A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Mobile turndown from 3G to 2G

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Mobile turndown from 3G to 2G

So last week I noticed I was only getting 2G service from the built-in SIM/DATA in my car which is No Bueno for streaming Netflix or anything else, 3G was bad enough. This had been something I noticed from time to time but thought it was the evil communications company throttling me cause of the streaming and dropping me down to 2G. Long story short contacted AOA they sent out a new SIM, same deal. While getting the SIM swapped learned that T-Mobile is in the process of turning down the 3G service. I have to he 2&1/2 yr unlimited data plan($450).

Audi, nothing we can do for you.... except "MAYBE" refunding some of the $450.

I personally like having the Wi-Fi (Streaming) and Google maps work in the car so, I am wondering if there is anyone else experiencing this issue and more importantly have some sort of solution to up speed.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:10 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I thought the issue wasn't so much that 3G is turning off but that they are changing their frequencies. So you need a new 3G modem since you have a 2013 which I believe is the cutoff for the older modem. I think the dealership should have more information about it or have a TSB describing your exact issue. Whether or not the modem replacement will be covered by Audi I'm not sure.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

You just go in for the new modem replacement. Audi did it on my 2013 Q5, no big deal.

You should have gotten a letter from Audi in the first place, if your current address is registered w/ them from buying new--or filling out the new owner/address change card.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Correct. T-Mobile is not turning down their 3G network. They are refarming it to free up more bandwith for their LTE network. The new frequency band they are moving to is not supported by the 2013 MMI, only 2014 and newer. To address this issue, Audi offers a no cost hardware replacement for the the telelphone module. The new module also fully supports AT&T and you can switch. I've done the modem update on my RS5 and I have the car on my AT&T Shared Data plan for $10/month now. No more T-Mobile for me. They sucked around here. The refarming may have improved things, but their coverage is still way behind AT&T.

Here's the letter you should have received along with the new data plans.

Letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

Data plans: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

BTW, it will also be faster after the update as the new modem supports the faster HSPA/HSPA+ networks. Your modem is stuck on the turtle slow UMTS network.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-07-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Correct. T-Mobile is not turning down their 3G network. They are refarming it to free up more bandwith for their LTE network. The new frequency band they are moving to is not supported by the 2013 MMI, only 2014 and newer. To address this issue, Audi offers a no cost hardware replacement for the the telelphone module. The new module also fully supports AT&T and you can switch. I've done the modem update on my RS5 and I have the car on my AT&T Shared Data plan for $10/month now. No more T-Mobile for me. They sucked around here. The refarming may have improved things, but their coverage is still way behind AT&T.

Here's the letter you should have received along with the new data plans.

Letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

Data plans: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

BTW, it will also be faster after the update as the new modem supports the faster HSPA/HSPA+ networks. Your modem is stuck on the turtle slow UMTS network.

Called the dealer, well my service guy at the dealership, and he knows of no such thing. Is there a service bulletin or something I can present to him so they upgrade the thing? In fact what I spoke to AOA they claimed there was no way to change/upgrade modem period, so now I am extra confused but hopeful.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by ahyaman718
Called the dealer, well my service guy at the dealership, and he knows of no such thing. Is there a service bulletin or something I can present to him so they upgrade the thing? In fact what I spoke to AOA they claimed there was no way to change/upgrade modem period, so now I am extra confused but hopeful.
I'm surprised AoA didn't know what you were talking about. This refarming started over a year ago and is done market by market. I'm not surprised that your service department may not know yet. The dealers don't have authorization to replace the modem until the refarming takes place in your home market. They don't get the parts, either. I don't have a service bulletin, but here's the info form my invoice along with the part number for the conversion kit.
Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile turndown from 3G to 2G-capture.jpg  

Last edited by superswiss; 07-07-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Are you the original owner of the car? Some who are second owners have reported they were told by their service dept. that the modem update is not covered under warranty and other have had no issue getting it covered.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm surprised AoA didn't know what you were talking about. This refarming started over a year ago and is done market by market. I'm not surprised that your service department may not know yet. The dealers don't have authorization to replace the modem until the refarming takes place in your home market. They don't get the parts, either. I don't have a service bulletin, but here's the info form my invoice along with the part number for the conversion kit.

Thanks, but my worry is I am at 48500 in miles, but certified and want this resolved before the original warranty is up so they don't have the out of saying its MMI related and no covered under the certified limited warranty.

Last edited by ahyaman718; 07-07-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Are you the original owner of the car? Some who are second owners have reported they were told by their service dept. that the modem update is not covered under warranty and other have had no issue getting it covered.
Not the original owner, but car is still under factory warranty. AudiConnect also was the one who sold me the data package knowing I may have an issue. When I spoke to them, they kept referring to the carrier, my response I have not dealt with the carrier my payment was made to Audi. I am not the best at going through my mail so its quite possible something came but I haven't seen it.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I bought my car in May and haven't been able to use any of the data features(google earth, hotspot, etc.) Every time I tried I got the network connection error or it timed out. After joining the forum I learned of the T-Mobile issue and contacted AOA. After waiting nearly 90 days for them to review my file and make a decision on whether or not I am worthy of an upgrade, yesterday they tell me I can get 2 months of 2G service for free. If I like the 2G speed then I can purchase a subscription plan. They told me I am not eligible for the hardware replacement.

Is this typical? Is there anyway I can get the free hardware upgrade later? I asked the customer service rep these questions and she said "I don't know, maybe."

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: T-Mobile turndown from 3G to 2G