A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

This evening we drove 250 miles. My adaptive cruise control failed 6 times, 5 after dark. I have had other failures but today won the prize. The issue is clearly worse after dark. I understand this is a known issue. Has anyone here complained about this issue to your dealer? If so was there a resolution? Was it hardware or software? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 788 Likes on 575 Posts

While not directly on topic, I would like to add that the Driver's Assistance Package has been the cause of several headaches on the Q8 forum and on the A8 forum (both here and elsewhere). My biggest non regret (e.g. I'm thankful for this) is that I did NOT buy the Driver's Assistance Package. Between lidar scanner failures, software failures, excessive windshield washer fluid usage (due to the cleaning of the lidar scanner), and the inability for this system to function like a regular cruise control at all, means that I think people really need to be careful with this package.

Don't get me wrong - these issues are not unique to Audi. Radar based systems (exclusively) like on the MB distronic system, do turn themselves off in things like snow, but it is a rarity, not a normal thing like on the Audi implementation.

I will also state that active lane keep assist (which I have activated through the OBD hack) is a joke. Don't get me wrong, it works - well, except it doesn't. It doesn't work well enough to keep you in the center of a lane to avoid a cop pulling you over on suspicion of impaired driving, BUT on the other hand, even with intervention set to late, it doesn't work at all for me on the highway. What I mean by this is this: I usually am on the left lane, and given the width of the A8 and on my style, I drive my vehicle such that the left two wheels are very close to, or on the lane marking. (I like avoiding other cars). The ALA keeps on nudging me back to the center of the lane, thus seriously reducing the distance between me and the car beside me. My only recourse is to turn it off....but if I do that, the steering wheel doesn't vibrate to alert me that I'm drifting out of a lane, and if I OBD11 hack it to do that without nudging me back in lane, then well, it'll vibrate every time I'm purposely riding the lane.

I would have expected "late" intervention to allow me to drive at least 1" away from the lane marking in question, but no, it lets me get closer than 'early' intervention, but still, a woeful implementation of ALA IMHO. The MB and BMW systems allow for what I do without issue. The Audi system needs work.

So all this being said, I am glad I did not buy the Driver's Assistance Package and everyone has different needs of course, but I would respectfully encourage prospective buyers of the D5 to think long and hard about this option. It is the only package I am adamantly cautioning people from buying given the grief I read on the forums and my own selfish happiness that I did not buy it.