A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling sound coming from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Whistling sound coming from engine bay?

Hey all. I got a weird noise coming out the engine bay on my 2013 a8l 4.0t that occurs only after driving for a while when its humid or wet out. It's strange as it only happens once in a while. Maybe once or twice a month for a few days and it stops. Last time it happened was about 2 months ago when it was colder out and wet. It gets louder when pressing the gas. What could it possibly be? I tried locating it under the hood without any success but it does sound like it's coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I will upload a video and add the link in here once it's up for a better idea of it. Any input is appreciated

​​​​​​edit: link for the video is https://youtu.be/zFtbZn4zcRA

Last edited by Nermb; 05-22-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Open the oil fill cap when the whistle is present. If the sound goes away or significantly reduces you need a new PCV valve.
Part cost is a little over $100. Fairly common part failure.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rally
Open the oil fill cap when the whistle is present. If the sound goes away or significantly reduces you need a new PCV valve.
+1
That's a good place to start.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rally
Originally Posted by Jack88
+1
That's a good place to start.
I've tried opening the oil cap before and the sound does reduce. However wouldn't it make the noise all the time if that's What it is? Or it comes and goes? Also would this be a easy DIY? Or will it be a pita attempting it? Thanks for your help guys
Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It can come and go, and it is a simple DIY. It's held in with one screw and then there are the associated hoses. 10-15 minutes to do. The original part seems to be 079103542E but is no longer available. You'd have to confirm with a dealer, but I think it has been superseded by 079103245M, available through that link for $71.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It can come and go, and it is a simple DIY. It's held in with one screw and then there are the associated hoses. 10-15 minutes to do. The original part seems to be 079103542E but is no longer available. You'd have to confirm with a dealer, but I think it has been superseded by 079103245M, available through that link for $71.
it seems like that's the pcv valve for 2011-2012 a8's. Tried doing my research and I believe the part number would be 079-103-542-E? Cheapest I found it for is $255. It's the oil seperator (that's what the pcv valve is correct?)

Old 05-23-2017, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, functionally oil separator supersedes PCV valve most likely. It did on my 2006 W12 for example. I don't know details of 4.0T here but expect that would be found here too. Folks have posted on noise issues connected to oil separator, though don't remember if here or for D3 S8's (the V10) or some other.

Before going too far, I would backtrack to whether your car is under warranty or not. If it is, simply head to dealer, and pronto before 4/50 runs out on a 2013. And even if not under 4/50 still (or CPO), look at the emissions warranty book for this. That is a separate warranty few think about. I don't know if it would be a listed component or not eligible for longer warranty under those. It may also depend on the state you are in. The states that follow CA rules basically have longer smog warranties, while those in the basic federal standards probably get more under 4/50 than the emissions warranty. Those states in the better coverage group are basically West Coast, North East, Mid Atlantic, FL apparently now, and some others. Google "CARB Complaint" states if unclear about yours. Dealers also try to pretend the emissions warranties don't exist or generally act (or are) ignorant. But when you start to get to pricier parts like this you want to read the fine print of the warranties to see if it fits. From some Q5 posts I have followed or assisted in, the 1 800 Audi hotline is apparently pretty ignorant on this as well unless you really press and force to specifics or escalate some. It is not in their typical call center script, top 100 canned answers stuff.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-23-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, functionally oil separator supersedes PCV valve most likely. It did on my 2006 W12 for example. I don't know details of 4.0T here but expect that would be found here too. Folks have posted on noise issues connected to oil separator, though don't remember if here or for D3 S8's (the V10) or some other.

Before going too far, I would backtrack to whether your car is under warranty or not. If it is, simply head to dealer, and pronto before 4/50 runs out on a 2013. And even if not under 4/50 still (or CPO), look at the emissions warranty book for this. That is a separate warranty few think about. I don't know if it would be a listed component or not eligible for longer warranty under those. It may also depend on the state you are in. The states that follow CA rules basically have longer smog warranties, while those in the basic federal standards probably get more under 4/50 than the emissions warranty. Those states in the better coverage group are basically West Coast, North East, Mid Atlantic, FL apparently now, and some others. Google "CARB Complaint" states if unclear about yours. Dealers also try to pretend the emissions warranties don't exist or generally act (or are) ignorant. But when you start to get to pricier parts like this you want to read the fine print of the warranties to see if it fits. From some Q5 posts I have followed or assisted in, the 1 800 Audi hotline is apparently pretty ignorant on this as well unless you really press and force to specifics or escalate some. It is not in their typical call center script, top 100 canned answers stuff.
I will definitely do my research on that. However, I am APR tuned so I'm not sure how that would affect it even if covered. I'm just 5k over the warranty (55k miles) but still within the time period... which doesn't make a difference as the mileage is over. I will keep you guys updated once I find out about the emissions coverage if it's covered or not
Old 05-23-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Nermb
I will definitely do my research on that. However, I am APR tuned so I'm not sure how that would affect it even if covered. I'm just 5k over the warranty (55k miles) but still within the time period... which doesn't make a difference as the mileage is over. I will keep you guys updated once I find out about the emissions coverage if it's covered or not
Yep...APR tunes is going to raise questions if either visible like downpipes or they scan and you don't have it fully backed out and readiness codes back to normal. Could change cost equation back to just deal w/ it yourself, though worth knowing your emissions warranty situation for future reference anyway.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Doesn't the PCV fall under emissions, a longer warranty than the 4/50k? The tune could give you trouble, but since the PCV issue can be diagnosed without scanning the car, they may not pick up on it.

Quick Reply: Whistling sound coming from engine bay?