A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently running 275/35/21 Dunlop Sport Maxx here in the UK. They are pretty poor grip wise. The car spins them up and the has never happened in with my previous tyres. They've got 5mm on them so still a fair way to go until they're worn. I've bought a set of 4 Pirelli P Zero to go on.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Look here, Michelin has a new tire for the Porsche fitment 275/40R20 that will perfectly fit the Audi 20 inch rims!! They are the new AS3 N-spec.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLN0&tab=Specs
Old 02-24-2017, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Saw these pop up at end of last week, and pic went up a few days ago. Obviously another quality A/S to go against the Conti DWS 06 play in the 275/40-20 size. Odd though because A/S3 has already been rev'ed to 3+ ny Michelin in general. There is another older AS in Porsche spec too called A/S Plus. Both have a tread pattern with way more sipes than typical for the other relatively contemporaneous A/S offerings by Michelin. Also this new one is backed off to a V speed rating (still plenty high for U.S.) compared to a lot of the 3+ (or DWS06) offerings.

I can't figure out if they are basically about a generation behind on the N spec ones, or they think they is something special with the lots of sipes tread pattern, or quite what. I think PS 4S is still coming in the 275/40 and wonder if a non N spec 275 A/S might still be a foot. I would expect both to be above a V rating give rest of line; the lots o sipes element may play a role in that. I can see how those could be good in an ice type scenario.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think the N-spec with those extra sipes will give it better traction then either of those AS3 or the AS3+ choices and be more quieter and smoother as they are designed for the Panamera in general especially the newer generations.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to get the N-spec Michelin and was told due to short supply, they would only sell to Porsche customers with proper VIN.

I went with Pirelli PZero AS plus (new compound) which I see very little feedback on. Has anyone tried these?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dblang
I tried to get the N-spec Michelin and was told due to short supply, they would only sell to Porsche customers with proper VIN.

I went with Pirelli PZero AS plus (new compound) which I see very little feedback on. Has anyone tried these?
I dont know why they did that! WOW I am shocked. Just order the 255/40R20 tires and dont put in the car model number or VIN. Tirerack has no issues with that and my audi dealer installed it perfectly and the tires run perfectly on the car. Very smooth, quiet comfortable and great gas mileage. Not sure about the new Pirellis but let me know about them if you decide to go for those. At the moment I dont see that the AS N-spec is in short supply on tirerack.com. Also there is newer version 275/40R20 AS3 N-spec if you want to go that route.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

As another idea: if fitment is nominally Panamera or Cayenne or Macan (whichever it is per listing), just find a valid VIN off of Autotrader for one of those. Many ads list VIN. Presto, as long as it's web or phone order. On the other hand if you are at an installer, not quite so easy to end run...besides trying a different one.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I was able to order the n-spec from tire rack. They arrive tomorrow. It was a local tire company that called in for a special order that was denied from Michelin. Tire rack must have gotten stock before shortage.
Hope they're nice. I couldn't find one review of them.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was able to order the n-spec from tire rack. They arrive tomorrow. It was a local tire company that called in for a special order that was denied from Michelin. Tire rack must have gotten stock before shortage.
Hope they're nice. I couldn't find one review of them.
I have the the 255/40R20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ N-spec on my A8l for 1 month now and they are super smooth and comfortable over bumps and bad roads with great noise reduction over standard tires. The tread pattern is really deep and I expect at least 35-40k out of them. I inflated them to 35 psi front and rear for best ride and even wear. I had my alignment done without too aggressive toe-in to help the wear be even front and rear and I have had good results on prior sets without having to rotate my wheel/tires. All 4 tires were properly hunter road force balanced and matched with less than 10 lbs road force so that is awesome.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

First impression of the new N spec as3 is good. Haven't seen rain yet but they are quieter and feel smooth and tight. I expect most new tires would be compared to tired Neros.
They are bigger than the stock but look fine.

Quick Reply: What tires are you using?