A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield leak!!! UGH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield leak!!! UGH!

Had water in passenger side a few days ago after it rained. Was suggested I check windshield and sure enough water is pouring in from passenger side at top. I can press on windshield and it moves up and down some. It is a 2014 and has on 38K miles..never been a wreck! Any suggestions?? Will AUDI cover this under warranty?
..great its getting ready to rain again!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, that should be covered. It's not normal for a windshield to do that provided you still have the original windshield. Not uncommon for aftermarket windshield replacements as their fitting isn't always good.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Yes, expect Audi to cover under warranty. Make sure all cameras and other sensors are aligned; that has actually become the more expensive labor part of windshield work on newer vehicles. They may well break the windshield trying to get it out--a good thing as far as nice new dealer/factory glass.

For ALL other D4 owners--these posts are increasingly a call to action to inspect yours periodically--warranty or not--to avoid damage. For folks under warranty like here, crucial to do pre expiration.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yes, expect Audi to cover under warranty. Make sure all cameras and other sensors are aligned; that has actually become the more expensive labor part of windshield work on newer vehicles. They may well break the windshield trying to get it out--a good thing as far as nice new dealer/factory glass.

For ALL other D4 owners--these posts are increasingly a call to action to inspect yours periodically--warranty or not--to avoid damage. For folks under warranty like here, crucial to do pre expiration.
Called Audi Roadside service. They are on the way to pick the car up. Windshield is original and Audi rep told me is should be covered. I have 6 months left on warranty! Will keep you posted on repair.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Angry Leaky Windshield and Warranty

I see others on this site expected Audi to replace a leaky windshield on a car under warranty. My dealer just told me they would absolutely NOT be able to replace/repair it under the warranty. He suggested I go under my car insurance. Could this possibly be correct? I am incredulous!
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

They fixed mine..it was under warranty. No issues since then.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

What year is your car? Are you still under factory warranty? If so I don't see why they wouldn't, as long as it's the original windshield of course... it's a manufacturer defect, and this is precisely what your warranty is there for. Sounds like you need to argue or find a new dealer.

My car is a 2014 from 2013, and as such is out of warranty, cost to replace my windshield (the original broke taking it out) was right at $500, with non-Audi glass, just to give you an idea of cost
Old 11-17-2018, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It’s a 2013 A6 still under factory warranty with original glass. The dealer said Audi would not reimburse them and I should go under my car insurance. Of course then, it will no longer be the original glass if the problem continues. I’m not giving up.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts
Default Report the issue to NHTSA to have them track it as possible safety issue

Copy of my reply to a near duplicate thread today:

Here is the link to the web page for NHTSA complaints. It at least gets into the database and might help Audi from continuing to obfuscate and deflect on what is an idiotic and unacceptable basic assembly fault on their flag ship automobile. Presumably you won't have any injuries or accidents to report. But, talk up any safety issues you perceived--distraction, any window fog ups, risk windshield would fully detach in accident and risk occupant ejection or dangerous object ingress, etc.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Again, keep any out of pocket receipts in case Audi ever has to bite the bullet and do a recall. Those then get reimbursed in the typical recall scenario for cars that have been on the road and may have been repaired already.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Copy of my reply to a near duplicate thread today:

Here is the link to the web page for NHTSA complaints. It at least gets into the database and might help Audi from continuing to obfuscate and deflect on what is an idiotic and unacceptable basic assembly fault on their flag ship automobile. Presumably you won't have any injuries or accidents to report. But, talk up any safety issues you perceived--distraction, any window fog ups, risk windshield would fully detach in accident and risk occupant ejection or dangerous object ingress, etc.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Again, keep any out of pocket receipts in case Audi ever has to bite the bullet and do a recall. Those then get reimbursed in the typical recall scenario for cars that have been on the road and may have been repaired already.

Very helpful, thank you.....I am going to follow up with them.

Quick Reply: Windshield leak!!! UGH!