problem and, there is no fix. My 2014 A6 has a routine Sirius 'volume' issue; wholesale preset loss is random. My daughter's 2018 Q3 routinely looses her presets.

While you may find similar complaints in forums for some other makes (Tesla), Audi has many times more. Personally, we have NEVER experienced this issue in other family cars: Toyota (2), Honda and a Lexus. You would think if you paid for a premium car that you should expect at least the same (if not better) working features of a 'regular' reliable car.
-------------

Technical Background

A Sirius channel list update has been applied to the MMI over the air. This type of an update might cause Sirius presets to be deleted.

Production Solution

Not applicable.

Service

No repair is available. 1.Do not perform any repairs. Any repairs for this concern may be denied.
2.Communicate to the customer that:a.The problem is caused by the timing of certain parts of a Sirius channel list update.
b.On average, Sirius may update the channel list six to eight times a year.
c.Usually, only presets above position 20 are lost.
d.The software in the MMI 3G+ cannot be adapted to the Sirius timing due to it being a legacy system.
Warranty

This TSB is informational only and not applicable to any Audi Warranty.

Additional Information

All parts and service references provided in this TSB (2051527) are subject to change and/or removal. Always check with your Parts Department and/or ETKA for the latest information and parts bulletins. Please check the Repair Manual for fasteners, bolts, nuts, and screws that require replacement during the repair.

©2018 Audi of America, Inc. All rights reserved. Information contained in this document is based on the latest information available at the time of printing and is subject to the copyright and other intellectual property rights of Audi of America, Inc., its affiliated companies and its licensors. All rights are reserved to make changes at any time without notice. No part of this document may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, nor may these materials be modified or reposted to other sites without the prior expressed written permission of the publisher.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great info in the post above - thanks. I do feel a bit better. I've not (yet) experienced loss of presets, though I only use a dozen or so. For me, it's more the aggravation of waiting to get music as I drive away, and on the AM issue, missing a traffic report as the station list updates. First world problem I suppose. Seeing as how Audi seems disinclined to do anything, I'll suffer in silence...
Old 01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just one of the many electronic gremlins that my 15 S8 continually experienced. It was a great car but I returned to Porsche and have't had any of those problems.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

"This TSB is informational only and not applicable to any Audi Warranty."........Well, that takes care of that.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Just one of the many electronic gremlins that my 15 S8 continually experienced. It was a great car but I returned to Porsche and have't had any of those problems.
Just curious, what did you pickup from Porsche? New Panamera?

So I let my Sirius/XM subscription lapse and want to renew. I have recently noticed that all the presets I had for the satellite radio are gone.
Has anyone experienced this when they let the subscription expire?
It is going to take me 20+ minutes to find all the damn channels and put them back in the preset list...

Last edited by mhoran89; 01-09-2019 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Just curious, what did you pickup from Porsche? New Panamera?..
A new Cayenne Turbo. A little less straight line performance, less of the limo type ride, but way more fun and still has plenty of power. Plus, so far reliability has been great. The PCM (Porsche Communications Management) is far superior IMO than the Audi MMI in my 15 S8.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if you have already addressed this. Could you tell me more about the CarPlay retro-fit? Do you have a thread on that? How was it done?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

The Sirius preset issue seems to have resolved itself on my car. After a cluster of problems a few weeks ago, no issues the last ten days , or so. I didn't do anything that would cure the problem, so I suspect Sirius over the air blasts were causing the problem.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same preset deletion bug every few months when Sirius does a channel guide update. It appears it is just one of the many bugs associated with the Audi MMI software.
I have a mix of FM and Sirius stations in my presets and only the Sirius ones disappear, and some time only a few of them. I suggest keep a mix of FM stations in there to keep the car thinking (better)

Quick Reply: Sirius Presets Dropping