A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding SIM card?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Default Adding SIM card?

Unsure if the US's center storage faceplate/baseplate includes a slot to use your own SIM, but if not, wondering if this may work.

I believe all vehicles in NA have an eSIM built in that utilizes AT&T for Audi Connect data services. I believe it's possible to add a SIM card in Europe such that, at the very least, a mobile hotspot can be setup using that SIM card. I doubt Audi Connect can use that SIM card for data, but I can't seem to definitively find out.

The problem though is that the faceplate/baseplate on my D5 does not have a SIM card at all, and Audi Canada has stated that the faceplate/baseplate is such that the SIM card is blanked out.

So, I want to see if it's possible to just plugin a SIM card by bypassing the faceplate. If so (e.g. the slot exists behind the plate), would the MMI system automatically give me the option to use said hotspot?

Instructions included. I may try this later on today....

I've been searching through every Audi forum I could find to see if anyone has tried this on any model and no bueno. Does anyone recall this being attempted before I tear open my D5 again?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Center Storage.pdf (156.9 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by angrypengu; 05-11-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To close the loop on this, yes, this is do-able on the D5. You have to enable the external SIM card to be used via OBD11, but very much do-able. You would then manually enter the APN settings for the SIM card you added.

Or, you can have the MMI connect to a hotspot too instead of being its own hotspot.

If this is of interest to anyone, just reply to this thread and I can provide instructions. Nothing too crazy or difficult to do. The main blocker is for us NA people to remove the center glovebox, and then change out the faceplate that is currently blocking the port that the UK folks have which is the slot for the external sim.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:57 AM
Audi Fanboy!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Angry - I'm interested in how to get it done.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cacophonix
Hey Angry - I'm interested in how to get it done.
Do you have the faceplate to swap out first? It's the one that is inside the center console that would then add a Sim card slot (beside the USB slots and memory card slots). That's half the battle!
Old 07-24-2021, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
To close the loop on this, yes, this is do-able on the D5. You have to enable the external SIM card to be used via OBD11, but very much do-able. You would then manually enter the APN settings for the SIM card you added.

Or, you can have the MMI connect to a hotspot too instead of being its own hotspot.

If this is of interest to anyone, just reply to this thread and I can provide instructions. Nothing too crazy or difficult to do. The main blocker is for us NA people to remove the center glovebox, and then change out the faceplate that is currently blocking the port that the UK folks have which is the slot for the external sim.

Hi Angry. To make MMI connect to my cell phone hotspot, do I need the SIM slot, or is that a setting in OBD11 or existing electronics settings? I was able to connect my rear TV screens to iphone hotspot with ease once the Audi internal hotspot trial ended. Thanks for the post and help.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiConverted
Hi Angry. To make MMI connect to my cell phone hotspot, do I need the SIM slot, or is that a setting in OBD11 or existing electronics settings? I was able to connect my rear TV screens to iphone hotspot with ease once the Audi internal hotspot trial ended. Thanks for the post and help.
You'll need to pop off that cover and replace it with one that gas a SIM slot, yes. They'd be ordered in from Germany
The following users liked this post:
AudiConverted (07-24-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 AM
Audi Fanboy!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for responding. I don't have the faceplate. Where can I get that? I am not handy with fiddling with cars so I'm more then likely going to have it done for me by an Independent Audi shop owner.

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Do you have the faceplate to swap out first? It's the one that is inside the center console that would then add a Sim card slot (beside the USB slots and memory card slots). That's half the battle!

Last edited by cacophonix; 07-25-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cacophonix
Thanks for responding. I don't have the faceplate. Where can I get that? I am not handy with fiddle with cars so I'm more then likely going to have it done for me by an Independent Audi shop owner.
you'd have to find the part number, order it from the dealer, and if your case have someone do the install. That's a setting to change to go from esim to sim but no one here has done or tried this. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2021, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Does doing this allow for me to get Google Earth and Search functions similar to what Audi Connect does (which costs to much monthly IMO) ? If not, what exactly am I able to get if I do this ?
Old 07-25-2021, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by readheads
Does doing this allow for me to get Google Earth and Search functions similar to what Audi Connect does (which costs to much monthly IMO) ? If not, what exactly am I able to get if I do this ?
I believe this is the use case, yes.