A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm...Maybe NOT a D5 A8L this time around???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Hmmm...Maybe NOT a D5 A8L this time around???

It's possible Audi may have lost me after seeing the new Porsche Cayenne Coupe! The A8L and Cayenne Coupe are obviously totally different cars with different missions, but the Cayenne Coupe is intriguing. Essentially the same V6 turbo as in the D5, but looks to have less torque than the Audi version--unfortunately. The $130K+ Turbo model is well beyond where I'd be willing to go, but the base V6 version is well priced IMO. Will have to get a test drive as soon as demos arrive at dealers to see what's what. The D5 may ultimately win out, but...

Old 04-04-2019, 06:58 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Why not Q8?
Old 04-05-2019, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Why not Q8?
Not a fan of how Audi executed the Q8 interior— IMO, they “cheaped out” on it. Also have questions about the Q8’s front end design— Just have mixed feelings about it. Having said all this, I plan to do final back-to-back test drives of the Cayenne Coupe, the Q8, and the A8L before deciding.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:49 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Not a fan of how Audi executed the Q8 interior— IMO, they “cheaped out” on it. Also have questions about the Q8’s front end design— Just have mixed feelings about it. Having said all this, I plan to do final back-to-back test drives of the Cayenne Coupe, the Q8, and the A8L before deciding.
I guess it's possible they "cheaped out" on the Q8 to retain the A8 as their flagship and also to meet the pricepoint that doesn't put the Q8 on the moon.
The A8 has always had the best interior, however the new designs all seem pretty similar to me.
Q8

A8
Old 04-05-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I guess it's possible they "cheaped out" on the Q8 to retain the A8 as their flagship and also to meet the pricepoint that doesn't put the Q8 on the moon.
The A8 has always had the best interior, however the new designs all seem pretty similar to me.
The designs are similar but I agree with derfA8L - there's something missing in the execution of the Q8. The front-end isn't really attractive and the interior didn't impress me when I sat in two of them. The vehicle is much lower to the ground than I expected as well. Interior is too similar to the A6 (had a new one as a loaner when my D4 A8 was in the shop last month with blown turbos - I had to pop the hood to confirm it indeed had a 6-cylinder engine, as it felt and drove like a go-cart). There was no obvious fit-and-finish or better materials in the Q8 vs. the A6, which I expected for the ~$30k difference in price between the two. I think Audi is going to have a problem going forward as there is virtually no interior difference between an A6, A7, A8, Q8 (and likely the Q7 soon as well). Why pay $20-30k-40k more for the exact same thing that's in a lower model? There's no obvious differentiation anymore. And don't get me started on a $90k+ price tag for a Q8 with a turbo'd V6. I think we are starting to see the Diesel-gate results showing up in the new Audis. They're trying to keep price points and margins up with cheaper materials and finishes - no thanks. I've enjoyed my two Audis, at least when they haven't been at the dealer for extended times for one fix or another, but I'm moving on shortly.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:05 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston
There was no obvious fit-and-finish or better materials in the Q8 vs. the A6, which I expected for the ~$30k difference in price between the two. I think Audi is going to have a problem going forward as there is virtually no interior difference between an A6, A7, A8, Q8 (and likely the Q7 soon as well). Why pay $20-30k-40k more for the exact same thing that's in a lower model? There's no obvious differentiation anymore. And don't get me started on a $90k+ price tag for a Q8 with a turbo'd V6. I think we are starting to see the Diesel-gate results showing up in the new Audis. They're trying to keep price points and margins up with cheaper materials and finishes - no thanks. I've enjoyed my two Audis, at least when they haven't been at the dealer for extended times for one fix or another, but I'm moving on shortly.
I have to agree with your final points. It is a shame really....
Old 04-05-2019, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

The designs are similar but I agree with derfA8L - there's something missing in the execution of the Q8. The front-end isn't really attractive and the interior didn't impress me when I sat in two of them. The vehicle is much lower to the ground than I expected as well. Interior is too similar to the A6 (had a new one as a loaner when my D4 A8 was in the shop last month with blown turbos - I had to pop the hood to confirm it indeed had a 6-cylinder engine, as it felt and drove like a go-cart). There was no obvious fit-and-finish or better materials in the Q8 vs. the A6, which I expected for the ~$30k difference in price between the two. I think Audi is going to have a problem going forward as there is virtually no interior difference between an A6, A7, A8, Q8 (and likely the Q7 soon as well). Why pay $20-30k-40k more for the exact same thing that's in a lower model? There's no obvious differentiation anymore. And don't get me started on a $90k+ price tag for a Q8 with a turbo'd V6. I think we are starting to see the Diesel-gate results showing up in the new Audis. They're trying to keep price points and margins up with cheaper materials and finishes - no thanks. I've enjoyed my two Audis, at least when they haven't been at the dealer for extended times for one fix or another, but I'm moving on shortly.
Opinions are important, and I never want to take away from anyone's opinion. All I can state is my own.

1) Audi A6s here in Canada do not have the option for dual pane glass. This makes a big difference.
2) Audi A6s with the 23 speaker B&O system do not have a spare tire, due to limited trunk space.
3) I prefer the fact that the A8L is super discreet. No one notices it. To me, this is a plus, not a minus.

Above all of this, the extended wheelbase for the A8 lends to the #1 reason why I bought it: Extreme comfort, and extreme quietness.

To each their own, so to say!

