A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling sound coming from engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

PCV in the 4.0t is in the center of the v so you would likely have to remove the turbos to change it. I'm not convinced that is the issue though. I would search out the RS7 and s6/s7 boards to see if anyone has even had a similar problem.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Turbos cover it up on the 4.0t? A part they well know fails frequently in their cars. Brilliant...
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Turbos cover it up on the 4.0t? A part they well know fails frequently in their cars. Brilliant...
Yea definitely a bad spot to put it.

Originally Posted by the_duke
PCV in the 4.0t is in the center of the v so you would likely have to remove the turbos to change it. I'm not convinced that is the issue though. I would search out the RS7 and s6/s7 boards to see if anyone has even had a similar problem.
Yea I seen it in a s6 forum. Doesn't look like a lot of fun to do...
I don't think the turbos have to come out though. Only the vacuum hoses connected to them and a bunch of other things under them.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

So it's been about a month and a half that I changed the PCV Valve. The whistle is still there on occasions as it used to happen before. Only happens after driving hard for about 5 mins or even less. It does depend on the RPMs as sound gets louder with engine speed. Now it started getting a little rough that I could feel and engine runs rougher too. Strange thing is, it goes away by shutting the car off, letting it rest for about 5 second's and turning it back on again. Does anyone have any idea as to what the hell it could be? It's getting very annoying.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on this? Were you successful with the root cause?
Old 06-04-2022, 10:27 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Ok, I'll bite. The last post in this thread is from over five years ago. Nermb, are you still out there?
The following users liked this post:
Kabukie (06-05-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by matjan
Any updates on this? Were you successful with the root cause?
Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Ok, I'll bite. The last post in this thread is from over five years ago. Nermb, are you still out there?
Wow its been a long time but we're still around!

After I changed out my PCV valve, I had the noise come back a few times but all of a sudden it disappeared and it hasnt come back anymore.
I am still not sure if the PCV valve had anything to do with it but I havent done anymore repairs on the car since then, besides changing my heater coolant pump as it wasnt circulating the coolant to my heater core, therefore no heat in the car (has nothing to do with it).
Sorry I cant be much help I just dont have any further experience with it.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:07 PM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Since that's settled , may I hijack the thread a little?
Nermb, do you mean the pump under the windshield cowl? Did you use an Audi branded pump or an aftermarket? There's another thread on this, with some discussion about aftermarket pumps being problematic.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that somewhere left behind the wheel arch on the driverside? I can hear the sound coming from that part, here is a video

The phone was placed on one of the front left wheel control arms. The oil cap was removed around 1:10 and you can hear it has no significant impact.

Also, when I turn off the engine for lets say 30 seconds at least, the sound is gone on idle, it appears again during short drive. And it never occurs until the engine is warm and oil has at least 95 Celsius (203 F). Therefor my suspicion is something with the cooling that is triggered with that temperature.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A8L_New_England
Since that's settled , may I hijack the thread a little?
Nermb, do you mean the pump under the windshield cowl? Did you use an Audi branded pump or an aftermarket? There's another thread on this, with some discussion about aftermarket pumps being problematic.
Yes it is the one under the windshield cowl (passenger side). I used an original part I ordered through the dealer and it was pretty cheap it was only around $110 if I remember correctly. Pretty straight forward swap too so it was easy to do.

Quick Reply: Whistling sound coming from engine bay?