A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF8 Trans low speed sequential downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by sushistrip
Oh the other thing I wanted to look into is tcm software version. I've read tsb's about software updates fixing problems and wondered where to start with that. Can I do any verification with VCDS or do I have to take it to the stealership?
You can read the software version in the transmission module, but then need TSB's or other materials to tell you if there was a revision. Only Audi dealer can actually flash it if there even is a change; it sync's to Audi central computers in the Vaterland. Fluid is your likely path here, plus an adaptation.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I think I will go the route of draining and replacing filter. The manual explicitly says not to put weight on wheels with the crossbrace removed. With that said, I can put it up on 4 jacks easily enough. However....there doesn't seem to be an obvious place for the jack stands. Is under the control arm/frame connection an appropriate spot for front and back?
Old 11-02-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I never remember exactly from car to car, but yes jackstands under a major suspension bolt up point like arms are one of the places I go for. Best on audi's for me are typically frame/subframe bolt up points, but those may be blocked by other parts. You have to make sure the purchase is solid. Sometimes I find places like the arm bolt up points end up with parts that are at an angle to the floor/stand. If so, I worry the stand may move/slide under load.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I should mention the other symptom I'm having. There is a noticeable whine until about 1500rpm. This is agnostic of gear, happens in 1-8, park, neutral, reverse, or sport mode. Dealership thought it might be power steering pump, but they also said the engine has to be dropped to replace it...which is wrong...so I don't believe their assessment. Also, there is zero noise when turning the steering wheel, driving or standing still. After some research it seems to be one of two things: transmission fluid pump, or clogged transmission fluid filter. I can try to capture it on video, but it relatively subtle.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sushistrip
I think I should mention the other symptom I'm having. There is a noticeable whine until about 1500rpm. This is agnostic of gear, happens in 1-8, park, neutral, reverse, or sport mode. Dealership thought it might be power steering pump, but they also said the engine has to be dropped to replace it...which is wrong...so I don't believe their assessment. Also, there is zero noise when turning the steering wheel, driving or standing still. After some research it seems to be one of two things: transmission fluid pump, or clogged transmission fluid filter. I can try to capture it on video, but it relatively subtle.

Hmmm...does a 13 4.0T have a power steering pump?? My 2015 S8 is an electric rack...no pump.

Yes, whine not tied to gear like that could be PS pump--if it has one. Could also be alternator or water pump, and it does have those. Maybe even a serp belt pulley. And yes, could be trans oil pump too.

Net, need more diagnostics--plus review whether your year + motor still even had the hydraulic PS set up. Poking at things with an automotive stethoscope can help isolate a noise like this. Or the poor man's equivalent I have always used: a really long screwdriver with blunt handle end pressed up against ear and the blade touching the suspect part/pump, area near pulley, etc.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Hmmm...does a 13 4.0T have a power steering pump?? My 2015 S8 is an electric rack...no pump.

Yes, whine not tied to gear like that could be PS pump--if it has one. Could also be alternator or water pump, and it does have those. Maybe even a serp belt pulley. And yes, could be trans oil pump too.

Net, need more diagnostics--plus review whether your year + motor still even had the hydraulic PS set up. Poking at things with an automotive stethoscope can help isolate a noise like this. Or the poor man's equivalent I have always used: a really long screwdriver with blunt handle end pressed up against ear and the blade touching the suspect part/pump, area near pulley, etc.
Also, only happens with throttle. So if I put it in gear and let it roll, no noise.

There is a hydraulic fluid reservoir, so I assume it has hydraulic steering. I suppose water pump would be easy to diagnose since it's fairly accessible, but the alternator is stuck way in the back right? I suppose if it's either of those I can just live with it until they start showing other symptoms.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any idea where to find out how many bolts and what kind for the cross brace? ETKA diagram is of little help as it shows only 4 different bolts, however there are 7 bolts on each side:

Bolts to remove (alldata):

Last edited by sushistrip; 11-15-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

I have no idea about where or how to find the info, but would the extra bolts be in locations 57 & 58 on the diagram? Are they threaded clips?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Still haven't figured out the bolt situation, but I've bought replacements for most if them so I'll just wing it for now.

After re-reading the manual, the other crossbrace (referred to as tunnel brace) has to come off. Common sense tells me that having the transmission supported solely by the engine isn't a good idea, but the manual makes no mention of supporting the transmission. Any thoughts?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

125k miles transmission fluid:

To be fair, it looks like I have a small leak on the side:

I will start a new thread with the steps and some lessons learned.

Quick Reply: ZF8 Trans low speed sequential downshifting