A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widest tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Widest tire

First, I apologize if this is a duplicate posting, I tried searching the forums and reading different threads but I could not find any with the answer I want.

I have the stock dual 5 spoke wheels, 21x9 et35 on 265/35/21. I am going for a different look for my S8, I already have the APR stage 1 tune and I'll be going stage 2 in the near future. In that case, I need a wider tire size. I come from a "stance" background; I love fitting the largest wheel I can on a car, camber, air suspension, etc, but this time I'm looking for function, but I still want the largest tire possible. I also want a more comfortable ride, and something that would be a little easier on the wallet. In this case I'll be downsizing to a 20 inch wheel. The wheel I'm looking at is 20x10 (want 11 or 10.5 wide but they don't make it in that width) with ET35. I'm positive that this size won't clear the brakes, so I'll be putting a 5mm spacer on front and rear. Finally, the tire size I will be going with is 305/35/20. Yes, you read that right, 305. Anyone try to fit anything in this size or range? I went on willtheyfit.com and it seems to me as if the wheel and tire should fit, spacers and all, without rubbing. I'm also concerned with cornering, I'm hoping that it won't rub there. If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know! I will be keeping my S8 at stock height, I lowered it before via VCDS and I did not like how it rode. Thanks ahead of time!
Old 04-23-2018, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tire sizing

i have 20x10.5 Vertini RF1 at ET30 with a 275/40. This setup at stock ride height absolutely fills the wheel well. I can't imagine getting a larger setup on.
As far as wide goes the car definitely doesn't need it from a performance standpoint. I have Michelin PS4 plus,the new one, on my car. The car was transformed with this tire change. It is louder than the Contis, definitely trams, tracks road camber more than before. The tire has a much higher cornering capability than the cars suspension.
I like a comfortable smooth ride, the 40 series down from the previous 45 was noticeable, I can't imagine going to a 20. It only ride quality, wheel weight but also appearance!
My car is all black with black wheels, I get lots of comments on how nice it sits and looks!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I’m at stage 2 and agree that you don’t need anything wider than a 275 for traction. I was hooking all winter with 275/35R21 Dunlop winter tires.

That being said, I have 3 aftermarket wheels all 10.5 wide in 21s and 20. The 20s are square ET27 and there is 1mm of clearance on the rotor. The other offsets are 30 front/35R and square ET30.

I truly think the offset is wheel dependent because the ET27s I have fit more like ET30.
I run 285s and 275s
Best of luck. Here’s the 20s with ET27
Old 04-23-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

FWIW, S8's can go down as low as 19's. It is not really an offset question directly, but rather finding the right shape of wheel. With Brembo style calipers, you typically need the spokes to meet the barrel of the wheel relatively vertically rather than be rounded off a lot toward the inside. Similarly on the hub side, the spokes need to curve right away off of the hub center area outward. In general Audi factory wheels for the right group of body styles and general offsets are going to do this. Those will be the D body wheels obviously, but also the C7 S7 wheels, the (non U.S.) C7 RS6, the S5/RS5, and the Q5. Gen 2 Q7 works IIRC too. Be sure the wheel is really up to the weight and power of the car; I would question that with Q5 and S5 wheels for example. But the OE widths generally peak out at 9 inches anyway, the corner cases being the Euro RS6 at 9 ½ and maybe some Gen 2 Q7 getting there or a bit more.

Generally to get to 10 or 10-½ it will be aftermarket. I personally don't go there both for taste but also objectively they are long term value (resale) subtracts in most cases. Regardless, a search will pull up practical examples of fitments. The art is more in the front than back, where you have to dial in the offset very carefully to balance not hitting suspension bits on the inside, but then also not either rubbing on the outside or just plain looking too boy racer with the tires sticking out too much, particularly on the leading lower edge of the fender. 305 in back maybe, but in front it will be a challenge. Performance wise, different widths front to back are a performance subtract on any Audi save the R8, unless you plan to put the big ones in the front... As already stated, 275 is all the car "needs" for stick and in general as the weight goes up, the performance goes down. Folks are already breaking axles on stage whatever RS7's and S7's in stock tire sizes running timed quarters and half's.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-23-2018 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (05-02-2021)
Old 04-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you everyone for the information!
I'm not necessarily looking for performance as I won't be taking the S8 to the track at all, it's just my daily driver, but I'd like to have that "oh look he's got 305's" talk at car shows etc. Although I'm realizing now that while I could probably fit 305s all the way around, there may be a bit more work involved in actually getting them to fit AND ride correctly (rubbing at full lock, high speed cornering, etc). If this wasn't a luxury vehicle as my previous two vehicles weren't, I would have just got the 305's, rolled and pulled the fenders and called it a day, but not on this car.

MP4.2+6.0 : I will be going with an aftermarket wheel to get the exact look I want. Forged wheels would be best, weight-wise, but of course they are fairly expensive. Stock wheels weigh 35lbs each without tires, and most cast aftermarket wheels weigh the same, even in a larger width, and so in the performance aspect it shouldn't really make too much of a difference. Of course, the tires weigh more though, and forged wheels are around 25lbs each.

295s might be what I go with for less headache fitment wise, in the end. Anybody here have 295s on theirs? If so, post some pictures!
Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Too big

While I do understand your desire of fitting a big tire there really is a limit not only physically but in appearance. I think if you look at a car with 275/40/20 in it you will realize the tires are giant, not much clearance . While you do have more clearance in the rears you really should stick with a square setup. If you want some close ups of my setup send me a pm.

09S5 (05-03-2021)
Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm all for extra tire over super low profile. But that 275 40 20 has way to much rubber. Looks silly
Audi.S8.fun (05-17-2020)
Old 04-27-2018, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed4door
I'm all for extra tire over super low profile. But that 275 40 20 has way to much rubber. Looks silly
that size is the choice of most posters here for 20” wheels, stock is 265.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed4door
Not really. Mostly lens distortion, picture angle and black wheels sort of blending w/ tire color.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thank you MP

It actually does look much better than that. I will get a nice 3/4 frontal

Quick Reply: Widest tire