A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voice Recognition

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Recognition

Hows your experience been with Audi's voice recognition system? Mine has been terrible. It won't recognize cities or street names, has absolutely no fuzzy search logic, e.g., a contact filed as "cafe, china" can't be found with the terms "china cafe" or even "china" Siri on my iPhone is much superior as is my Android tablet. I've gone through the voice recognition training on the system but that hasn't helped. I was wondering how the rest of the Audi owners were fairing. Would appreciate any feedback you have.

DB
Old 09-15-2012, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It works well most of the time for me - except when trying to demo it to a passenger
Surprised mine hasn't learned a slew of new curse words because it flat out refuses to function when my brother is in the vehicle.

In the South it's nearly impossible to get it to navigate to some cities.
After manually entering Albermarle [Ahl-buh-marl] I discovered it thinks it is AlbeR-Mar-LEE
Some of the towns near the coast are a lost cause.

Online destinations are fairly accurate, but it takes forever to bring up the list.

Contacts are hit and miss for me.
Many of the numbers in my phone have only a first name, last name, or a nickname and that seems to confuse it.

The rest of the voice functions work well but I think I need to re-train mine since I was getting over a cold when I took delivery.

It cracks me up when asking "Station 70's" and it replies "Channel SevennnnDeeeeeees"

Watching the Audi Connect ads on YouTube on an A7 makes me think it's been updated some because it sounded clearer/cleaner than mine.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used it on a 2013 A8 test drive and it worked great,really seemed to pick it up quick, and never messed up, V/r, Tim.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

No trouble (well only rarely) with mine. So well, in fact, that I find it far faster by voice input than trying to enter destinations via the Touch Control Panel and the Control ****. I did re-do the Voice Training Module at one point and it seems to have worked well since.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorharrison
I did re-do the Voice Training Module at one point and it seems to have worked well since.
Will retrain mine some time without my "Bea Arthur morning voice" and see if it improves. THanks.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The voice recognition in the A8 is one of the best features. I am always amazed (as are my passengers) when it accurately recognizes the complete destination and fills it in properly. I did do the voice training, but it was good before that also.

The voice feature I use most often is to call people on my bluetooth-connected iPhone. I hit the button and say "call so-and-so" and it works great nearly every time.