A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bar End Links (Front End Squeak)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sway Bar End Links (Front End Squeak)

Alternate Title: "Yes, That Sound Really *IS* The End Links"

Thanks to all the contributors in the forum. I didn't even have to post this question, as all the required information has been discussed many times here. Though, I did read the section in the service manual in case there were any gotchas.

My front end sounded like a squeaky bed in a comedy's parody of a **** scene...

Apparently, the movie was from China - as were my original end links. This has been discussed. It's a shame. I wonder what else on the car is supplied from China and (as such?) has a higher potential to fail. The replacements were made in Germany and were also identifiable by what looks like a re-designed bushing with much thicker metal surrounding it.

For those investigating this for themselves, the end links are referred to as "coupling links" in the Audi service manual - and they're included (with the swab bar) in the "Subframe" section.

While I made sure to perform the final tightening of the bolts with the wheels in the correct position (fully supporting the car's weight), I didn't use new bolts and made them "good n' tight" since the torque spec is probably for new bolts that have some stretch factor.

Special thanks, also, to Audionlineparts.com (who I think is a sponsor?). I had called them first, because I was going to pick the parts up in person - but later had to use their web site because my travel plans changed. They were great with coordinating that with the stock they'd order for me. I've used them three times, and can say they're always knowledgeable, courteous, and reasonably priced.
The following users liked this post:
Kingmoe82 (11-14-2019)
Old 01-29-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I completely agree, this forum has saved me a tremendous amount of time and head aches. Audi service replaced my sway bar links last week for the squeaky noise. Just put my tune back on after getting in back. That's a pain in the ***, but worth it as they haven't seen it yet.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dealer took my car 3 weeks ago for this symptom (2013 A8L under 40K miles). When the mechanic took it out he said he couldn't hear anything and I told the mechanic to take it over a speed bump and you'll hear it. Sure enough he did. They had to wait about a week to get the parts in, swapped them and then same noise. That's pretty much when the dealer turned on the caterpiller drive. Got a hold of someone there last week and they said they're looking at the struts. Left a couple more messages didn't hear anything. Finally got some from service today and the person came back and said they're working on it and asked if I needed more info. I asked the service person what the mechanic was exactly working on or, are they just taking stabs at it. The service person came back and asked if it's ok if the service manager calls me right back,,,,,, yeeeeeah right.

So I guess my question on this board, has anyone had these symptoms and it wasn't the sway bar links?
Old 01-30-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by ottobaby
The Dealer took my car 3 weeks ago for this symptom (2013 A8L under 40K miles). When the mechanic took it out he said he couldn't hear anything and I told the mechanic to take it over a speed bump and you'll hear it. Sure enough he did. They had to wait about a week to get the parts in, swapped them and then same noise. That's pretty much when the dealer turned on the caterpiller drive. Got a hold of someone there last week and they said they're looking at the struts. Left a couple more messages didn't hear anything. Finally got some from service today and the person came back and said they're working on it and asked if I needed more info. I asked the service person what the mechanic was exactly working on or, are they just taking stabs at it. The service person came back and asked if it's ok if the service manager calls me right back,,,,,, yeeeeeah right.

So I guess my question on this board, has anyone had these symptoms and it wasn't the sway bar links?
Upper control arm inner mount bushings, struts themselves, and sway bar bushings at subframe/body are other suspects.

For control arm bushings it is clearly a "when" not "if" on all D3's. D4 is still essentially the same design; search and you will find threads here (some w/ my replies) and you will confirm same issue remains on D4. D3 life span was realistically 40-90K miles. Frankly, I think a dealer service department/experienced A8 mechanic should know to look at these--they have been failing "reliably" all the way back to D2. Basic design is from a mid 90's A4 at more than 1,000 pounds less weight and with wheel and brake combined weights probably only half what where are by D3 or D4. BTW, inner front tire wear is another pointer to the bushings likely going south. If you happen to see that, from my own experience on two different models of prior Audis with same basic set up (D3 and C5 A6 4.2) definitely go down the road of the control arm bushings pretty far.

