A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Mods for Front Seats D4 A8 S8: heating stepdown timer & massage time + intensity

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I called Ross-Tech to see if they had any suggestions. They seem to believe it is a module revision thing. As if some cars have a certain module type that allow this type of change and others do not insinuating it is not MMI but the actual hardware coding on the control module.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 06-05-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
I called Ross-Tech to see if they had any suggestions. They seem to believe it is a module revision thing. As if some cars have a certain module type that a allow this type of change and other do not insinuating it is not MMI but the actual hardware coding on the control module.
I wonder if it makes a difference if the engine is running or if just the ignition is on?
Old 06-05-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

For last two replies:

I will locate my module version and post in due course.

I always do VCDS coding with key in on position (warning lights in inst. panel) but car not started.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
For last two replies:

I will locate my module version and post in due course.

I always do VCDS coding with key in on position (warning lights in inst. panel) but car not started.
agree, just wondering if some of the guys have the car running. Electronics are finicky that way
Old 06-05-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only tried it with the key in accessory position. I started a thread over at ross-tech to see about getting a definitive answer.

A8 D4 Can't Change Massage Duration
Old 07-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A8 d3 massage intensity

3. The other I tried was increasing the intensity of the massage function—more oomph if you will. From having it in the D3, already better dialed up (and lots more massage types) in D4, but what the heck, more is better. I focused only on the highest setting (5), but all could be calibrated.
Module 88 (Multicont. Seat Driver) OR its sister Module 89 (Multicont. Seat Pass.) -> Adaptation -> drop down box select the option “Intensity level 5 of massage function”. Enter a new value. Do It!
The default is 82 %. I entered 100% and tested it to confirm working. At 100% it does make more noise, which was most obvious when using VCDS when I am parked and shut off everything I can including MMI screen, tunes and HVAC. I drove it and found you can’t hear anything by freeway type speeds, and only when idling at a stop light with no tunes on and modest HVAC do you hear anything noticeable--faintly in the background as it cycles. I backed it off on a second pass to 90% which took some of the incremental background noise out of it even in quiet/idle type scenarios. Probably why factory maxed at 82%. Not a dramatic increase intensity by any means just to manage expectations. For further fine tuning, I may go into a combination of both level 4 and level 5, maybe bumping 4 to approx. 80 and 5 to 100 for freeway type use. Right now I basically always have it on 5 in use anyway, so might as well get a couple of more intensive choices that straddle the running/background noise condition variables.

See fifth picture for basic VCDS screen for this intensity change.
In pull down menu, I also noticed the choice for Speed level of the massage function. I elected not to play with that since the basic rhythm seems fine. But, since there are 5 choices here as well as for the intensity, a lot more customization could be done in theory, including slower and faster but using the 5 choices all just focused on ones at a few choices of higher general intensities.

I'd like to increase the massage function intensity on my 2005 A8 D3 but can't seem to locate module 88 or 89. I believe my module number is 36?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by hudsonparker14
I'd like to increase the massage function intensity on my 2005 A8 D3 but can't seem to locate module 88 or 89. I believe my module number is 36?
Post was for D4. I had massage in my D3 but don't think there was any way to change intensity; never came across anything in VCDS. D4 controls differ in that there is both type of massage and intensity choice.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post was for D4. I had massage in my D3 but don't think there was any way to change intensity; never came across anything in VCDS. D4 controls differ in that there is both type of massage and intensity choice.

makes no sense as guys with earlier d4s have been able to do this, I have a 16' and can not change the massage intensity nor time.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Progress?

I am interested in whether Ross-Tech or anyone else has solved the issue of changing the seat massage duration for the A8 (D4). I receive the same error message as Lennon31987 and others. I have a newly purchased cable from Ross-Tech along with the latest version of the VCDS software. I truly hope a solution is somewhere I haven't yet found as a 10 minute massage just won't do. LOL...who gets a massage while driving to work? Audi A8 owners do!!!
Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

At the risk of taking abuse for using OBD11, I used that to change the time setting on my massage seats with no problem. Granted it was done some time ago. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on whether or not they've been successful using that device.

Quick Reply: VCDS Mods for Front Seats D4 A8 S8: heating stepdown timer & massage time + intensity