AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Static clicking sound randomly inside (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/static-clicking-sound-randomly-inside-2968828/)

Toddn149 03-15-2019 08:27 AM

Static clicking sound randomly inside

just got a 2015 A8 and when driving it at random times I hear a 3 clicking sound almost muffled and static like sound. It happens randomly and not sure where it’s coming from. Sound like speakers but could also be the MMI itself. ive not tried to mute the audio to see if that stops it. It’s pretty quick and doesn’t do it consistently. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this

Verybumpy 03-15-2019 09:05 AM

If you think its the audio system, you might be able to remove a fuse or 3 so all speakers are completely inoperable to help isolate the problem.

Jibsymalone 03-15-2019 10:11 AM

Does it sound similar to when you place a cell phone next to a speaker? Like a chirping sound?

Toddn149 03-15-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone (Post 25289753)
Does it sound similar to when you place a cell phone next to a speaker? Like a chirping sound?

Its really hard to describe, I’d say a cross between a chirp and a static click. Does it like 3 times and then stops. It’s also random and I can’t quickly record it or move around as it only lasts 2-3 seconds. It’s annoying though.

Jibsymalone 03-15-2019 10:47 AM

Mine does the same thing. I have read it could be a few different things, but most seem to point to the hard drive. Apparently these cars are known for some weird and wonderful random electronic noises?!

Toddn149 03-15-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jibsymalone (Post 25289774)
Mine does the same thing. I have read it could be a few different things, but most seem to point to the hard drive. Apparently these cars are known for some weird and wonderful random electronic noises?!

Ok good to know, guess I’ll have to just keep the radio louder LOL

Jibsymalone 03-15-2019 11:04 AM

Oh for sure, that fixes a multitude of issue 😉

MP4.2+6.0 03-15-2019 12:28 PM

Search on it. Some recently say it is key synching periodically, and there is some supposed patch. Earlier my speculation was a hard drive head movement, since there is a now yesteryear hard drive at the heart of D4 MMI. My kids can hear it, by my ears don't pick it up for whatever reason. The hard drive theory worries me some, since our similar hard drive 2013 Q5 system just suddenly crashed one day--with that sickening hard drive to the rotating disc out of no where final sound. A three grand plus complete subassembly (under warranty) for basically an obsolete $30, sub-100 megabyte hard drive. For now, glad to know CPO picks up the MMI, Nav and sound related components as of last several years.

TinyElviss 03-16-2019 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 25289811)
Search on it. Some recently say it is key synching periodically, and there is some supposed patch. Earlier my speculation was a hard drive head movement, since there is a now yesteryear hard drive at the heart of D4 MMI. My kids can hear it, by my ears don't pick it up for whatever reason. The hard drive theory worries me some, since our similar hard drive 2013 Q5 system just suddenly crashed one day--with that sickening hard drive to the rotating disc out of no where final sound. A three grand plus complete subassembly (under warranty) for basically an obsolete $30, sub-100 megabyte hard drive. For now, glad to know CPO picks up the MMI, Nav and sound related components as of last several years.

Does the hard drive serve any function other than storing music?
I have an intermittent >muffled jingle bells< sound that, like the OP described, comes on randomly, lasts about 3 cycles, then disappears. Wife can hear it from the passenger seat, tho I think it comes mainly from the left side of the car. It almost always comes on within a couple minutes of starting out in the morning. On highway trips, it will chime in for no good reason at no discernable interval.
If the hard drive's only function is to store music, I'm not terribly affected as I listen to XM/Sirius much more than stored tunes.

Side note: Is music quality that much better from the iPhone via cable vs SD cards or hard drive?? I reread your post about using a iPod... I do that for my Goldwing once I discovered there are no radio stations to listen to when carving canyons in the middle of nowhere. So I have an old iPod to hookup if the sound quality is that much better.

tx170754 03-16-2019 05:30 AM

It doesn't matter if the music comes from iPod/Iphone or SD cards, what matters is the bitrate of the recorded music.