A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Canada - change of underwriter, extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Audi Canada - change of underwriter, extended warranty

A public service announcement for any Canadians reading this.

Symtech is taking over from LGM as the aftermarket warranty underwriter as of November 1st, 2018 for Audi Canada - Mechanical breakdown protection

Most dealers don't even know this yet, and is news to me as of this morning.

iSelect Plus coverage was announced on January 2017 and is probably the one that will be sold to us as customers. Nothing official as of yet though.

Interesting changes. Hybrid components (other than the battery) and air struts, that used to not be covered by LGM is apparently covered by Symtech. Once I get more info on this I will share.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Symtech will be taking over all extended warranty contracts/packages effective November 1st.

I don't have the detailed T&Cs yet but a source has told me the air struts are still not covered. This is in direct contradiction to the verbiage I have found online from Symtech. The main concern I have right now is if you look at the BBB page for Symtech, it doesn't appear to be a very friendly company to deal with. That said, before any of you sign any agreements and/or legal documents, read it until your eyes bleed. Devil is in the details. I'll report back once I get more info.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Please find the MBP fine print for Audi Canada attached. This is with Symtech as the underwriter.

Looks like nothing changed as when LGM Canada was the underwriter. Shocks still not covered.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MBP FINE PRINT.PDF (2.37 MB, 264 views)
Old 11-02-2018, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After digesting this contract end to end, a few things here.

1) You are explicitly told that you may not do any work on your car, including oil changes and timing belt replacements (who does the latter themselves?!)
2) You must perform all maintenance as prescribed by Audi, at a mechanic of some sort.

Stuff like that which most people don't real is exactly what underwriters use to reject warranty claims. I don't see ANY of those provisions with MB Canada's extended warranty (because, well, they are the underwriters).

This hasn't made or broken my Audi D5 decision here, but thought I'd point it out. They are picky AF.

I can see this underwriter going...."wow, you changed your winter set of wheels over to your summers yourself, your new engine block replacement is denied".

Yeah, there's plenty of that going on with Symtech as per BBB. Ugh.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

MUST READ:

This is really REALLY important, and I only noticed this after I read a BBB complaint against Symtech. For those of you who are thinking about buying a D5 and buying additional warranty to drive this car for 8+ years, this is something that is critical and must not be overlooked as you weigh your decision.

Translated in English:

If 7 years from now, your D5 is worth $10,000, and you need a new engine and the cost of that repair is $11,000, then for that one visit, the maximum that they will pay out is $10,000.

Audi, cough Symtech, is now offering 10 year MBP policies, which is, as far as I can tell, a scam given that disclaimer above. Such terms do not exist with the old LGM Canada policy, or with say, Mercedes Benz ELW (extended limited warranty).

The other thing worth noting, and is not as important is that if you pay $90,000 for your car, then the total in payouts through this policy will not exceed $90,000 (original purchase price). That one is harder to hit, as a limit, of course.

For those of you that want the LGM T&Cs, just PM me.

Last edited by angrypengu; 11-03-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Update, or new things I have learned.

1) Audi Canada (or VGCI actually) is the new underwriter.
2) Symtech is the administrator.

No one at Audi knows f*** all about the details of the new contract and no one knows who can answer my legal questions. Symtech Canada is in the same boat.

What a disaster. That said, it is a bit reassuring to know that VGCI (Volkswagen Group Credit Incorporated) is the actual underwriter of the new warranty. So if we have an issue with the extended warranty, we (or I) am suing VGCI, or Volkswagen/Audi Canada.

Bring it on.