A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm up time

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the 35C+ from May through September (including 30C+ at night) that I would want to swap. And the accent, the absolutely terrible drivers and a few more things. Plus, we've had a lot of flooding here recently, so the weather is all relative

I hope you figure out the heat issues. I remember my D2 having some stuck A/C air direction flaps that prevented air from getting into the cabin. Long time ago though, plus a different model. Still, it may be worth investigating down that route ...

The Diesels are just so damn thermally efficient now that they don't produce sufficient heat for all the different areas of the car where it's needed ...

Originally Posted by davey_b
Thanks for that link, gives some good info about settings, I'll try them tomorrow morning.

Not quite sure why you're jealous of our freezing temperatures, I'll happily swap you for 24oC if you want 😁
Old 10-30-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
It's the 35C+ from May through September (including 30C+ at night) that I would want to swap. And the accent, the absolutely terrible drivers and a few more things. Plus, we've had a lot of flooding here recently, so the weather is all relative

I hope you figure out the heat issues. I remember my D2 having some stuck A/C air direction flaps that prevented air from getting into the cabin. Long time ago though, plus a different model. Still, it may be worth investigating down that route ...

The Diesels are just so damn thermally efficient now that they don't produce sufficient heat for all the different areas of the car where it's needed ...
Aye when you put the weather in that context you can keep it 😂

Drove home there and tried manual settings and it seemed better but wasn't the best test as it was about 8oC outside, car wasn't totally cold and I was boiling from being at the gym. I'll test it out in the morning and report back 👍
Old 10-30-2018, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
I had a wee look this morning in the MMI and there was a setting for auxiliary heating and it could either be set to auto or off, mine was set to auto.

Any thoughts on how I'd tell if I have this supplemental (resistance) heating? Do you mean that cars with those tend to warm up slower or that they have this extra heating because they warm up slower?
I don't believe you'd have the entry in the MMI system if you didn't have the extra heater. I know in our car it provides significant heat within 60 seconds or so. I can hear a relay click on when it switches.

Yes, it seems to be fitted to the diesels and the 4 cylinder gas lumps....engines that are slow to heat up.

We've had a couple of 4 cylinder TDIs....those are brutal in terms of cabin heat on truly cold days.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

UPDATE

So it was 4.5oC this morning in grey and damp southern Scotland this morning. Car had been sitting out overnight so all components would have been at ambient temperature. Started the car and switched the heating out of auto, set temperature to hi, fan to full and had it blow air to feet and body/face and then drove off. After once again having to deal with juniors tablet because "minecraft isn't working dad, can you fix it" (quiet country road) I noticed after about 90 seconds it was blowing air that certainly had a bit of heat in it. Wasn't hot but certainly was being heated by something. After about 3 minutes it was blowing nice and toasty heat and after about 5 minutes I had to turn it down.

So the summary is the auto setting is crap for warming the cabin up and go manual and it should be fine within 5 minutes or less. Thanks for all your help on this one gents.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:25 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Success! A Toast to being toasty! In 2° or 10° C or F you can now ward off winter's chill in style.
P.S.> are you using WIndows? alt+0176 will give you the ° sign.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2017 S8 Plus and I'm experiencing a similar issue with my warm up time for interior heat. Where in the MMI system would I find the adjustment if there, and where in the owner's manual is this optional feature discussed? Thx.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by audirb
I have a 2017 S8 Plus and I'm experiencing a similar issue with my warm up time for interior heat. Where in the MMI system would I find the adjustment if there, and where in the owner's manual is this optional feature discussed? Thx.
Feature does not exist in my USA spec 2015 S8, having checked again last time the thread was in play. But then mine also warms up as expected and generally fine. SF Bay Area is mild weather of course, but also fine in very cold Tahoe alpine winter environments.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's an option for any version of the 8 series in the US, it should appear somewhere in the owner's manual - does anyone know where this is shown? Thx.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Feature does not exist in my USA spec 2015 S8, having checked again last time the thread was in play. But then mine also warms up as expected and generally fine. SF Bay Area is mild weather of course, but also fine in very cold Tahoe alpine winter environments.
It’s there, if this is what everyone is looking for (see below pic I just took in my A8). Turn the temp control dials all the way to right to increase temp setting—goes from numerical values to “HI”, maximum warmth. Turn control dials all the way in opposite direction gets you to “LOW”, max cooling. Have never used the max warmth HI setting, since my car also warms up quickly in cold temps.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-11-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L

It’s there, if this is what everyone is looking for (see below pic I just took in my A8). Turn the temp control dials all the way to right to increase temp setting—goes from numerical values to “HI”, maximum warmth. Turn control dials all the way in opposite direction gets you to “LOW”, max cooling. Have never used the max warmth HI setting, since my car also warms up quickly in cold temps.

Thanks, yes I know about those, but other replies are referring to a further heat boost function. On D3 A8 + S8 in USA spec they had standard electrical heater boosters in the rear ducts. On 99.9% of all VCDS scans you see for a ten year old one, they are burned out--probably backed out of D4 as unreliable and more manufacturing + warranty cost. There is a further heat function too of some type that has an MMI related on/off type select feature I was mentioning. It is described as supplemental heating. IIRC it is in our Q5 Hybrid--which makes sense for when engine switches off and it's cold.

Quick Reply: Warm up time