A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a 2011 A8 - need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2011 A8 - need help

Hello everyone!

I currently own a 2011 Audi A4 but it has over 120k miles now and I want a different car. I really liked this 2011 Audi A8 4.2 Sedan at a dealership by me that has 50k miles. I was wondering if you guys think this will last for around another 20-30k miles easily without any major purchases and also what questions should I ask the dealership to make sure this car is in great shape. I only drive around 10-15 miles a day for work so its not like I will be doing long distance or rough driving with the car. Only long distance will be going to the beach some weeks, etc

I am going to be test driving it tonight so anything in advance would help a lot. It was a perfect carfax.

Also is there anything I will need to replace in the next 20-40k miles like the timing chain, etc to make sure it runs completely smooth and I do not have a turbo or engine problem.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by codydemmel4
Hello everyone!

I currently own a 2011 Audi A4 but it has over 120k miles now and I want a different car. I really liked this 2011 Audi A8 4.2 Sedan at a dealership by me that has 50k miles. I was wondering if you guys think this will last for around another 20-30k miles easily without any major purchases and also what questions should I ask the dealership to make sure this car is in great shape. I only drive around 10-15 miles a day for work so its not like I will be doing long distance or rough driving with the car. Only long distance will be going to the beach some weeks, etc

I am going to be test driving it tonight so anything in advance would help a lot. It was a perfect carfax.

Also is there anything I will need to replace in the next 20-40k miles like the timing chain, etc to make sure it runs completely smooth and I do not have a turbo or engine problem.

Thanks
As always, it depends.
There are no guarantees.
You roll the dice with a used car purchase.
Have the car inspected by a trusted mechanic that knows Audis.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is an expensive car. As such, when components break, they may quite expensive to repair/replace.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. I know if something bad happens it’ll be expensive having owned an Audi, especially since this is higher end.

I am mostly looking for what should I look out for. So far I found the coolant leaking into the wires that messes with the engine is a huge expense but I don’t know how you would even spit that till it’s too late. Anyone have any suggestions for that or anything else I should watch out for?

Like for the coolant would the AC not working as good mean there is a leak there??
Old 08-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Reason I’m asking is the one I test drove today the AC wasn’t working great at all but otherwise was perfect and has a perfect carfax and maintence schedule.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my 2011 4.2 a little over 2 years ago with 59k miles and now have a little over 74k miles. So far I've no major problems, the only things I've done is a couple of oil changes and a battery. I have noticed my rear sun shade stopped working, which I haven't looked into yet. I'd say definitely try out all the electronics and if you can run a VCDS scan of all the computers for faults. The collant leak is covered under warranty, and it's, not real easy to check out your self unless you have a lift.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mazzy730
I bought my 2011 4.2 a little over 2 years ago with 59k miles and now have a little over 74k miles. So far I've no major problems, the only things I've done is a couple of oil changes and a battery. I have noticed my rear sun shade stopped working, which I haven't looked into yet. I'd say definitely try out all the electronics and if you can run a VCDS scan of all the computers for faults. The collant leak is covered under warranty, and it's, not real easy to check out your self unless you have a lift.
Thanks for the reply!

I did run all the electronics yesterday and they worked great. They are going to put more freon in the AC and hopefully thats all it is and then I will probably take it home tonight or tomorrow night to have for a day before making my final decision on it. I am just trying to find out as much information about them before I pull the trigger and also what issues I should look out for.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How often would you guys say you have to replace the rotors or brake pads? And an approximate price on that?
Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default They are gonna fill with freon LOL LOL

Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of refrigerant at walmart, but do not pierce the bottle, you are only using the gauge, check the pressure, if its low then the they can put more in, if it's at a normal or high pressure already then putting more in to get you to buy the car is not fixing the problem. Always when buying a used car check yourself with one of the bottles from walmart then return it because you didnt pierce the can.

I bought a 2012 A8l with 45k in 2015 and only replaced brakes, tires and oil, no problems at all, it's for sale in west chester pa if you want a solid A8L in the PA area. The 4.2 V8 is bulletproof and so is that tranny. Go buy the car you test drove without any worries.

Do yourself a favor and do not test drive an S8 or else you will move heaven and earth to get one as I did but I love my 2015 S8.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
Do yourself a favor and get a bottle of refrigerant at walmart, but do not pierce the bottle, you are only using the gauge, check the pressure, if its low then the they can put more in, if it's at a normal or high pressure already then putting more in to get you to buy the car is not fixing the problem. Always when buying a used car check yourself with one of the bottles from walmart then return it because you didnt pierce the can.

I bought a 2012 A8l with 45k in 2015 and only replaced brakes, tires and oil, no problems at all, it's for sale in west chester pa if you want a solid A8L in the PA area. The 4.2 V8 is bulletproof and so is that tranny. Go buy the car you test drove without any worries.

Do yourself a favor and do not test drive an S8 or else you will move heaven and earth to get one as I did but I love my 2015 S8.

Thanks a lot for the information man, thats a great idea. I just have to figure out where to check the pressure. I have the car for the night till tomorrow so if I can figure out how to do this as soon as possible that would help a ton
Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codydemmel4
Thanks a lot for the information man, thats a great idea. I just have to figure out where to check the pressure. I have the car for the night till tomorrow so if I can figure out how to do this as soon as possible that would help a ton
I PM you my number when you get the car pop the hood, take a picture and send it to me, this is faster than getting gas. You can do it bro.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2011 A8 - need help