A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to determine latest maps and mmi firmware

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to determine latest maps and mmi firmware

OK, sorry if this is easily available elsewhere...

I have 2014 A8L NA version.

MMI isversion HN+R_US_AU_P0715
navigation is 8R0060884BD NAR 6.8.2

I've been doing some digging on forums and also on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_...ersion_history
VanDeursen.be - MMI 3G/3GP Systems

It seems that the latest stuff is:

mmi:
8R0906961DL - K_0814 US (A1)
nav:
8R0 051 884 DG 6.13.2

Can anyone confirm?

It also looks like there are part numbers you can order to get at least the maps.

On the MMI, I think the dealer needs to update.

I'd like to update the maps, and also the MMI... since I have a cpo vehicle under warranty, I can probably get the MMI updated on warranty.

The part number for the map seems to indicate $49 from Audi on an SD card.

Greg

Old 11-15-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Elmassian
OK, sorry if this is easily available elsewhere...

I have 2014 A8L NA version.

MMI isversion HN+R_US_AU_P0715
navigation is 8R0060884BD NAR 6.8.2

I've been doing some digging on forums and also on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_...ersion_history
VanDeursen.be - MMI 3G/3GP Systems

It seems that the latest stuff is:

mmi:
8R0906961DL - K_0814 US (A1)
nav:
8R0 051 884 DG 6.13.2

Can anyone confirm?

It also looks like there are part numbers you can order to get at least the maps.

On the MMI, I think the dealer needs to update.

I'd like to update the maps, and also the MMI... since I have a cpo vehicle under warranty, I can probably get the MMI updated on warranty.

The part number for the map seems to indicate $49 from Audi on an SD card.

Greg

So, to be honest, you will probably need to increase your budget about 20x. That is, before like the rest of us you probably give up for any of the hard drive based Audis of the most recent generation or so.

I think there is a 2015 MMI version, and about to be a 2016 one; the one you mention is 2014--0814, as in Aug 2014 if I remember how the number is formatted now for MMI versions.

If you get anywhere w/ a warranty type install of the MMI update without cost to you, you will need to go down the path of something malfunctioning to fit in the TSB parameters on it and within 4/50 warranty period. A longer topic.

On Nav, you may have seen something like an SD card or some such associated with it; I think that may be for if you are going to swap out the MMI hardware unit and are downloading the current data/Nav maps etc to then write to the replacement. But the actual maps are a fair amount more than you mention AFAIK. But the big killer on top of that is it is a dealer install, and typically several hours labor time from what people have posted. Not that they spend that, but elapsed time it takes hooked up.

Call your dealer for better $ (...$$) info. I know from talking to Audi USA Parts there is no DIY updating to Nav you can do. You can buy the software/license from someone like them, but a local dealer still needs to do the physical install for a further labor charge--if they will do it that way rather than their own parts dept/charge. Much easier on my DVD based D3 where you just bought a Nav disc when you wanted and you buy the MMI updates on CD from dealer for $20-30.

Finally, one piece to the puzzle I don't know (yet) is if the 2015 MMI version will in turn allow remote downloading of Nav updates, which apparently come off the Audi USA site somewhere. I saw a post along those lines on C7 board, but IIRC they noted you had to be on at least the 2015 MMI release. In due course I will be headed that direction and know more, but have yet to bring my 2015 CPO S8 in for any (minor) warranty type items.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-15-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you sir!

I will probably visit the dealer to find out. The MMI update has been done for a few people by bringing to their attention various bugs that caused the dealer to do the MMI update under warranty.

The nav database may not really be worth it, since I have a sim and google maps running now.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Thank you sir!

I will probably visit the dealer to find out. The MMI update has been done for a few people by bringing to their attention various bugs that caused the dealer to do the MMI update under warranty.

The nav database may not really be worth it, since I have a sim and google maps running now.

Thanks,

Greg
Yep, on the D3 we learned the magic code words for TSB based MMI updates like "it loses my surround sound overnight." The TSB for the current gen MMI bugs gives some pointers, one or two of which I have actually seen over the months with my S8. I definitely had one of the ones applicable to a 2013 Q5 when they did an update on that (similar) system for me--before I even knew a TSB was out.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have the tsb's at hand, I heard that "when leaving a 2G area, back to a 3G area, the car stays in 2G"... any help is appreciated.

I do have the tsb 91 13 82 2028141/3 on how to do the updates, and interestingly enough the key sequences for a screenshot capture. Looks like one update is done from DVD and another from the SD.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Elmassian; 11-15-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Trying to figure out the same thing. Lot's of info out there for EU countries but having trouble finding the files for NA cars. It seems there is software out there to activate maps and MMI updates. Maybe if we can find the right part#'s to order the software we can then activate it ourselves. I would rather buy the right software from Audi vs. downloading something that might brick my MMI. I'm going to ask Audipartsonline in their recent thread and see if they can come up with part#s.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have that TSB that gives you the step by step on doing the updates? I have not gone through it completely, but it looks like that and VCDS to reset a couple of things is all you need, besides the updates themselves. I'll email it to you if you want, I found it by going through and finding a site for TSBs and went through them all for my car... downloaded about 70 of them... happy to email it to you if interested.

Also, that part number from Audi and related ones, there is one that is a map update, and another is activation... prices $49... so there's something there.. heck for $49 I just may order one and see what I get!

Greg
Old 11-16-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Greg,
I would love to read it! Please send it on over. If we are only talking $49 I think I would also be happy to take the risk.

From what I've read on the EU forums the activation is simply a code generated based on the MAC address. Someone figured out the algorithm and wrote a code generator. But if I can pay $50 for activation I would do that. I just don't want to pay my dealer a grand to do it. Plus I just like doing things myself.

I'll PM you my email address unless you just want to post the file here?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2016, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't do pm's too many forums ha ha! (google my name)

just email me greg@elmassian.com and I'll email back.

I need to find the link for the TSB's

Also, I've been putting the stuff I have learned on my web site:
Audi A8L

This is my electronic note pad, and way to share with others, note there are 4 sub pages, links at top of page.

Greg
Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, I've been putting the stuff I have learned on my web site:
Audi A8L

This is my electronic note pad, and way to share with others, note there are 4 sub pages, links at top of page.

Greg
Some very interesting stuff on there...

Quick Reply: Trying to determine latest maps and mmi firmware