A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Size Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by theanimala
So tonight I stopped by my local Costco where I’d like to buy my back tires from. I like to buy from Costco because they have an excellent road hazard warranty without any questions. Anyway, I asked if I could put on the Michelin pilot sport in size 275 40 r 20. They said that since I am raising from 265 to 275 they would need to drop the 40 to a 35. Basically they said the different tire could be no bigger or small than the original tire by 3%. Are they out of their minds?
Yes they are - and all of the people running 275/40/20 tires on the A8 would disagree with them.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

So tonight I stopped by my local Costco where I’d like to buy my back tires from. I like to buy from Costco because they have an excellent road hazard warranty without any questions. Anyway, I asked if I could put on the Michelin pilot sport in size 275 40 r 20. They said that since I am raising from 265 to 275 they would need to drop the 40 to a 35. Basically they said the different tire could be no bigger or small than the original tire by 3%. Are they out of their minds?
Run, don't walk. 275/35-40 is the D3 size. D4 is simply an inch bigger in overall diameter basically.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
Yes they are - and all of the people running 275/40/20 tires on the A8 would disagree with them.
This is your ticket to more options. Much better than the never heard of step child size of 265/40/20.

Plus those damn pirelli all seasons suck, poor tread wear and very noisy especially for such a quiet car. They were half as loud as my studded nokian hakkapelittas, which is insane. I have not tried the revised compound pirelli all seasons in 265/40/20 which supposedly have more noise cancelling....

Just go 275/40/20 and call it a day. Costco should not give you flack if you agree to sign something... I am sure this is not the first time they have seen something like this...

Just a pro tip - Costco does specials on Michelin tires regularly. Right now my local (to Boston) stores are running $70 off a set of 4 Michelin tires plus four corner installation for $0.04. So effectively a savings of $139.96 after mount and balance. Plus some Costco stores offer nitrogen fills!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered my pilot sport a/s 3 from Costco last week, still waiting for them to arrive. Called my local Mavis tire and they have the newer a/s 3 + for less money and in stock. I’m wondering what the differences are and if it would be a mistake to go with the + model. Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ordered my pilot sport a/s 3 from Costco last week, still waiting for them to arrive. Called my local Mavis tire and they have the newer a/s 3 + for less money and in stock. I’m wondering what the differences are and if it would be a mistake to go with the + model. Any thoughts?
AS3+ is tuned better for light snow. It caught my attention when they did it, in that AS2's I had on D3 W12 were almost downright dangerous in snow even though "all season" rated. They also did it to compare more favorably on the snow side to the Conti DWS06.

Actually of more concern might be the manufacturing date on the AS3's. I thought those were just plain gone/superseded. Sometimes though they just forget to update the description--can happen on "DWS" too. But w/ Costco, yep it could be last year's overstock getting cleared...

See link: https://michelinmedia.com/pages/blog...rticle/c/a435/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-11-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
AS3+ is tuned better for light snow. It caught my attention when they did it, in that AS2's I had on D3 W12 were almost downright dangerous in snow even though "all season" rated. They also did it to compare more favorably on the snow side to the Conti DWS06.

Actually of more concern might be the manufacturing date on the AS3's. I thought those were just plain gone/superseded. Sometimes though they just forget to update the description--can happen on "DWS" too. But w/ Costco, yep it could be last year's overstock getting cleared...

See link: https://michelinmedia.com/pages/blog...rticle/c/a435/
Thanks MP! Due to the cost I can confirm that Costco is selling the old tire (at a good price). I’d rather not get the older one as I’m sure when I need to replace one next year after hitting a pothole they won’t be able to source it for weeks. Looks like I will cancel my order and purchase the less expensive one from the Mavis dealer.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

The AS3+ are incredible tires. Nearing a summer tire in regards to grip. Don't expect them to last a ton of miles though... that's par for the course with any ultra-high performance all season. Mine are now more than half worn on my convertible and they were downright dangerous in packed down wet slick snow. But that's compared to usual winter driving with a set of dedicated snow tires that I run from November until April or so...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any impact to the cars warranty if the tire size is changed?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SWelsch
Is there any impact to the cars warranty if the tire size is changed?
Not if you are using any of the listed possibles for starters. In practice, I pull into service for warranty work with my 275/40 20's on the D4 S8 and same on my Q5 Hybrid with a non original as equipped set up and they don't say boo. No reasonable reason to bounce really either. Tires anywhere in the zone are irrelevant to crapped out turbos or really even somewhat adjoining parts like the sway bar links. If you pulled in with racing tires maybe, but then the bust is probably for tracking the car when warranty may say that's a no no.

The one real world watch area is a lease. There I would not do it. On a return they will look at wear and may look to be sure size is exact stock too. The door pressure sticker now lists the size as factory fitted to the car, so also easy for an inspector to catch even if not very hip on the car.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thnx. Ended up with 2 new tires thanks to a pot hole that took out the side wall of my right front. My indy tire shop suggested OE as the the rears still had plenty of tread and they saw no reason to change 4. They mentioned getting 1 shaved tire but I couldn't wait the extra day or 2. So, 2 new shoes on the front. Wondering about possible impact to the quattro system. Slightly different diameters front to back now.

Quick Reply: Tire Size Change