A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is this the "buzzing" that everybody complains about from the VDO boost gauge?

Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is this the "buzzing" that everybody complains about from the VDO boost gauge?

I had my boost gauge installed at AWE several years ago. Todd installed the anti-buzz filter, which, to my naive eyes, appears to be some sort of pressure release valve.

About 1.5 years ago the gauge stopped working. I took it apart, and removed some kinks in the plastic tubing. That didn't fix it. I also removed the AWE anti-buzz filter, thinking that might be the culprit. Nope.
So then I thought that the gauge itself had failed so I bought a new one from AWE. That didn't do the trick either.

Finally I bought a whole new tubing kit from PureMS, with the intention of running a whole new vac line to the gauge. Well I never got around to doing it, and I just got used to not having a boost gauge anymore.

When my car was at Speedtechnik yesterday for suspension & brakes, I asked them to run the new vac line. No problem.
But now my gauge buzzes like crazy -- it is a mechanical sort of buzzing. And it is intermittent -- not necessarily corresponding to any boost levels (in fact it happens more in vacuum than in boost).

When I got home I put the anti-buzz filter back inline. That helped the problem somewhat, but not entirely. I had also purchased the anti-buzz T-fitting from PureMS. So I replaced the regular T-fitting with the anti-buzz one. Again, that helped some more, but not entirely.

So right now I have BOTH the PureMS anti-buzz T-fitting, AND the AWE anti-buzz filter, and there is still a little bit of buzzing.

My old gauge never buzzed, with just the filter.
I am thinking of putting the old gauge in, to see if that works.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
-- Peter

PS Aside from the buzzing, the new gauge works great!
Old 10-06-2005, 05:06 AM
FAQ Author

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default i think the buzzing comes from expensive gauges as they are more sensible to the readings

and since a running engine causes some vibrations and pressure variations that might be the reason. good boost gauges probably buzz because of that. i have a cheap 25$ one and no problems with it buzzing wise
Old 10-06-2005, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The VDO gauge is not expensive either

My old one never buzzed. But the new one does. So when I get around to it, I'll probably put the old one back in to see if the problem goes away.

-- P.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i broke my anti-buzz fitting from awe installing my VDO gauge.

so i used a narrow angle T fitting from mcmaster. I also used the full length of vac line and hard tube from the AWE kit.

no buzzing what so ever. either its the length of line going to the gauge or the type of t fitting i used.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
FAQ Author

Default we should probably do a poll to whether people used rubber hose or vinyl tubing for the gauge

i would think that vinyl tubing for the boost gauge doesnt absorb any vibrations compared to rubber hose (vaccum hose) when used with the boost gauge
Old 10-06-2005, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my vdo buzzes ussually when i'm at half throttle and half boost

i have the ecs anti buzz t-fitting. It's not too bad so I just live with it.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmm, interesting theory

When AWE installed the gauge years ago, Todd used a normal T-fitting, and ran a length of the cloth wrapped rubber hose to the dashboard. Then hard vinyl tubing only a short distance from the fuse box up to the gauge.

I notice that Speedtechnik used rubber hose to the ECU box, then spliced it to my existing cloth wrapped hose which AWE had put there. I can only assume that they used the vinyl tubing from the dash up to the gauge -- because I supplied it (purchased from PureMS) and didn't get any of it back.

--P.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 AM
FAQ Author

Default i started a poll above. lets see where this goes by the end of the day.

i think rubber hoses are the way to go. but they might become brittle after some time and have to be replaced.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I believe it has to do with the T-Fitting itself

Only reason is, I've used a brass narrow t and the buzz went away. And I'm using the full hard line from the kit as well. When I put the standard plastic T in, the damn thing buzz's at idle.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i agree thats its probably the fitting. it may also be the quality of the connections.

some leaking under vac could cause a sputtering, which would be reflected in the gauge itself. my connections use all OEM metal clamps, except for the rubber/vinyl connection where i used 3 zip ties.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this the "buzzing" that everybody complains about from the VDO boost gauge?