A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shudder

Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HI Guys,

i just wanted to post this, resolution i have for the small vibration studder rumbling while around 1100-1300 rpm.

my brother is a mechanic we spent some time investigating this issue, before i replaced my down pipes, i was not sure it was the issue they look in great condition, and didnt want to replace the nice stainless ones with some generic crap i would have to do once in a while.

while i believe the noise / feeling would be gone once i replace them, i am most certain that it will return,

so we originally thought it would be either downpipes (flex pipes) or transmission mount.

and what we found was that there was too much space between the exhaust mounts ( up above the flex pipes) and the next exhaust mount, while driving the car on the mount, we would brace the exhaust the issue would go away.

so

rather than replace the flex pipes, we made a bracket that would connect the exhaust to the transmission with a belt tensionner to allow a bit of play, results = perfection, no need to change OEM flex pipes. and no more vibration., total cost is about 26$

now we tried to make it as pretty as possible, but who cares really, this issue is solve. almost as if it is a design flaw, as stupid as that sounds.

let me know if anyone has any questions or comments.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MTL-AEight
HI Guys,

i just wanted to post this, resolution i have for the small vibration studder rumbling while around 1100-1300 rpm.

my brother is a mechanic we spent some time investigating this issue, before i replaced my down pipes, i was not sure it was the igreat condition, and didnt want to replace the nice stainless ones with some generic crap i would have to do once in a while.

while i believe the noise / feeling would be gone once i replace them, i am most certain that it will return,

so we originally thought it would be either downpipes (flex pipes) or transmission mount.

and what we found was that there was too much space between the exhaust mounts ( up above the flex pipes) and the next exhaust mount, while driving the car on the mount, we would brace the exhaust the issue would go away.

so

rather than replace the flex pipes, we made a bracket that would connect the exhaust to the transmission with a belt tensionner to allow a bit of play, results = perfection, no need to change OEM flex pipes. and no more vibration., total cost is about 26$

now we tried to make it as pretty as possible, but who cares really, this issue is solve. almost as if it is a design flaw, as stupid as that sounds.

let me know if anyone has any questions or comments.

That's interesting. Did you have to weld the bracket on or its connected by that middle piece that bolts to 2 places?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nermb
That's interesting. Did you have to weld the bracket on or its connected by that middle piece that bolts to 2 places?
i had to weld that bracket to the exhaust the rest is bold on. it has been 4 months since i have done it, the noise / feeling is 100% gone, and i can say that with confidence as i feel that i was really in tune with my car. it is / was the only thing wrong with my car when i bought it, and super annoyed me!

Search this Thread