A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Tinting Restriction Enforcement for NYS vehicle registration renewals...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Window Tinting Restriction Enforcement for NYS vehicle registration renewals...

So my dealer's service manager was showing me the notice that the New York State DMV sent out regarding new annual vehicle inspection requirements for window tints. All NYS vehicle inspection centers are being required to purchase a special metering device for each inspection bay that wil measure a car's window tint. If the tint is darker than the prescribed limit, then the car fails inspection. At this moment the DMV hasn't yet released what the tint threshold limit will be. Something to be aware of for those who might be affected.

Last edited by derfA8L; 12-11-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Im sure there has to be a way around this. Just have to find a friendly shop thatll do it
Old 12-11-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's not a lot of incentive for a "friendly shop" to do that. The DMV sends around teams of anonymous inspectors that visit unsuspecting stations looking for "friendly" passing grades and other shenanigans. Our facility in the New Rochelle area used to get a visit a couple of times a year. The penalties are very stiff (5 figures and potential to lose your facility license).

Why someone would risk that to indulge someone who just HAS to have extra window tint seems a bit crazy. The only exceptions are for people that have a medical need for extra tint.

Best,
Old 12-11-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritz
There's not a lot of incentive for a "friendly shop" to do that. The DMV sends around teams of anonymous inspectors that visit unsuspecting stations looking for "friendly" passing grades and other shenanigans. Our facility in the New Rochelle area used to get a visit a couple of times a year. The penalties are very stiff (5 figures and potential to lose your facility license).

Why someone would risk that to indulge someone who just HAS to have extra window tint seems a bit crazy. The only exceptions are for people that have a medical need for extra tint.

Best,
what i meant was, you have to know someone that works at a shop or someone that knows someone that works at a shop. It all goes by who you know, as many things do. I could be wrong, maybe there's something other than just a tint meter that they have to use. But im still sure there has to be a.way around it one way or another. Youd be surprised with how many illegal things shops get away with. I doubt this would be any different. As for excessively tinted windows, theres many reasons why someone would have them installed. For example, a medical need as you said, privacy, looks of vehicle, etc. I dont agree with the new law whatsoever. I believe they should of just left it to the cops to take care of it.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like most Government regulations this is total BS as far as enforcement. I had the windows on my Lexus tinted by the dealer before I took delivery. My yearly "safety inspection" was conducted at several different establishments in the following 4 years without a problem. I then went to a new so called state authorized establishment and they failed my vehicle because the windows were too dark. Total BS. I drove the car until I could get it to one of my regular independents and it passed without issue. It is just another excuse for government to interfere in your life and try and collect some additional tax money off your discomfort.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I think the law reads 70% LT on all side glass with aftermarket tint. 70% is almost like having no tint at all...
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Like most Government regulations this is total BS as far as enforcement. I had the windows on my Lexus tinted by the dealer before I took delivery. My yearly "safety inspection" was conducted at several different establishments in the following 4 years without a problem. I then went to a new so called state authorized establishment and they failed my vehicle because the windows were too dark. Total BS. I drove the car until I could get it to one of my regular independents and it passed without issue. It is just another excuse for government to interfere in your life and try and collect some additional tax money off your discomfort.
Be that as it may, the law is what it is. If a shop lets someone skate in NY, they risk losing their license and paying a very large fine. I've seen it first hand. As the owner of the vehicle, you just run the risk of getting pulled over later and paying a fine if a cop feels like finding a reason to ticket you. Not sure having dark windows is worth that hassle (for anyone), but to each his/her own.

Best,
Old 12-12-2016, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritz
Be that as it may, the law is what it is. If a shop lets someone skate in NY, they risk losing their license and paying a very large fine. I've seen it first hand. As the owner of the vehicle, you just run the risk of getting pulled over later and paying a fine if a cop feels like finding a reason to ticket you. Not sure having dark windows is worth that hassle (for anyone), but to each his/her own.

Best,
You miss my point. My tint is legal, and has been measured every year for several years at authorized stations. However, that doesn't keep an authorized station who is trying to make a little extra money from telling you that your tint is too dark. In Louisiana they are required to remove your safety sticker and replace it with a red failed sticker giving you a specified number of days to have the alleged deficiency repaired. Of course, they pressure you to have it repaired at their facility. I didn't.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad we don't have any of that garbage here in Montana. I'm sure there is some law on the books about tint but I've never had any issues. There is no vehicle inspection of any kind here.