A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Pass on the A8

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
I agree. I am certainly not able to burn money like many but I'm a good bit over 6 figures with no mortgage or any car payments so I could even custom order a 2012 if I wanted to. But after looking at the cars.com A8 2011 pre-owns, I am going to simply wait another year

Many 2011 A8's with 4K miles with decent options are now selling for low 70's and we all know that asking price is always at the highest ceiling point so very high 60's right now would not surprise me. One particular startling find was an IBIS White A8, fully loaded 2011 ($110K sticker) selling for $89K, or atleast thats what they were asking. It had 6700 miles on it. Although Blackbook pricing isnt out yet on 2011's, I guarantee you the required ceiling of dealers didnt allow much more than $80K to the original owner on that car and thats if he was lucky. Even if he bought that car at Invoice, its still $20K out the window after just 6K miles. Thats painfull to see and its not even my money!

If you are going to buy new, atleast aim for Invoice. My last 3 cars were new and all were invoice or below. 2 of them were even ordered. For example My 2011 S4 was ordered in Nov for $2500 below invoice.

In 30-60 days, ordering a 2012 A8 for invoice or even sub invoice objective will become easier. Finding a 2011 in stock right now will easily go for well under if you have all the options you want and like the colors
KELLY BLUE BOOK VALUATION: 2011 AUDI A8

Without optional equipment:
Suggested Retail/Used $79,035
CPO 80,535

Private Party-Excellent 76,435
Private Party-Good 72,535
Private Party-Fair 66,935

Trade-In - Excellent 75,200
Trade-In - Good 71,400
Trade-In - Fair 64,600

all as of 10/19/11

When speced with normal A8 options, the used retail (excellent condition) @ 6,700 miles on the O/D is $82,540. I'd imagine you'd have to add another $2K to $3K for the LWB. Trade-in is $78,475 for the same specs. You drop to the mid $60K range for vehicles in "Fair" condition, which at this point would be very rare, other than if abused or damaged in an accident.

As others have said, for a good many of us, these cars are a piece of the reward pie we take for ourselves irrespective of price. We accept the initial depreciation as part of the package of enjoying something we find adding to our lives in some way. This is nothing new, and has been a fact of life for anyone purchasing new "luxury" cars since time-in-memorium. If you plan to keep a car for more than 6 years, this probably isn't much of consideration anyway. For those of us who lease these bad boys, well it tends not to be that much of a concern.

Yes, Mr. Balley's remarks about the uncertainty of life (and its relatively unpredictable span) play a part in my/my wife's thinking in these matters to some degree. I suppose as one ages, one tends to look past the strict valuation/devaluation of certain things, and place added value for life's enjoyments. And, yes---at about $80K, a one-year old A8 looks to be a very good value for what you're getting.

At the end of the day...as I'm behind the wheel of my A8L, I'm lovin' life and having a wonderful time---not concerned about the value of the car contributing to my experience, but just enjoying the time I have. Just my 2-cents.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
KELLY BLUE BOOK VALUATION: 2011 AUDI A8

Without optional equipment:
Suggested Retail/Used $79,035
CPO 80,535

Private Party-Excellent 76,435
Private Party-Good 72,535
Private Party-Fair 66,935

Trade-In - Excellent 75,200
Trade-In - Good 71,400
Trade-In - Fair 64,600

all as of 10/19/11

When speced with normal A8 options, the used retail (excellent condition) @ 6,700 miles on the O/D is $82,540. I'd imagine you'd have to add another $2K to $3K for the LWB. Trade-in is $78,475 for the same specs. You drop to the mid $60K range for vehicles in "Fair" condition, which at this point would be very rare, other than if abused or damaged in an accident.

As others have said, for a good many of us, these cars are a piece of the reward pie we take for ourselves irrespective of price. We accept the initial depreciation as part of the package of enjoying something we find adding to our lives in some way. This is nothing new, and has been a fact of life for anyone purchasing new "luxury" cars since time-in-memorium. If you plan to keep a car for more than 6 years, this probably isn't much of consideration anyway. For those of us who lease these bad boys, well it tends not to be that much of a concern.

Yes, Mr. Balley's remarks about the uncertainty of life (and its relatively unpredictable span) play a part in my/my wife's thinking in these matters to some degree. I suppose as one ages, one tends to look past the strict valuation/devaluation of certain things, and place added value for life's enjoyments. And, yes---at about $80K, a one-year old A8 looks to be a very good value for what you're getting.

At the end of the day...as I'm behind the wheel of my A8L, I'm lovin' life and having a wonderful time---not concerned about the value of the car contributing to my experience, but just enjoying the time I have. Just my 2-cents.

