A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VCDS Mods for Front Seats D4 A8 S8: heating stepdown timer & massage time + intensity

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWelsch
At the risk of taking abuse for using OBD11, I used that to change the time setting on my massage seats with no problem. Granted it was done some time ago. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on whether or not they've been successful using that device.
Would you please identify the vehicle? Was it a D4 or earlier version? When did you make the change?
Anyone else successfully change the seat massage duration for an A8 (D4)?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by knicksboss

Anyone else successfully change the seat massage duration for an A8 (D4)?
Have you read the thread to answer your question...or even its title?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2015 A8L 3.0. Changed the duration about 18 months ago. Same steps outlined on this board
Old 04-18-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Really?? I absolutely read the thread to the point where I saw others have identified having the same problems--seat massage duration not changing. What I haven't seen in the thread was anyone having a solution other than yourself and a few others. If you have read the thread from others, you will see that most with the problem have A8 (D4) versions, not the D3 you were successful with.

In a community where we should be working at helping each other, your reply doesn't seem helpful. if you believe the answer resides within the post, please identify the specific thread number(s) and I'll read again.

Here are my specs:
2015 A8L using VCDS s/w version 18.2
I will post screen shots of the failed attempt (if there is a solution within the post).
Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Really?? I absolutely read the thread to the point where I saw others have identified having the same problems--seat massage duration not changing. What I haven't seen in the thread was anyone having a solution other than yourself and a few others. If you have read the thread from others, you will see that most with the problem have A8 (D4) versions, not the D3 you were successful with.

In a community where we should be working at helping each other, your reply doesn't seem helpful. if you believe the answer resides within the post, please identify the specific thread number(s) and I'll read again.

Here are my specs:
2015 A8L using VCDS s/w version 18.2
I will post screen shots of the failed attempt (if there is a solution within the post).

Wow. Read it yet again I guess. Slow down? Maybe get off what ever the device is you may be using to a proper screen? Meantime take your response (with three cumulative posts...) and turn it on its head about attitude and too quick on the draw.

Specifics: where are you seeing the issue with my car not being a D4? D4, 2015 S8. For the chapter and verse you want, opening words of my post #1 that starts the whole thread, besides that it is also plain as day in the thread title it is a D4: "Here are a set of seat related VCDS mods for the D4 A8 and S8 I am documenting, both for the heating as well as the massage feature. The latter of course is for those who have the massage seats. All tested and successfully implemented without any drama on my 2015 D4 S8. ..." See paragraph 1...

I take the time to figure it out, gather up the info and screen shots and post the info in the first place. But then even when questioned with almost no context or details in your first replies, you miss things again. Good luck with that approach getting help from folks in the future. Peeing in the proverbial punch bowl here, given I was the thread author. Yes to be very clear, I expect others to do their homework too; boards don't function long term with quality info if it is all takers and no givers. For folks in general, I am also not tech support for possible VCDS or year to year or configurations differences among D4's. It worked on mine, and I documented it--frankly about as good as the posts and titles get by year, body, etc. The VCDS version (now superceded) I used is also in the screen shots (rare among VCDS mod posts BTW), and my cable is fully licensed. Relative to mine, various of the issues noted in the thread are sometimes other years. In many cases I have no idea in the responses if folks are using a Ross-Tech licensed cable or trying the e Bay knockoffs with the "free" version. In some I wonder at times if folks are trying to take "better" and make it "great" by setting the revised parameters too high. It could be there are controller changes too, but in the first post the screen shots also actually allow members to cross check their controller revision levels (letter suffix at end of part #'s) against mine, at least on the hardware side.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-18-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

+1.

Have found this forum to be amazingly helpful
Old 04-18-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Wow. Read it AGAIN. Slow down; maybe get off what ever the device is you may be using to a proper screen? Take your response (with three cumulative posts...) and just turn it on its head about attitude and too quick on the draw.

Where are you seeing the issue with my car not being a D4? D4, 2015 S8. For the chapter and verse you want, opening words of my post #1 that opens the whole thread, besides that it is also plain as day in the thread title it is a D4: "Here are a set of seat related VCDS mods for the D4 A8 and S8 I am documenting, both for the heating as well as the massage feature. The latter of course is for those who have the massage seats. All tested and successfully implemented without any drama on my 2015 D4 S8. ..." See paragraph 1...

