A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally - D5 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Finally - D5 Test Drive

Brought my D4 in for downpipe vibration issue diagnosis today, and my sales rep says let’s go for a ride—he wanted to test drive it also!!!! Test Drive was on uneven back roads with tight curves, as well as on a main 45 mph roadway — no highway driving. Observations:

- Very windy day here on eastern Long Island...Interior cabin was quiet—Very quiet, no road or wind noise. No creaks or squeaks. As noted in another post, car was equipped with the Pirelli noise reducing tires.

- V6 was smooth and powerful enough, but my sales rep and I noted that it lacked some off the line presence. My opinion hasn’t changed after my test drive: I still want the twin turbo V8 in this car. Overall, however, the V6 will be more than fine for many, especially for “local” driving needs.

- The active suspension is a big step up from my D4’s ride. Felt smoother in both comfort and dynamic modes ( perhaps new tires vs. my D4’s shoes with 26k miles had some effect here, to some degree). Switching drive select modes was virtually instantaneous compared with my D4. Car was tight in curves—and that without dynamic all wheel steering or sport rear axle. Can only imagine how the predictive active suspension would feel.

- MMI touch screen: Full disclosure— I still prefer some buttons, but could easily come around to the touch screens. Would still prefer to have the seat massage controls on the lower seat frame, but the ability to get to the touch screen seat controls is easy enough once you get used to it. Ability to variably distribute seat heating to seat bottom and seat back is very nice to have. Will have to spend more time playing with the MMI screens, but am more positive about the change from buttons/dials than before. Haptic response was fast enough for me and I do prefer to have the haptic “click”.

- B&O Premium sound system sounded very good to my ear. Not sure why there are comments about a lack of bass presence, but I didn’t find this an issue—For me, at least, there was plenty of bass. I didn’t listen to the system from the back seat, but bass presence, 3-D surround and overall music quality was very good, and I couldn’t see investing in the “Advanced” system when the time comes. Pretty sure the optional setup will sound better, but I couldn’t find anything lacking for me with the base system.

Bottom line: Albeit a delayed and lousy launch of this new D5, Audi did a very good job of improving the A8 from the prior D4 generation on multiple fronts. The ride quality, IMO, is likely second to none at this point now, and may well be the best comfort/sport luxury ride blend compared to MB and BMW D-Class lines. Now, please just bring over the twin-turbo V8!!!

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-10-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Thanks OP! Been waiting for your review for some time.

Yes, I stand by my comments that the Premium sound system was mediocre when it comes to oomph. I was listening to
- after the 1 min mark to be precise. I'm perhaps too picky. That said, Top 40 songs as well to me also lacked oomph (heavy bass songs did not have the depth I was looking for - another poster shared my thoughts on this as well).

On Monday, I will be listening to the Advanced 3D sound system in the D5 for an hour or so. On Tuesday, I'll have the D5 A8 I first test drove for 24 hours as a further test drive. I'll try my best to do a comparison of both systems in my thread comparing the A8.

That said, do you know something I don't re: suspension? There should not be any forms of active suspension in any D5 A8 in N. America at this point. They are all on passive air springs with no sense of intelligence/prediction.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thanks OP! Been waiting for your review for some time.

Yes, I stand by my comments that the Premium sound system was mediocre when it comes to oomph. I was listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I - after the 1 min mark to be precise. I'm perhaps too picky. That said, Top 40 songs as well to me also lacked oomph (heavy bass songs did not have the depth I was looking for - another poster shared my thoughts on this as well).

On Monday, I will be listening to the Advanced 3D sound system in the D5 for an hour or so. On Tuesday, I'll have the D5 A8 I first test drove for 24 hours as a further test drive. I'll try my best to do a comparison of both systems in my thread comparing the A8.

That said, do you know something I don't re: suspension? There should not be any forms of active suspension in any D5 A8 in N. America at this point. They are all on passive air springs with no sense of intelligence/prediction.
I’m no audiophile, so I’m less picky when it comes to sound systems. This is a very subjective area, so there will be differing opinions on this. Will be interested if you feel the Advanced system and loss of spare tire are worth a $5,900 MSRP premium.

The A8 air suspension is indeed an active system. It actively adjusts itself, particularly in Auto mode where it adjusts to driving dynamics between comfort and dynamic modes. It also adjusts ride trim angle, based on road elevations and weight distribution in the vehicle—like rear seat passengers and trunk weight. While not actively adjusting to road imperfections like the Predictive Active Suspension will, it is by no means a “static” suspension.

Last edited by derfA8L; 11-10-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

I’m no audiophile, so I’m less picky when it comes to sound systems. This is a very subjective area, so there will be differing opinions on this. Will be interested if you feel the Advanced sulystem and loss I’d spare tire are worth a $5,900 MSRP premium.

The A8 air suspension is indeed an active system. It actively adjusts itself, particularly in Auto mode where it adjusts to driving dynamics between comfort and dynamic modes. It also adjusts tide trim angle, based on road elevations and weight distribution in the vehicle—like rear seat passengers and trunk weight. While not actively adjusting to road imperfections like the Predictive Active Suspension will, it is by no means a “static” suspension.
Oh, I see re: the suspension. I guess I looked at the term "active suspension" in a different manner. You're absolutely right. In my mind "active" = "predictive", but that's perhaps the wrong way to look at this.