I agree, we all need to find ways to enjoy life however we choose to do it, given it doesnt conflict with priorities. I have 3 cars, each with 3 different personalities to match one of my own, depending on which one wakes up first or dominates the week. I could probably sell/trade 2 for a loaded A8 and get cash back but I already know that I will be bored with 2 cars (which is why I have 3 - lol!). For now. I just choose not to have 2 AUDI's in the family but in the future, that may change.

Regardless, I too at the end of the day enjoy life as well.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I agree, we all need to find ways to enjoy life however we choose to do it, given it doesnt conflict with priorities. I have 3 cars, each with 3 different personalities to match one of my own, depending on which one wakes up first or dominates the week. I could probably sell/trade 2 for a loaded A8 and get cash back but I already know that I will be bored with 2 cars (which is why I have 3 - lol!). For now. I just choose not to have 2 AUDI's in the family but in the future, that may change.

Regardless, I too at the end of the day enjoy life as well.
Hope you didn't feel overtly targeted by my comments. The point I was trying to make is that there can be other priorities for many (perhaps most) of us on this particular forum. The fact that we have chosen to drive a new A8 suggests that the issue of 1st year depreciation ultimately plays little into how we make our personal vehicle purchase decisions. That other priorities come into play for you and, perhaps, others is a fair enough proposition---however, since you have continued to pose your belief regarding the depreciation/value issue several times here, it appears (at least to me) to come across as a tad judgmental with regard to how myself and others have opted to acquire a new A8; that we have chosen foolishly. I may be overstating this, and perhaps my take on where you're coming from is completely off-base. If so, my apologies.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jprescott
I had an 06' A8L for two years followed by an 07' S550 and just traded that in for an 11' 740Li. They are all great cars. Once in them for a few months they all have their ups and downs.
You're right about owning and having driven.

So, how would you compare the 06' A8L against 07' S550? What are the pluses and misuses of each?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A8L was at the time the most beautiful car I have owned in and out. Northern blue pearl with beige. Even my wife who does not give two shizz about my cars loved that one. The S550 is king of lux. Super smooth drive and quieter than A8 with security glass(good option).
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. I am certainly not able to burn money like many but I'm a good bit over 6 figures with no mortgage or any car payments so I could even custom order a 2012 if I wanted to. But after looking at the cars.com A8 2011 pre-owns, I am going to simply wait another year

Mark, I think this is a wise decision if it will help you to get to the mental frame of mind where you will enjoy the car more. By mid 2012, there will be some helluva deals on 2011s.

This go around I decided to lease so as to put up a somewhat weak impediment to me flipping cars every 12 months as has been my habit over the past few years (some call it a sickness). Since I was able to get a decent rate and residual on my A8, I didn't feel too bad about it. Of course it wasn't a 'deal' but I mentally categorize the depreciation loss as coming out of my entertainment budget. Also, there were various options that I have that were hard to come by, and I knew the likelihood of finding those on the used market in this combination in 12 or even 24 months was slim. If I had decided to purchase, I probably would have not have gone brand new, but waited at least 6-9 months and picked up something under 10k miles, but also settled for a car without my desired options. As it stands now, my wife loves this car and wants me to buy it when it comes off lease. I really couldn't be happier with this automobile.

But maybe in a few years the A9 will be out and she can have the A8!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Question

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
Mark, I think this is a wise decision if it will help you to get to the mental frame of mind where you will enjoy the car more. By mid 2012, there will be some helluva deals on 2011s.

This go around I decided to lease so as to put up a somewhat weak impediment to me flipping cars every 12 months as has been my habit over the past few years (some call it a sickness). Since I was able to get a decent rate and residual on my A8, I didn't feel too bad about it. Of course it wasn't a 'deal' but I mentally categorize the depreciation loss as coming out of my entertainment budget. Also, there were various options that I have that were hard to come by, and I knew the likelihood of finding those on the used market in this combination in 12 or even 24 months was slim. If I had decided to purchase, I probably would have not have gone brand new, but waited at least 6-9 months and picked up something under 10k miles, but also settled for a car without my desired options. As it stands now, my wife loves this car and wants me to buy it when it comes off lease. I really couldn't be happier with this automobile.

But maybe in a few years the A9 will be out and she can have the A8!
Is the A9/S9 going to be a sport-back like the A5/S5/RS 5 sport-back and A7/S7/RS 7 or a coupe and convertible like the regular (regular meaning not a sport-back) A5/S5/RS 5?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

The rumor is that it will be a coupe to compete with the likes of the Mercedes CL.

My wish list would be styling and refinement on par with the Mercedes CL550, but with all of the superior technology and cabin appointments that are Audi's hallmark.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...eport#comments