A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carwow - A8 vs S-Class vs 7 series

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy

Now you’re conflating things and that is fine. B9 is a disaster? The sky is surely falling.

I own a B7 A4...143k Miles. Only ever had the timing belt done, 2 cam followers which I replaced as a pre-emptiness measure (look at many other first gen direct injection engines they mainly used cam followers). My 4th Audi to go over 125k. Similarly I had an 08 GTI - 152k on it, recently sold it. 4 cam followers on that car, original engine, but it also had larger turbo, injectors and tune.

So in your emgineering career you’ve yet to design a single multi component system like an engine that has had a single failure? Stunning.

Who makes your dish washer? Your tv, your laptop? The software on your laptop? The roof on your house?

Things created by man can and will break. That’s why we have warranties and insurance and rainyday funds

I did my research - and I put my money where my mouth is and own a car with said engine. If it fails, it won’t be my first engine failure in a car (it would however be the first Audi..this is my 10th).

The alternative is simply walking everywhere, which is fine too. But, even my leg(s) are subject to failure too at some point.
First you claim Audis are more reliable than MB, then you claim that all things will break, then you claim because your B7 is fine, thus all B7s are fine.

Are you for real? Here's a clue buddy. I owned a B7 A4. I ditched it after around 30,000 miles. It was the worst purchase I ever made.

Then again, you still aren't doing any research about the EA839 as suggested, and you probably still can't tell me what the M276 engine is that will be sold in 2018/2019 S classes and why that engine is any more or less reliable than the 839, let alone what is cool in the 839 (to me the oil air separator is cool, but it's taken Audi 10 years to finally build that into a gasoline engine).

You can't be for real here. I never once made the claim that I can make something that will not fail. That IS NOT THE POINT HERE. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Holy moly.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
First you claim Audis are more reliable than MB, then you claim that all things will break, then you claim because your B7 is fine, thus all B7s are fine.

Are you for real? Here's a clue buddy. I owned a B7 A4. I ditched it after around 30,000 miles. It was the worst purchase I ever made.

Then again, you still aren't doing any research about the EA839 as suggested, and you probably still can't tell me what the M276 engine is that will be sold in 2018/2019 S classes and why that engine is any more or less reliable than the 839, let alone what is cool in the 839 (to me the oil air separator is cool, but it's taken Audi 10 years to finally build that into a gasoline engine).

You can't be for real here. I never once made the claim that I can make something that will not fail. That IS NOT THE POINT HERE. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Holy moly.

your reading comprehension is attocious

show me where I mentioned the Mercedes reliability here? It seems like you’re simply looking to argue for argument sake. I mentioned it’s stereo...that’s all.

no you made the claim that in your infinite wisdom as an automotive engineer that the “new” V6 single turbo (in production since 2016) is atrocious. One could extrapolate those two statements easily to deduce that you, in your engineering wisdom, have only ever designed things. with 100% success rates.

You decided to trot out past Audi engines. I simply replied with my own annecdotal experience. similar tp what anyone posting about their failed B9 S4/S5 etc engine is doing I might add.

I’m sorry your A4 was the worst purchase you ever made. I have loved mine and it still serves as my runabout “beater” car if you will. Which further illustrates my point that, machines can break. It also further illustrates my point about just about everything in life - cars or otherwise. your experience, which in this case is none as you don’t own said engine, can vary, sometimes significantly, to others. I also happily enjoy the new car too and if it breaks, I have a warranty to cover me. Unlike when the engine failed in some of the other cars I’ve owned thus far. You win some, you lose some. My Audi’s, thus far in life, have been the best overall cars I’ve owned, and I’ve put significant miles on 4 of the 10 thus far. Other cars were less than reliable. And others still, I just didn’t like enough to keep them long enough to truly test reliability as it’s typically thought of. Once again, you win some, you lose some. It’s no deeper to me, than that.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

your reading comprehension is attocious

show me where I mentioned the Mercedes reliability here? It seems like you’re simply looking to argue for argument sake. I mentioned it’s stereo...that’s all.

no you made the claim that in your infinite wisdom as an automotive engineer that the “new” V6 single turbo (in production since 2016) is atrocious. One could extrapolate those two statements easily to deduce that you, in your engineering wisdom, have only ever designed things. with 100% success rates.

I’m sorry your A4 was the worst purchase you ever made. I have loved mine and it still serves as my runabout “beater” car if you will. Which further illustrates my point that, machines can break. It also further illustrates my point about just about everything in life - cars or otherwise. your experience, which in this case is none as you don’t own said engine, can vary, sometimes significantly, to others. I also happily enjoy the new car too and if it breaks, I have a warranty to cover me. Unlike when the engine failed in some of the other cars I’ve owned thus far. You win some, you lose some. My Audi’s, thus far in life, have been the best overall cars I’ve owned, and I’ve put significant miles on 4 of the 10 thus far. Other cars were less than reliable. And others still, I just didn’t like enough to keep them long enough to truly test reliability as it’s typically thought of. Once again, you win some, you lose some. It’s no deeper to me, than that.
Have a nice day. I would urge you put your money where your mouth is and buy a 2019/2020 Audi A8. End of discussion.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have a nice day. I would urge you put your money where your mouth is and buy a 2019/2020 Audi A8. End of discussion.
I have no use at this point for such a car at this point, it’s too large, for me. But the same engine resides in my S4

Old 09-06-2018, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have no use at this point for such a car at this point, it’s too large, for me. But the same engine resides in my S4

And this one post sums it all up on oh so many fronts.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And this one post sums it all up on oh so many fronts.
yes because I’ve put said money forward, as opposed to, say, playing guessing games on reliability based on a dozen or so internet posts (relative to tens of thousands of engines currently in use)

and if it breaks, it sucks, but it’s warrantied

a town car sounds perfect for you - they are tried and true at this point

Last edited by SCarGuy; 09-06-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes because I’ve put said money forward, as opposed to, say, playing guessing games on reliability based on a dozen or so internet posts (relative to tens of thousands of engines currently in use)

and if it brakes, it sucks, but it’s warrantied

a town car sounds perfect for you - they are tried and true at this point

By the way it's "breaks", not "brakes". See ya troll.

PS AoA just issued a technical bulletin on this very issue in the EA839 engine. You may want to take a read :-)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Im enjoying a day off today so replying via my phone. Oh well.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

PS AoA just issued a technical bulletin on this very issue in the EA839 engine. You may want to take a read :-)
I work for the brand, but thanks mr engineer. Out of curiousity do you know how many TSB’s are issued annually just for cars sold in the US? The last TSB I read was about a label of some sort and another about the changeover to not using the rear “s” badging on calipers. I’ll have to look in elsa and see. So far, zero issues with my personal one, or client cars,
fwiw.

I do not believe in putting down one product for the sake of artificially propping up another. It’s bad form. MB, BMW, and others make fine automobiles, and some are better than others, both now, and throughout time. I have owned each of them, and more. Some I’ve kept, some I’ve gotten out of early. Some broke, some didn’t.

I chose to work for them because in my car ownership tenure thus far in life, across tons of brands, I liked their cars, and my ownership experience, the best.

Issues happen, machines break. And life goes on

Last edited by SCarGuy; 09-06-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Latest one! I've been saying this for a while but the S class's cost cutting is apparent to those that care. That said on the D5 the acoustic glass is an optional extra in the UK. No idea if that was fitted with it.

Last edited by angrypengu; 04-27-2021 at 06:10 AM.