A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tires are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dblang
First impression of the new N spec as3 is good. Haven't seen rain yet but they are quieter and feel smooth and tight. I expect most new tires would be compared to tired Neros.
They are bigger than the stock but look fine.
Thats great! I really like the AS+ Nspec tire and have put over 1000 miles so far on them. They are doing really well, smooth, quiet, comfortable, good tight feel, great in rain etc. Gas mileage has gone up to 27-29 mpg highway and I am very happy. I recommend anyone with the A8s to choose between these 2 option tires which I feel are the best designed tires for our A8s given they have the Porsche Panamera specs in mind.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone have any experience with the new continental dws 06 tires? Looking to get those next but wanted to get a really quiet tire...tirerack have quietness to the new Pirelli p zero a/s+ but if they are both equally quiet would like to go with the dws as they are better rated in snow
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by cleex024
anyone have any experience with the new continental dws 06 tires? Looking to get those next but wanted to get a really quiet tire...tirerack have quietness to the new Pirelli p zero a/s+ but if they are both equally quiet would like to go with the dws as they are better rated in snow
I would avoid them. Quality control with DWS 06 are not great like the older DWS. Too many out of round vibrating tires that are hard to balance. I had terrible experience with 2 sets of DWS with vibration vibration vibration. I had to dump them and go back to Michelins which are more robust and more better made tires with higher tolerance in terms of roundness that are perfectly road force below 10 lbs of run out and my A8L is smooth as glass. There is another member with an A8L with constant vibration and out of round DWS 06 tires. He was so **** and had to dump them for Goodyears. Avoid Continentals and Pirellis please. Michelin trumps them all.

I dont use all seasons during winters anyways. Winters are far superior no matter what brand or tread pattern you have. The Micheli AS+ Nspec have been great in the snow base on previous comments on tirerack.com and I am sure the newer AS3 Nspec will be too. Go with 1 of those 1 choices
Old 04-21-2017, 03:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Baloo588
I would avoid them. Quality control with DWS 06 are not great like the older DWS. Too many out of round vibrating tires that are hard to balance. I had terrible experience with 2 sets of DWS with vibration vibration vibration. I had to dump them and go back to Michelins which are more robust and more better made tires with higher tolerance in terms of roundness that are perfectly road force below 10 lbs of run out and my A8L is smooth as glass. There is another member with an A8L with constant vibration and out of round DWS 06 tires. He was so **** and had to dump them for Goodyears. Avoid Continentals and Pirellis please. Michelin trumps them all.

I dont use all seasons during winters anyways. Winters are far superior no matter what brand or tread pattern you have. The Micheli AS+ Nspec have been great in the snow base on previous comments on tirerack.com and I am sure the newer AS3 Nspec will be too. Go with 1 of those 1 choices
I have the new DWS 06 and they are fine. I have 3500 miles on them and no issues with vibration. So far they have been good tires and wet traction has been great.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Those kind of situations will happen with any tire company...I had 3 sets of continental dw on another car and they were perfect and if you look at the reviews on tirerack they are awesome...if the tires were having as many problems as you say the reviews just wouldn't be that great as you can see with other tires. I would get the Michelin as+ but not looking for a tire that is that hard in the sidewalls...want something slightly softer.

Thanks though for the feedback but I'm looking for someone who has had good experiences with the dws06 tires that can tell me about noise...just need to know if the noise levels are extremely quiet.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

DWS06's work for me. Still on car from my winter use scenario--and they passed that test for a snowy Tahoe season this year. Summer ones are DW's which I was running through most of last fall. My S8 came with the 21" Dunlop noise reducing one. Frankly, I haven't perceived meaningful differences among any of them noise wise. Stock exhaust on dynamic setting--basically the faux Soundakator of course--is more noticeable than tire noise, and several times now I have heard tires on other vehicles at highway speeds and not really anything from S8. Obviously the DWS06 has the wet/snow/colder traction advantage.

