A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solar Sunroof Experience

Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solar Sunroof Experience

I’m interested to hear comments from those that have the Solar Sunroof option. Does it keep the car cool on hot days while it’s parked? If so, is it really noticeable or is the car just a bit less hot? Basically I’m wondering if this is mainly a novelty feature or if it’s very practical and functional.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Solar Panels

Originally Posted by kwilkins
I’m interested to hear comments from those that have the Solar Sunroof option. Does it keep the car cool on hot days while it’s parked? If so, is it really noticeable or is the car just a bit less hot? Basically I’m wondering if this is mainly a novelty feature or if it’s very practical and functional.
I live in Palm Springs and had a 2008 A8L with the solar sunroof. The fan did operate, but it didn't really keep the car cool, not that I expected it to in the 110+ weather we get during the summer. I just this past February got a 2011 A8 with the heated/air conditioned seats, and I am very impressed with that option. The seats get cold in a big hurry; something far more useful that the solar panels.

Hope this helps
Old 04-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That does help, thanks for the info. If I get the A8 will go with the option that provides heated and cooled seats.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the option in my black A8 and it does keep you from being blasted by hot air when you open the door on a warm day or first start the car and the superheated air from the ducts discharges. I like having it, but the tradeoff for me is that I don't have the transparent roof in the cooler months. I'm not sure that I'll get it on my next A8, but I do think it's worthwhile if you don't want the transparent panel.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solar Roof

I had it in my 2007 here in Florida, and it didn't help much with the heat. I would rather have a clear glass moonroof for the winter.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

The solar panel sunroof has been available since the D2 platform and I don't know how similar it is between my D3 and the new D4's.

Still, I will say that in northern California's dry heat, its contribution is noticeable though by no means dramatic. On very hot days, the interior may get really warm with my brilliant black exterior but it cools off very quickly and I no longer experience scalding hot leather and unbreathable interior air like in other black cars I've had. On mildly hot or warm days, the interior and seating surface is warm at most and sometimes even stays cool.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottphillip
I had it in my 2007 here in Florida, and it didn't help much with the heat. I would rather have a clear glass moonroof for the winter.
If you live in a very hot climate, it helps just modestly, namely in that your car is not an oven when you get in. The car is by no means cool. I think the solar roof is of nominal benefit.

However, I prefer not having a glass roof, because I really never open the interior slide. In all my cars i just always open th roof itself. I like protection from the intense sun when closed, so I don't see utility in a moon roof setup.

If you live in a climate with intense sun, I would recommend the solar option; in other climates you probably would be better off with the glass sunroof.

If you want more sun than that, just get the R8 Spyder
Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi,
What I see from catalogs shouldn't be a problem to fit electric sliding/pop-up solar sunroof with automatic pre-selection 4E0877071D
insted of Electric slide/tilt sunroof with sun screen/sunblind 4E0877071
into Audi A8/S8 2008 ?

http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pro...Term=4E0877071

and this adapter will be needed 4E0971516 ?
http://www.jimellisaudiparts.com/pro...4E0971516.html

Am I thinking correctly ?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gedis080:

I have a D3 with a solar sunroof. The affect of the solar sunroof is so marginal that I can't imagine it is worth the money to retro-fit it. I can only imagine it could cost a thousand or more dollars and when it is done if the sunroof leaks or something else goes wrong, you'll want to shoot yourself.

Here are some comments:

1) for the first year I had my car I was convinced it didnt work until once I heard it running when I got in the car and since then I hear it all of the time, I just didnt know what to listen for.

2) I also don't care about having a glass sunroof because I don't like light coming in from above like that, even in winter.

3) I am in the process of ordering a D4 and I did order the solar sunroof option, just an fyi.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FWIW, I wanted the solar sunroof, but was "forced" to get the panoramic roof with my option set. I am very surprised at how efficiently the glass roof blocks heat and, to a certain extent, sunlight. after experiencing the panoramic roof, and seeing the above discussion, I am really glad to have the glass roof vs a solid roof...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solar Sunroof Experience