Sway bar mount point bushings haven't come up here much...so far... Give it time though for that one too... Failure rate on them was the slowest among the top 3 for D3: upper arm bushings, sway bar end links and then sway bar subframe mount bushings.

Search for a D4 post I recall in last few months where the end result was they replaced both front struts. Back up a step though first: are you in warranty (including CPO), or out of warranty? At 2013 are likely out of 4/50 warranty unless CPO'ed or 3d party warranty. Struts will cost several grand, so if headed there a) get a firm price and b) likely learn to live with it. By contrast, if in warranty and they go there, absolutely let them have at it since they are prone to leak at high miles/years anyway.

For search, AW search box is almost useless. Point Google at it instead, for example: Audi D4 A8 "control arm bushings" site:audiworld.com Not sure how D4 in string will affect it, but without it you will get a zillion D3 hits to wade through.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-30-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Upper control arm inner mount bushings, struts themselves, and sway bar bushings at subframe/body are other suspects.

For control arm bushings it is clearly a "when" not "if" on all D3's. D4 is still essentially the same design; search and you will find threads here (some w/ my replies) and you will confirm same issue remains on D4. D3 life span was realistically 40-90K miles. Frankly, I think a dealer service department/experienced A8 mechanic should know to look at these--they have been failing "reliably" all the way back to D2. Basic design is from a mid 90's A4 at more than 1,000 pounds less weight and with wheel and brake combined weights probably only half what where are by D3 or D4. BTW, inner front tire wear is another pointer to the bushings likely going south. If you happen to see that, from my own experience on two different models of prior Audis with same basic set up (D3 and C5 A6 4.2) definitely go down the road of the control arm bushings pretty far.

Sway bar mount point bushings haven't come up here much...so far... Give it time though for that one too... Failure rate on them was the slowest among the top 3 for D3: upper arm bushings, sway bar end links and then sway bar subframe mount bushings.

Search for a D4 post I recall in last few months where the end result was they replaced both front struts. Back up a step though first: are you in warranty (including CPO), or out of warranty? At 2013 are likely out of 4/50 warranty unless CPO'ed or 3d party warranty. Struts will cost several grand, so if headed there a) get a firm price and b) likely learn to live with it. By contrast, if in warranty and they go there, absolutely let them have at it since they are prone to leak at high miles/years anyway.

For search, AW search box is almost useless. Point Google at it instead, for example: Audi D4 A8 "control arm bushings" site:audiworld.com Not sure how D4 in string will affect it, but without it you will get a zillion D3 hits to wade through.
Thanks MP4! That would line up because they did mention they were looking at the Struts a week ago. Fortunately the car is CPO'd from the Dealer that is working on it. When I do hear back from them, I'm going to push for them to do both.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there ever an update to this? My car is the shop now for a similar issue. Easier to hear over dips that bumps.

Recently replaced lower control arms and stabilizer links (according to the work order) and not resolved. Now going to replace the sway bar.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yep, they did the sway bars too along with the control arms. They finally brought a guy in from NYC (like they were trying to impress me not knowing, that's where I'm from) with remote stethoscope which they were finally able to narrow it down to the struts. Which is what I was telling them from the very beginning.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was done, in all about $3k worth of worth at a discounted rate for Fidelity extended warranty. So glad the noise is gone. Good thing I didn’t upgrade the sway bar yet.

So so glad I got the extended warranty, which sadly ends this August or 11k miles.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same issue last year - loud squeaking going over speed bumps. It took the dealer a while to reproduce the sound (I could hear it every day driving into work), but eventually they did and the adventure began. I had suggested changing the sway bar end links first, but they decided the air suspension was the likely culprit. They replaced the driver's side front air strut first, but the noise was still there. They were going to replace the passenger side as well, but Audi stepped in and had them replace the sway bar end links and bushings, and the noise went away. It's been about a year and the noise has not returned. I kind of wish they had replaced the other front air strut as well, but I'm glad the noise is gone.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
I had the same issue last year - loud squeaking going over speed bumps. .
How many miles were on the car at the time?

Quick Reply: Sway Bar End Links (Front End Squeak)