Do realize the DWS 06's were retuned somewhat from the straight DWS's. The earlier ones are somewhat more snow agressive, while the 06's a bit more dialed toward performance and less mushiness side. Michelin meantime did just about the opposite with the 3+ (compared to A/S3)where more than a few found the older AS's not up to snuff for any winter snow/ice traction but did view it as more performance oriented than older DWS. I like where the AS3+ went, but my personal experience with older one on my D3 W12 was it was literally unsafe in modest winter conditions. My wife and I both badly slid the car (and barely recovered), which never happened on any other family Audi or tire set in last 15 years. Again, the AS3+ is the modified one to deal with that, which I would then be happy with. But neither those is the N spec either, and I guess 275/40-20 only comes in DWS06. D3 size (same as S7) had more choices here, but then also be careful with feedback that you are getting applies to apples, including DWS06 and not separate DWS.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-21-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
DWS06's work for me. Still on car from my winter use scenario--and they passed that test for a snowy Tahoe season this year. Summer ones are DW's which I was running through most of last fall. My S8 came with the 21" Dunlop noise reducing one. Frankly, I haven't perceived meaningful differences among any of them noise wise. Stock exhaust on dynamic setting--basically the faux Soundakator of course--is more noticeable than tire noise, and several times now I have heard tires on other vehicles at highway speeds and not really anything from S8. Obviously the DWS06 has the wet/snow/colder traction advantage.

Do realize the DWS 06's were retuned somewhat from the straight DWS's. The earlier ones are somewhat more snow agressive, while the 06's a bit more dialed toward performance and less mushiness side. Michelin meantime did just about the opposite with the 3+ (compared to A/S3)where more than a few found the older AS's not up to snuff for any winter snow/ice traction but did view it as more performance oriented than older DWS. I like where the AS3+ went, but my personal experience with older one on my D3 W12 was it was literally unsafe in modest winter conditions. My wife and I both badly slid the car (and barely recovered), which never happened on any other family Audi or tire set in last 15 years. Again, the AS3+ is the modified one to deal with that, which I would then be happy with. But neither those is the N spec either, and I guess 275/40-20 only comes in DWS06. D3 size (same as S7) had more choices here, but then also be careful with feedback that you are getting applies to apples, including DWS06 and not separate DWS.
yeah i change out tires way too soon so i have tried a lot of tires already...at least the extreme summer tires...havent messed with too many a/s but now im trying to stay with something that is a little more comfortable...which is why i wanted the cinturato p7 a/s pluses which is a grand touring tire.

the dws06 i know is different than the dws and all the pluses that came out...however i dont have any experience with any of them except maybe the dws06 for my dads car which were good but not silent like i thought it would have been. i guess these summer tires with noise shield is pretty tire...after reading the reviews on the michelin a/s tires i was turned off by them saying is it too stiff of a tire so i cant imagine the a/s pluses would be significantly softer even if they are quiet.

my 2 options in the a/s for 275/40/20 are the pirelli p zero a/s pluses or the conti dws06 that im interested in. but if the consensus is that dws are quiet then i guess those are my tires since its decent in the snow.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Pilot Sport AS plus n-spec is V rated and soft and comfortable without any harshness FYI. Its more like a grand touring tire feel which I really like compared to the Y-rated stiffer AS3 tire I had before that. You might like them. As for the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus, its a very high load rating and speed rating around 106Y which will be stiffer then the Michelins.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Pilot Sport AS plus n-spec is V rated and soft and comfortable without any harshness FYI. Its more like a grand touring tire feel which I really like compared to the Y-rated stiffer AS3 tire I had before that. You might like them. As for the Pirelli PZero A/S Plus, its a very high load rating and speed rating around 106Y which will be stiffer then the Michelins.
hmmmm that's interesting... however all the Porsche and n specs cost so much lol
Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cleex024
hmmmm that's interesting... however all the Porsche and n specs cost so much lol
Very true but I had to do it lol. There is a newer version AS3 N-Spec which is cheaper at 299 dollars if you are interested. Size 275/40R20.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...XLN0&tab=Sizes

Just giving you some options if not the DWS06.

Quick Reply: What tires are you using?