A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold my '13 A8 4.0TL CPO, got a new ride:

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No car is perfect or designed to do all things. This means I will just have to find ways to get more cars.

I agree on American cars. I am impressed with the new GM and Ford products and I hope that these companies will bring out cars that even we can spend our money on. I too will be test driving the new Continental. It really feels good to finally buy American and be happy with the product. There are no excuses with this CTS-V and that's why I chose it.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

don't rag on the poster! if he loves it, he loves it! I personally think they're gorgeous looking! I wish they still made the couple CTS-V! That car was sick. I used to look down on Caddys but I think they've come a loooooong way in the past few years. Congrats and enjoy it! just make sure you have an attorney on retainer for the tickets! 640hp!?!?!?!?!?!
Old 04-09-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Once you get used to putzing around with 600+hp, everything else feels insufficient. While my old V was short on power compared to the modern version, it's handling was sublime. I hear they also managed to make huge strides from the plasticy first gen interior as well. I would love a new V, but I can only have so many cars. Shame we can't all be like Leno.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would also pace yourself with all that power going to only the rear wheels after being used to Audi's AWD. Especially in slippery situations.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Biggest difference is the immediate response and power available. I thought 4.0TT tuned had good response, but it is just silly in V8 SC. However, having only 2 wheels putting power to the ground is what I have to get used to. I miss the AWD grip and I'm hoping I can learn how to drive this car better.

Also the turn in and handling. I don't know how the CTS-V chassis does it, but it is surreal. I heard people tracking these things bone stock, now I know why. The confidence on a turn in is hard to describe how good it is with CTS-V, with A8 I felt the under-steer and body roll way too often and never felt compelled to attack a corner.

Lastly, the CTS-V is and more importantly feels so much lighter on its feet. It is truly effortless to drive these 640HP.

The A8 is a true luxury car with many large and small features that will be missed. CTS-V is a true sports car with handling and responsiveness that I never saw in any of the Audi products. A8 4.0T is a better everyday car for family, work and occasional freeway blasts. A8 is also much more comfortable, and easier to fall asleep in. They really are two different cars, the reason I got the CTS-V is because my lifestyle still affords me toys and I decided to take advantage of it while I still can. I still want S8 in my future, but that can happen any time and I decided for that time to be a little bit later.
Thanks for the detailed response. I drove a friend's CTS-V wagon awhile back and really loved the thing, but it seemed like the only color ever made was black and having owned a black car once before, I didn't want to get another

Congrats on the new ride and enjoy it, that thing will show up most any other non-exotic on the street.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats ...... I evaluated the CTS V before finally finding a S8 plus that I wanted more
It is a BEAST
Old 04-18-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm signing up for V-Performance Academy. I'm having a real hard time adjusting to RWD with this much power... hopefully I didn't make a mistake.

This car breaks traction at 85 MPH on a freeways stock. I don't know how the 800 WHP guys drive theirs.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Spinning the tires at 85? Are you saying that's how fast it gets to before it stops spinning from a standstill or or how fast you're going when you mash the throttle and it still spins? I know my CL, which has 15 fewer horsepower but 70 more torques, spins it's tires up to 60mph from a stop or will break them loose at most at 50mph. That with 265 series all season tires. Are your roads that slick out there? My guess would have been that the V with it's fat tires would have stuck better than my big coupe.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Going WOT at 85 MPH on a normal freeway breaks read end loose when the car downshifts. I'm running 295 Super Sports on the rear. 1st and 2nd gear will spin past half throttle.

I'm going to take the V driving school, 2 days on the track and then probably throw on Pilot Sport Cup 2 in 305 on the rear.

While driving the A8 I forgot how much easier life is with AWD... this is bringing me back to my MB days.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 04-19-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ah, barking the tires. Them hard shifts. I do it in the Challenger going into 4th at 95mph if I'm really going full bore, but that's a stick shift. The old Merc and it's 5 speed doesn't shift aggressively enough to bark going into any gear, but the back will still sashay a bit past 60 when it's really breathing. As much fun as it is, a big puff of tire smoke is a bit irritating when you're trying to put a beating on those uppity M3's and STI's. Can't wait to get into an S8, I won't have to worry about conditions and careful throttle application so much when those moments arise. Just foot down and enjoy the ride. The V's power is stunning, too, but where that car shines is the bendy bits. Unreal, I hear, how those take corners.

Quick Reply: Sold my '13 A8 4.0TL CPO, got a new ride: