AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   ventilated seats (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/ventilated-seats-2866176/)

Audiseeker 05-18-2014 05:38 AM

ventilated seats

I've got this option (the cross stitched seats--with massage etc etc). Is one supposed to "feel" something when this feature is on? I don't feel a thing. Have all 3 of the blue LED's activated on the control panel

The Audi dealer guy says that's correct--you don't feel anything)

so what's the point of this feature? (how does it do what it says it does?)

thanks Dave

samthemana8 05-18-2014 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Audiseeker (Post 24569648)
I've got this option (the cross stitched seats--with massage etc etc). Is one supposed to "feel" something when this feature is on? I don't feel a thing. Have all 3 of the blue LED's activated on the control panel

thanks Dave

Its a light breeze type of cool, not AC blowing up your back, after 1-2 minutes of its being on if you pay attention you should notice the soft cooling effect, if you do not at all it might not be working properly.

jakematic 05-18-2014 06:08 AM

Yep, very subtle.
If it's ultra quiet around you, you can hear the fan.

The first boiling hot humid day you will definitely notice it :)

MP4.2+6.0 05-18-2014 08:03 AM

Sounds like Audi hasn't changed it...

Originally Posted by Audiseeker (Post 24569648)

thanks Dave

Sounds like Audi hasn't changed it. It's not the Lexus or other brand strong fan motor stuff. On the D3, it's a red numeral from 1-6, but same idea. In summer I usually leave it at about 4. As others have said, very subtle. It mostly just keeps the seat not feeling like it is heating up like a blanket from body heat (which my 2013 Q5 without it does), and keeps your shirt from getting sweaty when it gets pretty warm.

jakematic 05-18-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 24569682)
keeps your shirt from getting sweaty when it gets pretty warm.

Exactly. You arrive to meetings looking professional instead of wet and wrinkled.
It's a pushbutton now with 3 levels.
Mine is one year round except for the very coldest of days when I switch to heated seats.

kgd_007 05-18-2014 07:01 PM

Mine is the same, often wonder if it is working especially on hot days. If the car was already cool they do a good job of keeping the seat from getting warm when you are sitting in it but if the car (seat) is hot it is really hard to tell they are working.

Good timing on your question as I was going to take it to the dealer to look at them. I can hear the fan with the car off and can feel a little cool air once the seat and car cool down. Not sure why they didn't put a bigger fan in to help when the car has sat in the sun. I would take some noise over a really hot seat. We could have turned the fan down to the high setting we have now once it cools a bit if you want it quiet.

Audiseeker 05-19-2014 05:12 AM

we are finally going to approach 90 here (St Louis) this week--so maybe I'll feel some effect.
thanks to all

Lazydog 05-19-2014 07:03 AM

I definitely feel a difference. I am by no means a summer person. I like the cold or cool. :)
If the AC is blowing on the floor then the seats should pick this up and blow it thou the seat. It does with my car. On a hot day it will take a little time but the seat will become cooler as time goes on.

jakematic 05-19-2014 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lazydog (Post 24569900)
If the AC is blowing on the floor then the seats should pick this up

Excellent point I didn't think about.
I have the temperature of the floor set to the coldest setting in MMI, and that could make a difference.

Not a summer person either and despise having sweaty feet :)

Seaclav 05-19-2014 12:26 PM

Tun on the AC, direct it down...

Originally Posted by Lazydog (Post 24569900)
If the AC is blowing on the floor then the seats should pick this up and blow it thou the seat. It does with my car. On a hot day it will take a little time but the seat will become cooler as time goes on.

This is definitely the key - We've just gotten through our first few hot days here in the Pacific Northwest (well, hot for us...probably temperate for the rest of you!) so I've been using the fans a lot in the last week or so. If the air under your seat is hot, you won't notice much as you're just getting that air on your back... If you make the air under the seat cool, it's very noticeable.

Compared to my old D3, it seems to me to be a much stronger cooling effect...but then I was never entirely sure the fans worked on my D3, so not too big a challenge to be better.