The Q8 has a cheaper interior, no doubt. I was surprised, VERY surprised actually so I agree that with @derfA8L 's comments that the Porsche may be a better fit. That said the ride with the Porsches are not on par with the A8L. (speaking on the Cayenne only which I have driven). It really depends on what one is seeking at the end of the day.

We are all lucky to be able to afford these high end cars. I just hope everyone is happy with their decision, whatever that may be!
Old 04-05-2019, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Opinions are important, and I never want to take away from anyone's opinion. All I can state is my own.

1) Audi A6s here in Canada do not have the option for dual pane glass. This makes a big difference.
2) Audi A6s with the 23 speaker B&O system do not have a spare tire, due to limited trunk space.
3) I prefer the fact that the A8L is super discreet. No one notices it. To me, this is a plus, not a minus.
I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the things you pointed out are nothing obvious that anyone can easily see. I had a 2012 A6 Prestige - loaded with everything but B&O sound system. It was a great car, except for the seats which eventually gave me back pain. I upgraded to a 2015 NWB A8. As soon as I sat in it, I knew it was better than the A6 in almost every way. The cockpit setup, extended leather package, air suspension, the Valcona leather on the seats, the massaging seats, etc. That was then. I've sat in the new Q8 and driven a brand new A6 for a week while the blown turbos in my A8 were repaired by the dealer (and the new A6 seats also gave me back pain) - other than slightly better leather and a slightly more comfortable seat in the Q8, there isn't a damn bit of difference in the interior and driver's setup, certainly not $30k worth. I'm sure the D5 A8 is better, but I think Audi has miscalculated by putting the exact same two-screen interface in virtually every car. It removes the distinctiveness and cachet from the upper-level models. They should have made more tech exclusive to the A8/Q8, and maybe the A7, and made those cars more aspirational. I really expected more out of the Q8 and was disappointed when I finally got to sit in one - it's not bad, its just missing something especially given the price tag. Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the things you pointed out are nothing obvious that anyone can easily see. I had a 2012 A6 Prestige - loaded with everything but B&O sound system. It was a great car, except for the seats which eventually gave me back pain. I upgraded to a 2015 NWB A8. As soon as I sat in it, I knew it was better than the A6 in almost every way. The cockpit setup, extended leather package, air suspension, the Valcona leather on the seats, the massaging seats, etc. That was then. I've sat in the new Q8 and driven a brand new A6 for a week while the blown turbos in my A8 were repaired by the dealer (and the new A6 seats also gave me back pain) - other than slightly better leather and a slightly more comfortable seat in the Q8, there isn't a damn bit of difference in the interior and driver's setup, certainly not $30k worth. I'm sure the D5 A8 is better, but I think Audi has miscalculated by putting the exact same two-screen interface in virtually every car. It removes the distinctiveness and cachet from the upper-level models. They should have made more tech exclusive to the A8/Q8, and maybe the A7, and made those cars more aspirational. I really expected more out of the Q8 and was disappointed when I finally got to sit in one - it's not bad, its just missing something especially given the price tag. Just my opinion.
Fair points. I would suspect the Q8 gets to get away with a lot of the things they are getting away with because of customer preference (towards SUVs). Why doll it up as well as the A8 if people will continue to buy it for $X if they can cut corners where possible? When I first got into the Q8, I immediately noticed the cheap trim items, and fake leather dashboard, the cheaper quality seat trims etc.

That said, re: A6/A7/A8 interiors. You have a point but it is worth noting that the interior streamlining (and exterior streamlining for that matter) is something that is not specific to Audi. BMW and Mercedes all do it. When I had the entry and mid level versions of these cars I used to be happy about that. "e.g. I'm saving $30K by having this one as opposed to the flagship". I personally haven't now looked at the same issue going "wow, I'm paying $30K more for this?". I'm not stating that it's not a fair point, just that it's not a point for me, that's all.

I don't necessarily think that people who buy a D5 necessarily look at the price tag. I'm not leasing either (have never), and while the D5 is an expensive car, I'm not too concerned about the $30K premium. I'm also in a single person household, so I don't even need the car to be as large as it is. That said, I get that "to each their own" is the right approach here, though.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's my take on it...

The market is changing. Have you sat in a Tesla Model S? Horrible seats, awful material quality, the same huge gimmicky screen (with "fart" noise features), and a whole host of other software-based tech features. Fully-loaded, it eclipses the nicest A8L in price, but leaves a lot to be desired. And yet, people flock to those cars - at least in California. Where those people see status symbol, I see thoughtlessness when selecting a vehicle. To each their own, but that is, to me, a sign that market demographics are changing.

This brings us to the bean counters at the big three German luxury brands: they likely figure, why spend money on upscale materials and luxury features that require clever interior hardware/wiring/engineering, when you can capture the market by adding endless amounts of screens with gimmicky software features? That's where I see all these cars going. To be frank - I'm thrilled that my D4 doesn't have an "app connection" where I can remotely turn on/off the car, adjust settings, etc. I'm by no means paranoid, but when I get in the D4, with the "design selection" interior, it just feels super upscale, comfortable, and well thought out - just an awesome place to spend a couple of hours of my life every day. I'd rather see a luxury brand spend time on those things, than customized software from partnerships with general vendors such as NVidia or QNX.

Disclaimer: I'm in my early thirties and seem to be an outlier when it comes to drooling over software tech. I also haven't driven the D5 yet, so this isn't targeted at that specifically, but the general market direction regarding interiors and tech.

Quick Reply: Hmmm...Maybe NOT a D5 A8L this time around???