A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, the dreaded 1K/3K rpm vibration finally reared it’s ugly head on my car 😣

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:43 AM

Received 155 Likes on 112 Posts

Is there a TSB that explicitly states to replace exhaust components? I've only been able to track down a copy of TSB 2036392/6 which only seems to cover software updates and alignment.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=199112

The one above also mentions TSB 2045720 which might be the one with the exhaust replacement language. Does anyone have a link or can attach a copy to this forum?

RC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB 2036392-6.pdf (274.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-31-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

There is indeed a TSB on this matter.
My local Audi dealership confirmed that with me and stated something along the lines of 'testing car at 50% throttle a vibration occurs at 1 or 3k on the road' - not idle!
However, I still think this is a warranty issue, not a recall. If you are out of warranty....who knows? They replace parts of the exhaust components.

Had mine done about a month ago, right before it went out of warranty.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelzo
There is indeed a TSB on this matter.
My local Audi dealership confirmed that with me and stated something along the lines of 'testing car at 50% throttle a vibration occurs at 1 or 3k on the road' - not idle!
However, I still think this is a warranty issue, not a recall. If you are out of warranty....who knows? They replace parts of the exhaust components.

Had mine done about a month ago, right before it went out of warranty.
It’s essentially a warranty issue, not a recall. However, there are others that have recently posted in some other similar topic threads that Audi of America has worked with them out of warranty in covering all or most of the repair cost to replace the downpipes.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:40 AM

Started the process today to get my local Audi service manager to take up my case on this since my car is out of warranty. Will report back next week.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a 2013 Audi S8 with 51k miles, yesterday, at a non-Audi dealership and felt the vibration at idle holding at 3k RPM. Looking at the Carfax, the original owner routinely had the vehicle serviced on time, so I have to assume they just didn't notice it, like so many others.

I was able to get the car inspected by New German Performance, http://ngpracing.com, two (2) of the local Audi dealerships couldn't get me in on a days notice. Kudos to the dealership, Rosenthal Jaguar in Vienna Virginia (DC area) for allowing me to take an extended test drive in search of someone to look at it.

NGP indicated the engine mounts and exhausted appeared to be in good shape, with no leaks from the mounts or rattling from the exhaust.

Am I going to be fortunate enough, that it's just the software update? If so, does anyone know how much that would be?

Any thoughts, given the mileage on this car, if I can get Audi to address it as the 2nd owner at no charge?

Last edited by thiefa4; 01-11-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM

I would be skeptical at this point.

I have a '15 with 70k currently at my local Audi dealership for the past 5 days. I provided the service manager all the back story along with TSB info and part numbers. I also indicated that it would be likely that he/the dealership would have to contact Audi corporate to get the work covered. They did diagnose/confirm the issue but and said the TSB would only apply under a warranty/CPO situation. Unfortunately mine is not CPO or within warranty. I told them that this was my expectation and reiterated that they would need to contact Audi corporate on my behalf. Since then it's been 1 and a half days. They've been bad at returning calls and I'm starting to think I will have to get my car back and go to Audi corporate myself.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM

Good News: I can confirm exhaust pipe replacement fixes this issue

Bad News: My local Audi Dealer is such a disappointment

I've decided to give up on my local Audi dealership (Audi Grapevine). I gave them a full week to diagnose and confirm the issue. In fact I gave them all the pertinent information including TSBs and coaching them up on contacting Audi USA on my behalf. The best they could come up with was $600 of goodwill towards a $2000 estimated repair. Having wasted a full week on this I finally decided to work with my local independent shop Blair Automotive (awesome BTW) to get this done on my own. The job was done in under 2 hours and they were able to use my supplied parts. I leveraged the part number info on this post and got them from GenuineAudiParts.com.

I'll be saving my receipts if or hopefully when Audi decides to go public and make this right or we all win that class action suit. ;-)
Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by virtualrc
I would be skeptical at this point.
I hate how that worked out for you @virtualrc.

For me, your experience puts an interesting new twist on my search for a used 2013+ S8. Half of the vehicles I have considered purchasing displayed this problem. Now granted, my sample size is relatively low since I have only driven three S8s and had someone verify during an inspection the vibration existed for a fourth.

So finding one, with the desired optional features, acceptable color choices, mileage, price, that does not display the vibration issue or the repair can be negotiated into the sale price is a daunting task.

To close out my story, Rosenthal Jaguar claims the car was sent to a Audi dealer with the TSB I gave them but still has a vibration at 3000 RPM when it returned yesterday.

The VIN is WAUD2AFD0DN016507, the car is a 2013 Audi S8, Daytona Gray Pearl with black interior. In the likely event the new owner Googles the VIN, let me document the fact that the dealer who sold this car to you, knew it had this issue.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:47 AM
PFS
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So disappointed with Audi -- Deceptive Trade Practice

I have been a loyal Audi owner - 5 total, with my 3rd A8. I have a 2014 4.0T that I bought about a year ago. I got a new key a couple months ago, and the dealer did not reprogram the software for the active motor mounts. I am sort of glad, as it unmasked the root cause of the vibration that all these engines have due to the design defect of the down pipes. I have been communicating with Audi Customer Service for over a month. I have asked very specific questions and they simply do not respond. It is clear that Audi has known about the 1K and 3K vibration for years. The TSB is sort of fraudulent in that it starts with the software update, and only goes to the down pipe replacement if "it doesn't work". I think that is defined by if the "customer doesn't complain". My car only has 39K miles, and is out of warranty for about 8 months. I have asked for Audi to repair it. They have said no - and have been completely non-responsive to multiple inquires. Absolutely terrible customer service, as they continue the corporate culture of deceptive trade practices. The down pipe is a defect, and it is clearly the case, as I paid to get them replaced with the new design and of course no more vibration. SO EVERYONE, BEWARE OF HOW FAR AUDI HAS FALLEN. I suppose all those billions Audi/VW had to pay for its other deceptive practices has taught them nothing.

I can provide much more detail on my experience and I plan on pursuing the matter in many other forums. This is not about the money - this is about the awful behavior of a company I once respected. BTW - I have also had a coolant leak and oil separator ($1,500 replacement). This is on an supposedly flagship vehicle with the "best engine", engineered by the "best engineers". What a joke.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just had my 2015 4.0T in for the Fuel pressure damper recall and 45,000 AudiCare service. While there I had them check for the 1000/3000 RPM vibration and a few other issues. They validated the vibration issue and went through the TSB steps including the new downpipes under warranty. Very painless. Don't hear vibration now!

Quick Reply: Well, the dreaded 1K/3K rpm vibration finally reared it’s ugly head on my car 😣