A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8

Okay, reappearing for another mod of the week. People grumble about the trunk (boot) open/close, especially that you cannot close it with the remote key fob. Tested and confirmed to work on my 2015 D4 S8. It easily worked to 75 ft./25m line of sight with quick final check. I have tested door locking out to a couple hundred feet (unobstructed) in the past, so likely the same. I was using the current version of VCDS software, on my antique XP laptop as usual.

Historically you had to buy a $$ Kufatec module to implement the close function for the remote fob. I never got there on my D3 even 10 years in. I played with VCDS mod a few weeks ago and I had the trunk closing, but I was not satisfied. As with my other recent mod threads, I started from a C7 A6/S6/A7/S7/RS7 long thread about lots of mods, some of which are well known, some not, some that work, others that don't seem to. I tried to clean up any newer ones I have run with and make sure they worked as intended on D4. The first implementation here seemed a bit finnicky; hence I held off posting it. It seemed like I had to hold remote button for whole close cycle. Sort of a hassle if it comes to that way; I also needed to test the other ways opening works--kick function and inside door switch. On Try #2 and then #3 today I fine tuned it to get to right settings--for me anyway. Final settings of choice covered here.

Here is where it comes out:
1. Trunk opens on one fairly brief squeeze of remote. You don't keep holding remote button down during open cycle. Works from very long distances.
2. Trunk closes the same way. One fairly brief squeeze. From distance too!
3. If you press remote again during opening cycle it stops fairly quickly. Press again and it opens rest of way. If instead you press remote a second time during closing cycle it stops, but then if you press it again it reopens. Seems common sense in case you notice an obstruction, stop it and then need to get open to fix problem.
4. Open close function for trunk is independent but coordinated with door locking function. So, if you open or close trunk with car already unlocked, car stays unlocked. If you open trunk with car locked it works, and then when you close it car chirps and car is locked again. I liked that too.
5. Kick open feature with foot continues to work for trunk opening. Does not work (at least for me) for close. But frankly that function has been finnicky for me since the first time I tried it--and had to read manual again. Now with key remote implemented nicely both ways and at distance, that's my preferred choice. Click lock car button, then click trunk close button while walking away. Done and intuitive.
6. Inside switch for trunk on drivers door still opens it but does not close. BUT, remote key fob functions still work, so you can close trunk now via the fob while sitting inside car. You can't see back there on an unobstructed basis (and a big reason Audi doesn't implement remote close stuff), so as usual be careful.
The "how to" follows. See some screen shots below for big picture.
Close your trunk remotely using your key fob (and retain the opening feature)

1. Go to Module 46-Central Conv[enience], Coding, Long Coding Helper and ensure byte two, bit two is ticked that says "Comfort operation: Remote control active". This is just a preliminary step and already is probably correct given std. features on a D4, at least the U.S. well equipped ones. Assuming it is in order, just back out with Go Back button. For ALL coding you do alter, always capture a "before" scan or simple screen shot, in case something goes seriously wrong and you need to restore prior coding. As in, BTDT.

2. Then go to module 6D-Trunk Elect[rics]. This is where the real changes occur. Select Security Access and enter security code 12345 (isn't that original!!) Click Do it! See screen shot below.

3. Now back up to main screen while still in Module 6D-Trunk Elect. Click Adaptation. Use mouse to open pull down menu under Channel right near top of Adaptation window. When you do, you will see a very long list of choices. Goes on for over a full screen. Pictures of all of it below. Only what is in first screen/page/picture is important here. Notice the lines that have the word "Activation" at start of text for each one. Eight lines total like that. My screen shot and cursor was sitting on the very last of the eight as pictured in second picture below. Open each one by selecting from the Channel pull down menu. You see one I have selected and opened in the fourth shot below. Some may say active, others not active. Just stay with me on this to short cut the instructions. Be sure the first 6 lines all say active when you are done, and that the last two (##7 and 8 in list) referencing the "Tap" function for the remote key say not active. To change any one of the eight Channels selected, go to the New value pull down box. Use the right hand down arrow to expose it and select active (for first 6) or not active (for last 2). Click Do It! for any you need to change. The last two shots below show that in progress for one of the first six where I flipped it to active. Make sure you hit and review all 8 lines; double check if needed. When all done keep hitting Go Back until you are out and done.
To explain more and what I ran into in final testing: the two lines you will select not active for (##7-8) are the ones where you seem to have to keep squeezing remote to make trunk keep moving open or closed. I found that just gets it goofed up. I often had the same reaction when it was enabled for the open only function before I modded. It became more obvious here for closing when I first implemented it and was less than impressed when I seemed to have to keep squeezing remote button while it closed. Or it would choke if I let off and open again. Instead, with this it is just one click and as soon as you sense it operating either close or open let off. Wth those last two enabled (active), it gets finnicky on me and sometimes does function correctly but other times seems to think I am cancelling it and want to stop or reverse. Range also seemed erratic and shorter that way.

I have not played with the other long list of choices in the Channel field, but reviewing them didn't see anything super obvious worth changing. Trunk already seems to open about the most it can, reaction times and speed decent, etc. So if not broken, I elected not to play further and risk anything.

Enjoy your upgraded trunk!
Attached Thumbnails VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-14.jpg   VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-13.jpg   VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-12.jpg   VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-16.jpg   VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8-fullsizerender-15.jpg  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jerWim11 (05-13-2020)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brilliant. Does this work for earlier D4 models. I have a 2011.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Try it and find out! Let us know. I'm going to add this to the list, and link this thread as usual. Thank you again, for your continued efforts!
jerWim11 (05-13-2020)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kungfupanda11
Brilliant. Does this work for earlier D4 models. I have a 2011.
No real idea. I specified the car and software rev and all I used. Others need to try on theirs as desired. You can look at your module rev level against mine when shown in pics, etc. No changes I really have heard of in trunk electronics though. The instrument related ones seem to be the more picky on years, or of course things where the equipment just wasn't there or have same general features in an earlier year.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-10-2017 at 07:06 AM.
jerWim11 (05-13-2020)
Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great stuff, I will give it a try later today.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And I did, works just fine on a 2010 model which would be a 2011 model for those of you in the US.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

great idea! I just figured out that you can close the trunk from inside the car if you hold the button in the up position long enough.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is perfect! Thanks for the instructions. Works great on my 14.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im a little suprised ... Because mine closes via long press from remote or car interior button.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Silver_Solid
Im a little suprised ... Because mine closes via long press from remote or car interior button.
You don't say your location in sig or avatar. Non US maybe? Otherwise and if not new, could be that a prior owner already modded it.

Quick Reply: VCDS Mod for Trunk (Boot) Remote Open AND Close D4 A8 S8