A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Phone from Inductive Charging Unit

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Android Auto would require a cable so methinks yes.
Yeah, I should have connected the dots on this before I asked the question — Why else would they be selling the port installed cable combo set-up? Duh! 🤪
Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove 50 miles yesterday and my phone overheated again. Interesting idea that the position matters. I will try and test around with that, but I could see where you place the phone might make a difference.

I also think the wireless charging seems like it charges pretty slow. Haven't calculated it yet, but what do you all think?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clintonm9
I drove 50 miles yesterday and my phone overheated again. Interesting idea that the position matters. I will try and test around with that, but I could see where you place the phone might make a difference.

I also think the wireless charging seems like it charges pretty slow. Haven't calculated it yet, but what do you all think?
Actually, when I first started using the wireless charger in November, I felt that it charged my phone rather quickly. The phone became a bit warm but not hot. Seemed to work well through December but then overheated our phones in January. I'm on a business trip now and only briefly used the charger today--the phone became warm but it wasn't a good test....not long enough to really prove that the positioning kit really solved the issue. More to come later this week.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by Noggy_Allrad
Looks like Audi released TSB 2053916/1 in regards to this issue.
Can you please share what the gist of it says?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just returned from my business trip...my phone didn't overheat to the point of a message appearing on it that it needed to cool off before being used--but it did become quite warm....much warmer than I remember from November/December usage. (This is with the 4 piece plastic corner kit that centers the iPhone X from side-to-side.) Will need to continue to use it to determine if this is a true solution to the overheating.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by gb4.2
Just returned from my business trip...my phone didn't overheat to the point of a message appearing on it that it needed to cool off before being used--but it did become quite warm....much warmer than I remember from November/December usage. (This is with the 4 piece plastic corner kit that centers the iPhone X from side-to-side.) Will need to continue to use it to determine if this is a true solution to the overheating.
Having been an inductive charger user for years, this is "normal". The 5W inductive charger on the D5 doesn't help either, as while these charge phones quicker, they also cause phones to be warmer and thus, the battery lifespan to be shorter.

There is nothing better than charging a phone via a USB cable, FWIW.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Can you please share what the gist of it says?
Attached is Audi's TSB #2053916 on this issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A911936.pdf (116.3 KB, 847 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you share a picture of the new 4 pieces that are holding your phone center?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Attached are 2 pics:

1. First one shows the 4 corner pieces as installed on the charging surface.
2. Second one shows one of the pieces removed so you can see the slim wedge piece that fits along the side of the rubber pad. It's not obvious looking at the charging surface, but there's a seam where the wedge portion fits along the sides.

4 corner pieces installed

Removed one corner piece to show its slim wedge bottom section
Old 03-13-2021, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This Youtube video explains the problem rather thoroughly.

Quick Reply: Hot Phone from Inductive Charging Unit