AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Think I've changed my mind to the S8...... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/think-ive-changed-my-mind-s8-2947097/)

Kelzo 04-13-2018 07:06 AM

Think I've changed my mind to the S8......

The previous thread I thought I wanted the A8L 4.0 (2015). Had a test drive of a 3.0 and really like it so could only imagine the 4.0 would be even better.
Well, luck would have it, a 2014 S8 is in town and up for sale. So, after testing that of course I fell in love! My mindset would be, I loved the A8....but would always desire the S8! So, why not say **** it and go straight for the S8! (YOLO lifestyle :P)
Now.....there are 2 reasonable options out there that I can see - I've never seen a car with such wide range of prices in the used market, all over the place! Getting a low mileage, accident-free still under original warranty is tough to find and do, without overpaying $10k+

Am I making the right choice right? It put a huge smile on my face even driving around with the doughnut sales guy.
The one I am focusing on is my favourite colour inside and out, B&O upgrade, in great condition, under warranty - THE only part it has is the wood grain trim instead of the carbon fiber trim look. Not a big deal.

.....As soon as someone tells me I'm making the right decision I'll jump (also don't tell the wife).

PS - Anyone with little kids and an S8? I sat in the back and seemed plenty of room. The edmunds website states 38"+ of leg room which is more than enough for these big car seats these days.

cleex024 04-13-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Kelzo (Post 25138115)
The previous thread I thought I wanted the A8L 4.0 (2015). Had a test drive of a 3.0 and really like it so could only imagine the 4.0 would be even better.
Well, luck would have it, a 2014 S8 is in town and up for sale. So, after testing that of course I fell in love! My mindset would be, I loved the A8....but would always desire the S8! So, why not say **** it and go straight for the S8! (YOLO lifestyle :P)
Now.....there are 2 reasonable options out there that I can see - I've never seen a car with such wide range of prices in the used market, all over the place! Getting a low mileage, accident-free still under original warranty is tough to find and do, without overpaying $10k+

Am I making the right choice right? It put a huge smile on my face even driving around with the doughnut sales guy.
The one I am focusing on is my favourite colour inside and out, B&O upgrade, in great condition, under warranty - THE only part it has is the wood grain trim instead of the carbon fiber trim look. Not a big deal.

.....As soon as someone tells me I'm making the right decision I'll jump (also don't tell the wife).

PS - Anyone with little kids and an S8? I sat in the back and seemed plenty of room. The edmunds website states 38"+ of leg room which is more than enough for these big car seats these days.

So I bought a 16 s8 plus last year and I have a 3 year old and second on the way... The car definitely has enough space but do I wish I had a little more? Yes...I wish this came in the s8l lol but I absolutely love this car. I would have to say though because I drive so much and losing so much value I would probably have gone there a8l route and got a stg2 tune.

It's only been 1 year and already have 40k miles and only going to put on more next year. Other than that though I don't regret my decision... I think as soon as my loan is paid off the car should die around the same time lol and I'll just get the new a8l and an r8.

nictven 04-13-2018 11:12 AM

I recently bought a '13 S8 because I need to fit 2 kidz in the back (4yo and 2yo). Both of them rear facing, and I could sit comfortably with very very minor of adjustment (I am 5 ft 10).
In fact, the car is also wide enough to fit 1 more slim build person in the middle for a very short trip. Hope this info helps.

Doctormario 04-13-2018 02:01 PM

Do they make S8

with wood grain and not carbon fiber dash trim? I’ve never seen that before

Twglasgow 04-13-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doctormario (Post 25138255)
with wood grain and not carbon fiber dash trim? I’ve never seen that before

run the VIN, who is the seller? If you’re stretching to buy it you don’t want to get burned.
update: audi order guide indicates that interior trim bedsides carbon fiber was available. Still, run the VIN to get the window sticker.

Kelzo 04-13-2018 05:16 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I am currently coming from a 2016 Tahoe.....which is huge.......however, edmunds stats, state that the leg room in the rear is almost identical! More than happy with that.
Have ran the VIN - 1 owner, no accidents or anything. It is still under warranty and from a very reputable huge dealership (paying a little more for the comfort of knowing it's coming from somewhere very responsible and respectable etc.)
The one I test drove was at an Independent dealership and I don't overly trust those.

Here are a couple of the images of the apparent 'grain ash' inlays:
https://i.imgur.com/CXuYZjE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/zaZX8J0.jpg

I have the window sticker also: 2015 S8 4.0 Quattro Tiptronic
Packages:
B&O Upgrade $6300
Audi Night vision assistant $2300 (This looks awesome....but also gimmicky?)
Driver Assistance Package, S8 $2100
Cold Weather Package $750
Media Cable Package $295 (really? $300 for a cable - what does it do?)
21" 5-arm rotor design package with Summer Tires $250
***Fine grain ash, velvet brown inlays - included.

Main goals was the cold weather package, B&O and the alacantra headliner with the diamond seats.....but these all seem almost standard on the S8,

States heated front seats......going to assume they also A/C as well?
Edit - I see on the dash where the a/c seat button is :)

Kelzo 04-13-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by nictven (Post 25138204)
I recently bought a '13 S8 because I need to fit 2 kidz in the back (4yo and 2yo). Both of them rear facing, and I could sit comfortably with very very minor of adjustment (I am 5 ft 10).
In fact, the car is also wide enough to fit 1 more slim build person in the middle for a very short trip. Hope this info helps.

Ha perfect! We have a 4yr old and a 18mth old!

....with another due in August :eek:

Twglasgow 04-13-2018 06:35 PM

Night vision works, does this car have the head up display? It may also provide images of large animals, think lions, tigers and bears in big sky country.

Kelzo 04-14-2018 03:11 AM

It does have heads up display. The 2014 I test drove did not, so assuming this became standard on the refreshed face lift 2015+ models.
... Which will be perfect for those pesky neighborhood tigers!

Mike911A8 04-14-2018 05:33 AM

Kelzo, the kids will be delighted in the back seat of the S8. Plenty of room, and the ride in the back seat will be much better than the Tahoe.

My D2 and D3 A8's were both SWB, and my kids were in the 10-14 age range when I bought the D2, and no problem whatsoever. They reached full grown adulthood in the D3, and still no problem. They aren't runts, either. D4 S8 even larger, and as a practical matter, you will probably have moved on to another car by the time they are teenagers.

Get an S8. Mike