A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB / Jukebox

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default USB / Jukebox

I have a flash drive with music that I would like to import to the jukebox. How is this best accomplished? The import tab in the jukebox has 2 USB options that are "greyed" out and I can't locate a USB drive anywhere. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get a dongle from Audi that plugs into the "iPod port" and turns it into a USB reader.
Not certain if you can import from there (can't with an iPod), so someone else would need to chime in on whether that's worth your hundred bucks or so.

By far the easiest way is to get an SD card, use your computer to copy your USB stick to that, and then import from there.

John
Old 09-02-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaclav
You can get a dongle from Audi that plugs into the "iPod port" and turns it into a USB reader.
Not certain if you can import from there (can't with an iPod), so someone else would need to chime in on whether that's worth your hundred bucks or so.

By far the easiest way is to get an SD card, use your computer to copy your USB stick to that, and then import from there.

John
Seriously?! I was looking for a USB port the other night, but couldn't find it and chalked it up to being dark and unfamiliar with where it'd be. Sub $20k rental cars these days have at least a single USB port....how can a $100k luxo car require you to buy an additional dongle?

If that's the case, I know what you're referring to....however my dongle is for legacy 30pin Apple products which doesn't help me charge my current gen Apple products. I wish these german engineers would've evoked more thought leadership when designing their flagship sedan and equipped it with universally accepted ports like USB or micro-USB at least. Having to buy a specific dongle for each use case is ridiculous and a bit insulting.

Last edited by The_Capt; 09-02-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

They offer the SD card as the universal source, which is fine by me. The idea behind a dongle is to minimize clutter by having one plug able to service multiple inputs, depending on your specific need. It's a luxury car with a base price over 80k, with many settling around the 100k mark. What's another $50 for an adapter?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
They offer the SD card as the universal source, which is fine by me. The idea behind a dongle is to minimize clutter by having one plug able to service multiple inputs, depending on your specific need. It's a luxury car with a base price over 80k, with many settling around the 100k mark. What's another $50 for an adapter?
We'll choose to disagree then. I dislike being nickel'd and dime'd....irrespective of cost of the dongle. I understand there are option packages for the car and they vary in options it'll add to the basic equipment, but the need to buy a USB dongle just puzzles me.

Missing USB ports as part of the standard equipment when most others cars that are waaaay cheaper have USB ports....1st world problem, yea I get it. Just sayin'.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why not just keep your music on a large SD card and avoid the hard drive copy step altogether? I did that with my previous car (it was so tedious loading the hard drive) so I just moved my SD card from the old car to my new S8.

I see the album/track/artist names when I play music from the SD source -- Are things different (better/worse) if played from the hard drive?
Old 09-02-2015, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey94025
Why not just keep your music on a large SD card and avoid the hard drive copy step altogether? I did that with my previous car (it was so tedious loading the hard drive) so I just moved my SD card from the old car to my new S8.

I see the album/track/artist names when I play music from the SD source -- Are things different (better/worse) if played from the hard drive?
There are a couple of advantages to importing music from an SD card to the Jukebox. The SD card can only randomize songs within an album, while the Jukebox will randomize all songs globally. Also, the Jukebox has the coverflow feature where you can select albums by their cover art. I use the Jukebox for my favorite artists and SD cards for everything else.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There are a couple of advantages to importing music from an SD card to the Jukebox. The SD card can only randomize songs within an album, while the Jukebox will randomize all songs globally. Also, the Jukebox has the coverflow feature where you can select albums by their cover art. I use the Jukebox for my favorite artists and SD cards for everything else.
I'm currently randomizing songs across all albums on my SD card. I'm not sure how but can get the details... :-)
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Maybe the 2015 S8 is different than MY2012/2013 C7s.

EDIT: I guess not. See post #13.

Last edited by snagitseven; 09-04-2015 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW, I just opted to get a 30pin to lightning adapter from Best Buy....and now enjoy phone charging, music scrolling from the steering wheel, and full menu options for my music library.

Audi dealer wanted $90 for the lightning dongle, and Best Buy matched Amazon at $35 for the adapter. I'm staving off being a curmudgeon as long as I can. ;-)

Quick Reply: USB / Jukebox