A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you tint your Audi A8, don't roll down the window

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 780 Likes on 572 Posts
Default If you tint your Audi A8, don't roll down the window

I apologize as I had made a thread about this, and then deleted it. I have, now, confirmed, that due to the way the window is designed (the interior side of the track of the window frame), that if you tint your windows, you WILL scratch them if you open it. The only fix for this is to add some sort of moleskin lining (based on my research).

Just a polite public service announcement here.

After 40 or so hours of product testing, I can in fact confirm that despite overwhelming public opinion that if tint is scratched that you cannot repair it, well, you can.

For those that do not know (I didn't know prior to my extensive research), tint is just mylar plastic. The key to fixing scratched tint (or reducing the eyesoreness of the tint), is to lightly buff out the scratch, and to fill the scratch with optically sound filler.

Meguires had two plastic detailing products, namely No 10 and No 17, IIRC in the professional line. One was a filler, and the other was a mild abrasive. After spending all weekend trying to find it, I gave up as nowhere carried them, and settled on the one product that I was hesitant to use, namely:
Amazon Amazon

I was very hesitant to use this as it flat out states that there are abrasive particles. After testing it out on some leftover film (much to my bewilderment that in testing this stuff actually worked), I tried it on my ceramic film. It made the scratches much less noticeable (although obviously still there). Since my tint person decided to redo the tint anyways, I continued opening/closing the window several times, and now have vertical scratch marks on the film (to confirm my statement above about not opening windows if you tint it).

For full disclosure, I have/had the Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic Film by Llumar. This stuff isn't cheap, so I doubt it's the film.

Also, Plastx works wonders on the black panel architecture in the D5 (all that black plastic trim - yes, it scratches if you look at it funny, but it's easy to fix with the above product)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

So what is scratching the tint exactly? Something plastic in the door or is it metal? Won't whatever that is eventually scratch the glass too?
Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gk1
So what is scratching the tint exactly? Something plastic in the door or is it metal? Won't whatever that is eventually scratch the glass too?
The inner track of the window is rubber, probably due to noise related insulation properties. It's tiny rocks or dust or pebbles that scratches the tint as the window opens or closes.

It's common on Audi cars and apparently BMW's too. These particles aren't hard enough to scratch glass but it is hard enough to scratch tint.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've been thinking about this issue at length this morning. Looking to get some thoughts from the community here.

The issue that we (and several other Audi models) face is that due to the interior side track/guide of our window frames, the rubber essentially collects dirt/grit, and as the window opens and closes, vertical scratch lines form. There are typically two solutions.

1) Cut out the inner rubber 'seal'/guide (not appetizing for me)
2) Install window felt/moleskin. This requires a removal of the entire door trim, which while I have the instructions to do so, does not really appeal to me.

Conversely, the only other alternative is to never open the window. I just realized this morning that if/when the car battery needs replacing, that the workshop instructions include a step that apparently "must" be done - and this means opening/closing the window. So I'm sitting here going: "crap".

Having played with that interior rubber seal/guide, you can take a credit card or drywall applicator (those plastic things, whatever they are called) and you can carefully push the guide out of the way. So here I was thinking, well, what if (hear me out), we applied paint protection film to the inside of the window (e.g over the tint?) By prying the rubber guide out of the way during the install, we can install the PPF while the window remains closed. Ultimately, that means that future opening/closing of the window would 'scratch' the PPF, which isn't a big deal as it's self healing and you'd never be able to see it because the colouring part (e.g. the tint) remains unharmed.

Thoughts?

Last edited by angrypengu; 05-10-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

My windows on 2020 S8 are all tinted and no issues. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 01-22-2023, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathfinder11
My windows on 2020 S8 are all tinted and no issues. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Yes, mine are scratched, and I haven't found any polish that will make things better rather than worse.
Old 01-22-2023, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pathfinder11
I’ve had the windows on all my Audis (current A8L, Allroad, Q5, R8 and past A8L, Q5, A3 and RS7) tinted and never encountered this problem.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

I had scratches on mine when I bought my CPO, I removed and re-tinted with a reputable shop with their most expensive ceramic tint and no scratches on multiple usage so far. I suggest remove and re-tint with a guarantee.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default No problems either

I used Xpel XR Plus nano ceramic tint and have had no issues either.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 63 Posts

Are we talking about the tinted glass from the factory or are we talking about after market tinted film that people get fitted?

Quick Reply: If you tint your Audi A8, don't roll down the window