I take the time to figure it out and post the info in the first place, but then folks like you come along and even when questioned, you miss it again. Good luck with that approach getting help from folks in the future. Peeing in the proverbial punch bowl here, given I was the thread author. Yes to be very clear, I expect others to do their homework too; boards don't function long term with quality info if it is all takers and no givers. For folks in general, I am also not tech support for possible VCDS or year to year or configurations differences among D4's. It worked on mine, and I documented it--frankly about as good as the posts and titles get by year, body, etc. The VCDS version (now superceded) I used is also in the screen shots (rare among VCDS mod posts BTW), and my cable is fully licensed. Relative to mine, various of the issues noted in the thread are sometimes other years, and in many cases I have no idea in the responses if folks are using a Ross-Tech licensed cable or trying the e Bay knockoffs with the "free" version.

As one other suggestion--basic to AW--try setting your display options to see the beginning of the thread first if it isn't already. Or at least, start reading from there if you are new to the thread or AW. Seems like you may be lost in the weeds dozens of responses later. But on subject matter documenting posts of course the definitive information is typically in post 1, not in reply 30+.
A couple points of clarification.
1. I truly apologize for intimating you don't have an understanding of my issue. I attributed you having a D3 version based on the 'footnote'-- Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12. When I replied, I didn't realize your actual vehicle was within the post title. (shame on me for that) btw: It's the title that drew me to reading the details initially.
2. I read from thread 1 as that's where I was able to follow your well-crafted instructions.
3. One of my errors was missing the comments about MMI version. I will check that later today and hope it's one having problems and have Audi correct that.

While I don't think you were suggesting I'm using a knock-off cable from eBay or elsewhere, I just want to be clear that I have a licensed cable purchased directly from Ross-Tech.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

A couple points of clarification.
1. I truly apologize for intimating you don't have an understanding of my issue. I attributed you having a D3 version based on the 'footnote'-- Current #1: '06 D3 A8L W12. When I replied, I didn't realize your actual vehicle was within the post title. (shame on me for that) btw: It's the title that drew me to reading the details initially.
2. I read from thread 1 as that's where I was able to follow your well-crafted instructions.
3. One of my errors was missing the comments about MMI version. I will check that later today and hope it's one having problems and have Audi correct that.

While I don't think you were suggesting I'm using a knock-off cable from eBay or elsewhere, I just want to be clear that I have a licensed cable purchased directly from Ross-Tech.
Got it. Thanks. See end of prior response I edited post- your reply in last paragraph about also reviewing specific time parameters chosen and the hardware revision levels as other possible review areas.

Also, when I did mod my 2015, it was on the original as shipped MMI version IIRC. I got the dealer to update MMI late last summer based on the Audi TSB dealing with Nav getting lost or otherwise choking. It has other mostly minor tweaks too, but those symptoms qualify for the update. I have not tried to "do the mod again" as it were with the revised MMI version level, but from at least the more obvious timer function mod that is objectively trackable has stuck. From D 4 (and Q5) board experience, I think very few have had their MMI software updated post delivery. It has basically gotten to be dealer only since the updates went to downloaded flash instead of parts counter CD's like D3 era was. Roughly the 2016's and up should have the newer version. Not sure how it broke in 2015; my build is fairly early.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-18-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is '13 S8 (purchased used recently), and I couldn't update the duration, it's the same error as outside of permitted range or something. I am not too concerned about it as it kind of acts as a 10min reminder of how long I have been driving/stuck in traffic
I could check again for MMI version tonight.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nictven
Mine is '13 S8 (purchased used recently), and I couldn't update the duration, it's the same error as outside of permitted range or something. I am not too concerned about it as it kind of acts as a 10min reminder of how long I have been driving/stuck in traffic
I could check again for MMI version tonight.
I still never got mine to work on my 2011 D4, and my thread over at RossTech is going on a year unanswered.

Quick Reply: VCDS Mods for Front Seats D4 A8 S8: heating stepdown timer & massage time + intensity