A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 Arrived at Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

@ @derfA8L :

You waiting for the 4.0L engine now has me trying to figure out what I should do. May I ask if any of this is reliability related or do you just want a faster car?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
@ @derfA8L :

You waiting for the 4.0L engine now has me trying to figure out what I should do. May I ask if any of this is reliability related or do you just want a faster car?
These are two separate questions, yes?

1- American automotive press has been told and have reported that the V8 model will arrive in US (North America?) by this Summer. The Audi US Product Info Book (PIB) does show the upcoming availability of the 4.0T V8, with more info to come. Clearly indicates that the V8 is indeed coming—by this Summer, or certainly as a 2020 model a year from now.

2- Yes, I want a faster car like I currently drive. Quicker, smoother, with power in reserve. I have the 4.0T V8 on my D4 and would not settle for the single turbo V6 at this point. Nothing against it, other than it’s nit my cup of tea.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

These are two separate questions, yes?

1- American automotive press has been told and have reported that the V8 model will arrive in US (North America?) by this Summer. The Audi US Product Info Book (PIB) does show the upcoming availability of the 4.0T V8, with more info to come. Clearly indicates that the V8 is indeed coming—by this Summer, or certainly as a 2020 model a year from now.

2- Yes, I want a faster car like I currently drive. Quicker, smoother, with power in reserve. I have the 4.0T V8 on my D4 and would not settle for the single turbo V6 at this point. Nothing against it, other than it’s nit my cup of tea.
Ah, understood. I was making some assumptions on my end. E.g. the V8 being made in Germany could be more reliable etc. I think based on your post this has nothing to do with reliability. I was just curious! Thanks!
Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ah, understood. I was making some assumptions on my end. E.g. the V8 being made in Germany could be more reliable etc. I think based on your post this has nothing to do with reliability. I was just curious! Thanks!
After owning a 1985 Audi 5000S for 8 trouble-prone years (I’m a glutton for punishment), there’s little with regard towards reliability that really concerns me—to a point. Yes, reliability is important, but IMO making a D-class purchase decision with reliability as the pinnacle factor can be a “fool’s errand”. And especially with all the new tech bundled into the D5, you really need to be tolerant of a higher probability for service department visits—in effect, to some extent you’re becoming a part of Audi’s problem solving and remediation process for the 1st two model years.

Having said this, my previous 2011 A8L was a Feb 2011 fairly early 1st model year US spec build and that car was rock solid—very reliable, as has been my present 2015 A8L. I really don’t have any serious qualms about the D5’s reliability at this point, nor for that matter for the new A7/S7, or new Q8–and as you surmised, there are other factors driving my ultimate purchase decision. But I do respect that you are focused a lot more on the reliability issue which can be problematic with the new D5 model.

Last edited by derfA8L; 10-29-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After owning a 1985 Audi 5000S for 8 trouble-prone years (I’m a glutton for punishment), there’s little with regard towards reliability that really concerns me—to a point. Yes, reliability is important, but IMO making a D-class purchase decision with reliability as the pinnacle factor can be a “fool’s errand”. And especially with all the new tech bundled into the D5, you really need to be tolerant of a higher probability for service department visits—in effect, to some extent you’re becoming a part of Audi’s problem solving and remediation process for the 1st two model years.

Having said this, my previous 2011 A8L was a Feb 2011 fairly early 1st model year US spec build and that car was rock solid—very reliable, as has been my present 2015 A8L. I really don’t have any serious qualms about the D5’s reliability st this point, nor for that matter for the new A7/S7, or new Q8–and as you surmised, there are other factors driving my ultimate purchase decision. But I do respect that you are focused a lot more on the reliability issue which can be problematic with the new D5 model.
All fair points. I'm quite frankly at this point thinking that a potential way to mitigate the potential reliability issues is to not trade in my current vehicle and buying a D5 and just living life with both cars in my life. I accept taking on risk and as one of the first adopters of gasoline direct injection with Audi and getting burned so bad I am still haunted from it, I apparently haven't learned my lesson, or at least maybe I'm just hoping Audi has improved on their QA.

One real potential is to simply wait a few years before buying a D5, but that's not really a definite answer to anything either. Time will tell with what I decide to do, but you're absolutely right that the D series Audi vehicles have been pretty solid (reliability wise) vehicles, despite not being high volume flagships.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All fair points. I'm quite frankly at this point thinking that a potential way to mitigate the potential reliability issues is to not trade in my current vehicle and buying a D5 and just living life with both cars in my life. I accept taking on risk and as one of the first adopters of gasoline direct injection with Audi and getting burned so bad I am still haunted from it, I apparently haven't learned my lesson, or at least maybe I'm just hoping Audi has improved on their QA.

One real potential is to simply wait a few years before buying a D5, but that's not really a definite answer to anything either. Time will tell with what I decide to do, but you're absolutely right that the D series Audi vehicles have been pretty solid (reliability wise) vehicles, despite not being high volume flagships.
I’m laughing as I write this—My wife read your above reply and said: “Tell him life is too short; just buy the damn car!” Gotta love that gal 😊
Old 10-29-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I’m laughing as I write this—My wife read your above reply and said: “Tell him life is too short; just buy the damn car!” Gotta love that gal 😊