A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subtle Ride Dysfunction After Mutilating Traffic Cone

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Subtle Ride Dysfunction After Mutilating Traffic Cone

The nice parking lot attendant placed a cone next to my left front tire car at night, and when we left in the dark I didn't see it so I rolled over it, wedged it underneath the front, and had to back up then drive straight over it to dislodge it. Nothing over 2-3mph. I now notice the car feels like it has a flat-spotted tire vibration, noticeable at around 35mph on up. At highway speeds, it seems to vary from hardly noticeable to something akin to unbalanced tire feel. It's subtle, but it is there. Just had my winter wheels/tires put on so I know the pressure/balance is spot on and yes, they road force balance.

My dealer is less-than-stellar when I give them descriptions (as you can see from previous posts), so I was hoping to triage here and give them a specific suggestion or two to check. I have an appointment for brake service in two weeks which coincides with factory warranty expiring and CPO kicking in.

Any thoughts??
Old 11-15-2018, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your wheel weights, it may have dislodged some. Also check your fender liner, it may have popped out and is touching the wheel or tire (that has happened to me before).
Old 11-15-2018, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
The nice parking lot attendant placed a cone next to my left front tire car at night, and when we left in the dark I didn't see it so I rolled over it, wedged it underneath the front, and had to back up then drive straight over it to dislodge it. Nothing over 2-3mph. I now notice the car feels like it has a flat-spotted tire vibration, noticeable at around 35mph on up. At highway speeds, it seems to vary from hardly noticeable to something akin to unbalanced tire feel. It's subtle, but it is there. Just had my winter wheels/tires put on so I know the pressure/balance is spot on and yes, they road force balance.

My dealer is less-than-stellar when I give them descriptions (as you can see from previous posts), so I was hoping to triage here and give them a specific suggestion or two to check. I have an appointment for brake service in two weeks which coincides with factory warranty expiring and CPO kicking in.

Any thoughts??
That means you need to go and get your eyes tested...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
That means you need to go and get your eyes tested...
"Pilot Error" happens around here more than i care to admit to......and not just car-related........
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://youtu.be/n9tSN0178Us