Re: B&O Advanced 3D sound system vs: Premium. Please note in the A6, going to the Advanced 3D sound system does mean you lose the spare tire; however, this is not the case in the A8. I will share my thoughts by mid of next week in regards to the two, and trust me when I say that I hope the difference isn't that large so I can save $5K. I also do not believe it will be that large of a difference given the fact all of the additional speakers are in the rear seat, but the Advanced sound system is double the wattage (I abhor comparing anything by way of wattage), but just listing a fact.

I'll be sure to report back. I wish the A8 had the overhead speakers like on the LS500 and the S class, but I guess we can't have it all, even when paying $100K+ for a car.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh, I see re: the suspension. I guess I looked at the term "active suspension" in a different manner. You're absolutely right. In my mind "active" = "predictive", but that's perhaps the wrong way to look at this.

Re: B&O Advanced 3D sound system vs: Premium. Please note in the A6, going to the Advanced 3D sound system does mean you lose the spare tire; however, this is not the case in the A8. I will share my thoughts by mid of next week in regards to the two, and trust me when I say that I hope the difference isn't that large so I can save $5K. I also do not believe it will be that large of a difference given the fact all of the additional speakers are in the rear seat, but the Advanced sound system is double the wattage (I abhor comparing anything by way of wattage), but just listing a fact.

I'll be sure to report back. I wish the A8 had the overhead speakers like on the LS500 and the S class, but I guess we can't have it all, even when paying $100K+ for a car.
Will be very interested in your B&O system comparative review. Check the spare tire well on the D5 with the Advanced system—just to be sure 😉

Good taste in music — Holst’s The Planets is one of my favorite go-tos, although I’d rather test the two sound systems with Jupiter, Bringer if Jolity than with Mars, Bringer of War— has more variation to better take a system through its paces. Mars does, however, get you a ton of low-end “oomph” to test. 😃

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...315?i=80176334
Old 11-10-2018, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Will be very interested in your B&O system comparative review. Check the spare tire well on the D5 with the Advanced system—just to be sure 😉

Good taste in music — Holst’s The Planets is one of my favorite go-tos, although I’d rather test the two sound systems with Jupiter, Bringer if Jolity than with Mars, Bringer of War— has more variation to better take a system through its paces. Mars does, however, get you a ton of low-end “oomph” to test. 😃

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...315?i=80176334
Ah yes, a very good point! Yes, I chose Mars on purpose because the main concern with the D4 A8's B&O system was the complete lack of any decent bass. I despise Bose for anything other than the QuietComfort headphones as I've flown over a million miles on planes, but I must say the Bose system > the B&O system for real world listening (e.g. anything other than concert hall/symphonies etc) in the D4. Thus, I immediately jumped to songs that tested bass depth and clarity. I know we've spoken at length about these two sound systems, and IMHO the Premium 3D sound system's high and mid range was fantastic. I have no concerns that there are any missing "parts" up front. It appears to me the major difference for mid/high end up front is simply the pop out tweeters in the Advanced 3D sound system, and even I place 0 value on the gimmickyness of that!

Given your familiarity and suggestions re: Holst's music, now I know you are an audiophile

And yes, I will absolutely check. Every Youtube video I have seen re: the spare tire and the Advanced system does indeed illustrate the fact we don't lose the spare. If mine magically does not have the spare, I'm not getting the Advanced 3D sound system!! Because (this may shock many), the only reason I'm not looking at a fully loaded A6 instead is because I lose the spare with the Advanced system there.

Yes, $20,000 just to have a spare.... (of course, there are some other reasons I'm going to the A8, but I'm not really joking here that one main reason I'm looking at the A8 is because of the spare). (yeah, even I feel like a doofus for saying that).
Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...If mine magically does not have the spare, I'm not getting the Advanced 3D sound system!! Because (this may shock many), the only reason I'm not looking at a fully loaded A6 instead is because I lose the spare with the Advanced system there.

Yes, $20,000 just to have a spare.... (of course, there are some other reasons I'm going to the A8, but I'm not really joking here that one main reason I'm looking at the A8 is because of the spare). (yeah, even I feel like a doofus for saying that).
Seriosly LOL😂😂😂

BTW, Audiophile in terms of music selection, perhaps. Not so much regarding equipment. 😜
Old 11-11-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I’m no audiophile, so I’m less picky when it comes to sound systems. This is a very subjective area, so there will be differing opinions on this. Will be interested if you feel the Advanced system and loss of spare tire are worth a $5,900 MSRP premium.

My D5 has the B&O Advanced System in it and the spare tire remains. Apparently that's an issue in the new A6 & A7 but is not in the D5.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gb4.2
My D5 has the B&O Advanced System in it and the spare tire remains. Apparently that's an issue in the new A6 & A7 but is not in the D5.
What D5? You got a D5? You never posted pics, so it doesn’t officially exist! 🤨
Old 11-11-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Frankly, the weather here in PA has prevented me from taking any good photos! Rain or snow every day since I took delivery. I'll be able to take some good pics of it on Tuesday/Wednesday this week as it'll be completely detailed before getting its full front-end covered in PPF.

Quick Reply: Finally - D5 Test Drive