A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi MHEV battery concerns/upkeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

This is concerning. If you folks want to do more research on NMC/graphite battery longevity, there are a LOT of papers out there. This article states about 2000 charging cycles, which is in line with what I have read elsewhere. So key takeaway for me? Disable auto start stop for every drive. Less wear/tear on the battery.

https://www.designnews.com/materials...18340601859495

Last edited by angrypengu; 01-06-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Found the battery.

If you look at page 19 of the self study program (SSP), you'll see a closeup of the 48V battery.

It says:

VW AG
Made in Korea
LGC

So LG Chem makes the battery. Further research to follow.

Edit, also confirmed here: http://www.rnd.lgchem.com/global/lgc...ut/History2010 Under 2014: 08.Selected as a supplier of Li-ion battery for Audi’s(Volkswagen Group) next-generation plug-in hybrid vehicle (PHEV)
and micro hybrid vehicle (mHEV) model

So if you want to learn more, (I'll stop posting), google "LG Chem NMC battery" and there's a bunch of technical papers on their implementation, namely different battery chemistries. Looking at the SSP, it appears the 48V D5 battery utilizes 13 "pouch" cells, which, based on my perusal is of the "622 chemistry" design. Whatever that means.

Edit 2:

Here's everything you ever wanted to learn about LION batteries. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...of_lithium_ion

Edit 3:

Mercedes is using NMC batteries as well.

https://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-...lug-in-hybrid/
https://insideevs.com/mercedes-benz-...e-diesel-phev/

Last edited by angrypengu; 01-06-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
If you don’t mind, I’m going to forward your post to my dealer’s Service Director. I have a pretty good relationship with him, so I’d be curious if this is something that’s been discussed at their D5 training. In addition to battery longevity, I’m also somewhat concerned about the potential for battery combustion/fire if a “hot” car is left in a closed hot garage. Temps in my home’s garage can exceed 100 degrees (F) in the summer after my car has been driven for a long period and then left with the garage door closed. And those high garage temps last for hours when it’s really hot outside!!!
To answer your thermal runaway issue, it shouldn't be an issue. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...of_lithium_ion

That said temperature and depth of discharge are variables that impact cycle longevity, as per the above. So we need to keep the car as cool as possible, and disabling auto start stop may help.

I'd like to see if we enthusiasts can figure out a way to completely get rid of that crap (the 48V battery), like in the SQ7 (IIRC) application.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

The dealer’s service director got back to me and will find out what he can on these issues. Sounds like 410 degree (F) thermal runaway provides a proper safety margin (for my concerns). My contact did indicate that extreme cold temps (like in more extreme northern climates) could affect the LI-ion charging efficiency.

Yes, if there is a way to permanently turn off the stop/start function via VCDS, etc., then I’ll definitely pony up and buy that equipment. Probably other features/functions I’d want to personalize anyway.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
The dealer’s service director got back to me and will find out what he can on these issues. Sounds like 410 degree (F) thermal runaway provides a proper safety margin (for my concerns). My contact did indicate that extreme cold temps (like in more extreme northern climates) could affect the LI-ion charging efficiency.

Yes, if there is a way to permanently turn off the stop/start function via VCDS, etc., then I’ll definitely pony up and buy that equipment. Probably other features/functions I’d want to personalize anyway.
Absolutely.

The other piece that I need to figure out is if we can turn off the boost feature which is part of the BAS. I think it remains on even after disabling auto start stop, sadly and this would drain the 48v batt
Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@derfA8L did you hear back yet by any chance?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
@derfA8L did you hear back yet by any chance?
Nope.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So this topic has continued to be one that I've been working through. Initial thoughts to help with the longevity of the MHEV battery involve adding insulation to my garage doors and adding air conditioning, but that does appear to be a rather large initiative, mainly because I have to punch a hole in the exterior wall in order to vent the hot air.<br /><br />Don't laugh too hard at this idea, but bear with me here. The main concern I have is the temp in the garage on a really hot summer day, and as I mentioned upthread, it can hit close to 40-50'C which is really hot. As we know, heat kills batteries, so instead of going overboard with ideas such as the one above, why not buy/use a massive freezer ice pack? E.g. keep said ice pack in a top loading freezer, and after parking said car, put in the ice pack in the trunk, have a towel around it to deal with the condensation, and call it done?<br /><br />I'll full well admit this sounds like an incredibly stupid idea, but I figure that I can control the condensation using said towel, and a really large ice pack = should be able to help with temperatures for hours, at least in a sufficient enough manner to get from the max heat of noon time to sunset.

Thoughts and/or immediate concerns with my idea?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
So this topic has continued to be one that I've been working through. Initial thoughts to help with the longevity of the MHEV battery involve adding insulation to my garage doors and adding air conditioning, but that does appear to be a rather large initiative, mainly because I have to punch a hole in the exterior wall in order to vent the hot air.<br /><br />Don't laugh too hard at this idea, but bear with me here. The main concern I have is the temp in the garage on a really hot summer day, and as I mentioned upthread, it can hit close to 40-50'C which is really hot. As we know, heat kills batteries, so instead of going overboard with ideas such as the one above, why not buy/use a massive freezer ice pack? E.g. keep said ice pack in a top loading freezer, and after parking said car, put in the ice pack in the trunk, have a towel around it to deal with the condensation, and call it done?<br /><br />I'll full well admit this sounds like an incredibly stupid idea, but I figure that I can control the condensation using said towel, and a really large ice pack = should be able to help with temperatures for hours, at least in a sufficient enough manner to get from the max heat of noon time to sunset.

Thoughts and/or immediate concerns with my idea?
You're way overthinking this. You don't think Audi tested this for "car in garage" conditions?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston
You're way overthinking this. You don't think Audi tested this for "car in garage" conditions?
I don't really trust Audi with anything novel as Audi's track record with anything 'new' has been incredibly poor. I've had this discussion with a few other Audi members already.

Perhaps they have, or they have not, the fact remains that the thermal management systems stop running once the car is off, and that like every other automaker who should be using liquid cooling for the battery cells - don't, because of cost reasons. The other fact remains that temperature is what kills batteries and while I don't have any concerns of the battery performance in the cold as it has an internal combustion engine (vs say Teslas), the heat does concern me.

I mean, it's only $3800CAD a piece, and is not covered by warranty.....

But yes, you're probably right. I've just been burned by Audi's too many times, and yet, bought an A8 anyways. I'm clearly an idiot!

Quick Reply: Audi MHEV battery concerns/upkeep