A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Phone from Inductive Charging Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hot Phone from Inductive Charging Unit

While the inductive charging pad in the D5 (under the front armrests) had been very effective over the first 60 or so days, in January, my phone is became very hot after even relatively short charging periods on the pad. It becomes so hot that the phone (iPhone X) displays a warning that advises that it's become too hot to use and needs to cool off before using. This now happens consistently. I use a relatively thin leather Sena case on my phone so I removed it to determine if the phone still became overheated w/o the case. It did. My son has the same iPhone X model and his also overheated in the same manner with or w/o his leather case (Apple case) on the phone. My Audi technician looked into this with Audi and told me that it's a "known issue" and that the problem is that the phone is "sliding" or moving on the inductive charging pad's surface. This supposedly creates a sporadic connection to the charging pad which causes the overheating. Their "fix" is some kind of kit that positions the phone on the pad's surface so that it doesn't move around--the kit is on order from Audi and I'm awaiting its arrival. The issues I have with this "fix" are:
  • It doesn't explain why the charging pad worked well for the first 2 months without overheating our phones.
  • My driving is mostly on the Interstates at constant speed with no hard cornering or stop/go traffic situations that would cause the phone to slide or move on the pad.
  • The surface of the pad has decent grip to it that makes it difficult for the phone to move around unless it's a very hard braking situation.
Does anyone else out there with the D5 have this experience with the inductive charging pad?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

No but I’ve had other issues with iPhones since IOS 12.0, 12.1, 12.1.1, 12.1.2 have been released. My wife and have both had to replace iPhone 6s due to connectivity issues that occurred after these updates. Google it, there is lots of info out there.) I wonder if your issue is related to operating system updates not being compatible with Audi’s wireless charging dock? I use an aftermarket wireless charging mount in my S5 with my iPhone XR. No issues does not get warm at all.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had the same issue, but it only happened once. Same overheated message and all. Keep me posted!
Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clintonm9
I have had the same issue, but it only happened once. Same overheated message and all. Keep me posted!
I will update this thread as soon as I have any new information or Audi's solution in hand.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
No but I’ve had other issues with iPhones since IOS 12.0, 12.1, 12.1.1, 12.1.2 have been released. My wife and have both had to replace iPhone 6s due to connectivity issues that occurred after these updates. Google it, there is lots of info out there.) I wonder if your issue is related to operating system updates not being compatible with Audi’s wireless charging dock? I use an aftermarket wireless charging mount in my S5 with my iPhone XR. No issues does not get warm at all.
You have me wondering as well. Both my phone and my son's phone are running the current iOS version--12.1.3. I know that in November (and likely December), our phones were running an earlier iOS version. If Audi's solution (parts to stabilize the phone's position on the charging surface) doesn't work, then it could point to the iOS as a possible culprit.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
You have me wondering as well. Both my phone and my son's phone are running the current iOS version--12.1.3. I know that in November (and likely December), our phones were running an earlier iOS version. If Audi's solution (parts to stabilize the phone's position on the charging surface) doesn't work, then it could point to the iOS as a possible culprit.
Would seem unlikely to me to be a software issue.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

"Centering" kit from Audi arrived today and was installed. It consists of 4 L-shaped corner pieces of black plastic that have a slim positioning stake on the bottom of each. They fit into each corner of the charging surface and reduce the amount of surface space the charging area has. My iPhone X will not fit in the remaining space without removing a slim-fit leather case. It fits snugly from side-to-side w/o the case on it. Any phone that's wider than an iPhone X will not fit with these 4 corner pieces installed.

Audi is saying that phones need to be centered on the charging surface--if they're off-center, phones will heat up. However, the 4 corner pieces do not "center" the phone front-to-back...only from side-to-side. My phone can be moved forward or back so that it's no longer truly "centered".

Will be on a business trip next week and will see if these centering pieces work or not. I'm skeptical but will report back.

BTW---This centering kit is for ALL 2019 Audi's equipped with the inductive charging unit, not just the A8L.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Old 02-08-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I suppose the next logical question would be: can a phone be charged with a connection to the car’s internal antenna and music interface with the phone plugged in one of the center console USB ports?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 786 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I suppose the next logical question would be: can a phone be charged with a connection to the car’s internal antenna and music interface with the phone plugged in one of the center console USB ports?
Android Auto would require a cable so methinks yes.

Quick Reply: Hot Phone from Inductive Charging Unit