A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow in wheelwell removal tool

Old 02-07-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Snow in wheelwell removal tool

Large diameter and wide tires seem to really pack in and hold the snow in the wheelwells. I don't think the felt type wheelwell liner material is helping much either; plastic liners seem to shed the slop better.

Do they make a special tool that's safe around the car but can easily knock out the ice and snow jammed in the wheel area?

Lots of smart engineer types in here with 3D printers, no? <shrug>
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy
Large diameter and wide tires seem to really pack in and hold the snow in the wheelwells. I don't think the felt type wheelwell liner material is helping much either; plastic liners seem to shed the slop better.

Do they make a special tool that's safe around the car but can easily knock out the ice and snow jammed in the wheel area?

The one time I needed it, the gas station attendant in New Jersey used a broomstick effectively.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,158 Likes on 906 Posts

Don't loose sleep over it. They are carpeted and hold snow and mud very well. Wait until it warms up or go to blast yourself car wash and use the heated pressure washer hose....
Old 02-08-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoran89
Don't loose sleep over it. They are carpeted and hold snow and mud very well. Wait until it warms up or go to blast yourself car wash and use the heated pressure washer hose....
I'll sleep ok but it has been an issue when going over bumps and turning causing bad wheel grinding sounds. Like most people, I can't just pop over to the car wash whenever I want.

I guess a piece of soft rounded wood does actually sound reasonable for a tool.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I just use the ice scrapper end of my snow brush. Works perfectly fine.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

When is nice and warm take wheel off and spray in there with scotch guard or flexi seal.... It will last a winter and there will be less buildup of snow. Unfortunately, you will have to repeat it every summer.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or, you could spray the clean wheelwell with a silicone spray lubricant. Even a nonstick cooking spray from the kitchen would do the job. Either would help the wheel well shed snow and ce.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Verybumpy

It is very annoying if I were to be nice here.. I can live with felt type wheel well but the snow built up in rims is unacceptable. I have separate 19" Audi D4 wheels with winter tires because I like to chase snow for skiing. Needless to say I know exactly what you mean. I used wood broomstick on occasion, bamboo sticks that's used to mark obstacle on the mountain work well too. Hot water from gas station out of sport bottle following the most expensive car wash that didn't quite help. The hot water squirted out of sport bottle works well, tho it took me some time.
After you shred hard for 3 days, party for 2 nights and then you get in a car at 5pm on Sunday with 7 hour drive ahead of you(middle of nowhere) and the whole car starts violently vibrating is pure misery.